Off Topic Messages

George Jones dead

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:48 pm

http://www.wsmv.com/story/22087106/coun ... XqNucP5hYE Just thought i'd pass it along

Re: George Jones dead

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:50 pm

What a loss to the country music world. I saw Jones many times in his prime and he was something else.

He definitely stopped loving her today.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Sad news indeed, my favorite country singer EVER. I am shocked to hear he is gone. He was in the middle of a farewell tour, which was to end on November 22nd in Nashville in front of 15,000 fans, with an all star list of country stars. I assume this show will go on now, as a tribute and memorial, So sad....

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Radio Lover is one of my country faves...also like the duet Crying Time..really sad to hear this..RIP..George

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 pm

My wife and I in the last year or so have become big fans, my wife even a bigger fan than me. We were planning on possibly traveling to see him perform on this latest tour since he wasn't going to be stopping in our area. She's going to be upset for sure.

I also have to say this about all of these legends that are leaving us. Not only are they going away but I think the status of 'legend' is slowly disappearing as well. Aside from maybe Bruce Springsteen and maybe a small handful of others, you don't see many of these types of people in show business anymore. There are alot of 'superstars' out there, but I think their celebrity is larger than their talent. When they go, they'll be gone and easily forgotten. People like George Jones and others who not only had talent, but a unique way of communicating with people, will continue to have their work seen and heard by future generations.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 pm

RIP to a great talent.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 pm

phpBB [video]

What a loss, my favorite song by him is "He Stopped Loving Her Today"

JosephC

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 pm

George Jones was country music. An absolute giant. Im very grateful I got to see him perform. He absolutely brought the house down that night.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I always got lucky with you in my tender years.

What a tremendous loss to the music world.

R.I.P. George and thank you for the wonderful legacy you left us.

phpBB [video]

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm

JosephC wrote:
phpBB [video]

JosephC

Mine too....but it carries sad memories for me.....:(

It took them over a year to record that timeless song because of George's substance abuse at the time.

Rest in peace, George, and my sympathies go out to your lovely wife, Nancy.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:14 pm

The singer’s singer, the gold standard of how to sing a country song, a primitive vocal genius and the Sinatra of hardcore traditional country music. So many stars, from the past to the present, in different genres, listened to him.
His voice was much weaker when he was in his 80s, but it still had that soul and flair for phrasing. He was a great unifier, who sang about ordinary people and made them feel amazing. You will never die, George.

Garth Brooks:

For years and years they’ve tried to figure out how to put lightning in a bottle. Every time you record George Jones, you have it!

The greatest voice to ever grace country music will never die. Jones has a place in every heart that ever loved any kind of music.

Tammy Wynette:

The greatest voice in country music, both past and present, certainly is that of George Jones. Never have I heard a voice packed with such emotion and feeling and I truly doubt that we’ll ever hear an equal. Some of the proudest moments of my career are my recordings with George. Long live the King!

Patty Loveless:

George Jones: Every note of his voice pierces my heart. He moves every emotion in my soul. He is my hero

Clint Black:

George Jones has depicted the life struggles of ordinary people in his music and in his personal life. There will never be another one like him and I’ve been honoured to work with him.

Elvis Costello

Who can compare to George Jones? Frank Sinatra? Billie Holiday? Ray Charles? Van Morrison? Aretha Franklin? George Jones doesn’t sing country songs, he only sings George Jones songs.

Frank Sinatra:

...the second best white singer in America.

Kenny Chesney:

He had a voice that was the truth, raw and unfiltered. You can't get any realer, any more tortured or any more alive. No one can do what George Jones does, and that's why 50 years later, he still stands out as one of the greatest singers in any genre of all time.

He was just so good:

http://todayentertainment.today.com/_ne ... r-recorded

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Jones was a fantastic singer. I saw him in concert once, and he had a cold. He still sounded great!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:45 pm

JosephC wrote:
phpBB [video]

JosephC

I was going to post that song. I like the one you posted.

Here's a lyrics only version of "He Stopped Loving Her Today"

phpBB [video]

May he sleep in peace.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:00 am

Terrible news. He was my favorite country singer
What a life he had !!!! His book "I lived to tell it all" is fascinating

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:55 am

In 1999, CMA would not allow George to perform his hit song "Choices" on stage during the awards show. People were apalled by this decision, so in protest, country singer Alan Jackson did this out of respect for the legend.........right out of the blue, unscripted. True class !!

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:33 pm

"He stop Loving Her Today",has got to be the saddest country song these ears ever heard!
Elvis Presley says "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" does it for him,But i have to go with George's mega hit.

While George had his share of demons,He was just outstanding when it came to singing country music.
...and anyone who would drive his riding lawnmower to....well you know the rest of da story.
he will be missed....for a long,long time!
RIP George Jones

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:In 1999, CMA would not allow George to perform his hit song "Choices" on stage during the awards show. People were apalled by this decision, so in protest, country singer Alan Jackson did this out of respect for the legend.........right out of the blue, unscripted. True class !!

Close.

They told George that time wouldn't permit and that he could only perform one verse of the song. How in the hell do you tell George Jones that there isn't enough time for him to sing his song? Anyway, George told them that he wouldn't be there if he wasn't going to perform the entire song. They told George, "Thank you very much." Big mistake.

That's when Alan Jackson came in to the picture. Atta boy, Alan.

You can tell that Alan, and a few other stars that night, were pissed.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Rob wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:In 1999, CMA would not allow George to perform his hit song "Choices" on stage during the awards show. People were apalled by this decision, so in protest, country singer Alan Jackson did this out of respect for the legend.........right out of the blue, unscripted. True class !!

Close.

They told George that time wouldn't permit and that he could only perform one verse of the song. How in the hell do you tell George Jones that there isn't enough time for him to sing his song? Anyway, George told them that he wouldn't be there if he wasn't going to perform the entire song. They told George, "Thank you very much." Big mistake.

Yes, Rob that was how I remembered it too.

George had almost died in a car accident and had inched his way back to health, and people people were wondering just how Alan Jackson was going to register his displeasure at the lack of repect that the slick CMA show organisers were showing to George. As this clip shows, Alan sung George's recent song, Choices, and then abruptly left the stage. A gesture that made an impact. Alan became a champion to me that day. I read that George watched that show from his room and was blown away by Alan's support and wept. Top man, Alan.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Suds wrote:
Rob wrote:

Close.

Yes, Rob that was how I remembered it too.

George had almost died in a car accident and had inched his way back to health, and people people were wondering just how Alan Jackson was going to register his displeasure at the lack of repect that the slick CMA show organisers were showing to George. As this clip shows, Alan sung George's recent song, Choices, and then abruptly left the stage. A gesture that made an impact. Alan became a champion to me that day. I read that George watched that show from his room and was blown away by Alan's support and wept. Top man, Alan.

You are both correct. Alan showed a lot of class by doing that. It's one reason I have come to hate the CMAs because of the "big suits" that are behind the scenes. The fans of this show get NO SAY in who wins. It's all voted on by a bunch of the "guys in the suits". It's pure B.S and Na$hVega$ politics, IMO.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:52 pm

I saw what they called the Country Explosion Show several times in the 1980s and '90s that featured George Jones, Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard.

You talk about one hot ticket!

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Singing "Choices" and walking off the stage was Alan Jackson's way of saying 'F-U- CMA'.

I remember it was a big deal here in Nashville at the time. It was all over country radio here in Nashville. Many of the older stars called into a local radio station to show support for what Alan did and show support for George as well. I especially remember Waylon Jennings on a radio show showing his displeasure for the CMA. He had a "run-in" with them some years before.

R.I.P. George Jones - the greatest country voice ever!

RKS

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:53 pm

George Jones was one of the best for sure.

R.I.P.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:47 am

R.I.P George

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:53 am

Another legend gone but a legacy that will last.RIP George.

norrie

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:23 am

George was one of my favorites. I saw him in concert around 6 years ago and loved it.

Two of my favorites:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]