Elvis Saw Nancy at Caesar's --> It's Really No Mystery Now!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:33 am

NOTE: breaking information has found that Elvis was not at the Forum for Tom, but Caesar's for Nancy!

Not Inglewood but Las Vegas!!

Probably not July 25, but August 6!!!

See -->
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73357&p=1100506#p1100506

Thanks to jonburrows for cracking the CLUE in the black and white photo below.

Sorry Tom! ;-)

-----

Every now and then a dedicated Presley fan finds information that indicates a common dating of some candids is incorrect.

All of these images below are supposed to be from a Tom Jones show "at Caesar's Palace" in Las Vegas "in October 1970."

700806_at Nancy Sinatra_Caesar's Palace_01.JPG
With female fan.

700806_at Nancy Sinatra_Caesar's Palace_02.JPG
With Richard Davis, Felton Jarvis

700806_at Nancy Sinatra_Caesar's Palace_03.JPG
With Charlie Hodge, Richard Davis, Felton Jarvis

Well, research strongly implies Tom Jones was not at Caesar's Palace in September OR October 1970. And in fact, his first appearance there was in 1971.

Caesar's Palace Headliners, September-November 1970*
Frank Sinatra = 9-03 to 9-21-1970 (cancelled after 9-05, replaced by Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 on 9-10)
Tony Bennett = 10-01 to 10-14-1970 (delayed 2 days by laryngitis, comedian Woody Woodbury filled in)
Petula Clark = 10-15 to 10-28-1970
Harry Belafonte = 10-29-1970 to 11-18-1970
*See scans in next post.

If we are certain it is a Tom Jones show Elvis is at in those photos, it seems Jones DID play the Inglewood Forum on Saturday, July 25, 1970, with support from the Count Basie Orchestra, Gladys Knight & the Pips and comedian Norm Crosby.

700500_Tom Jones 1970 Itinerary.jpg
Tom Jones Tour Itinerary, May 1970

700724_Jones_Forum ad.JPG
Ad for July 25, 1970 Forum show

This date would fit with Presley's appearance at this time, and he was definitely in Los Angeles, and Richard Davis and Felton Jarvis were around him at this time. And we see both Davis and Jarvis in MGM's documentary, filmed in July-August. Note that Elvis was working at RCA Hollywood, rehearing for his impending Las Vegas engagement -- we even have an excellent RCA Hollywood rehearsal recording from Friday, July 24, in both unofficial and official form. And some of the imagery in the background of the black and white photo looks like something from the Forum.

So, if we're talking Tom Jones, then the photos are from Elvis and his crew at the Inglewood Forum, catching Jones in concert on a hot Saturday evening in the summer of 1970 - July 25th to be exact.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Elvis Saw Tom at the Forum --> It's No Mystery Now!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:35 am

More info on Caesar's Palace Headliners noted in opening post:

Billboard - Aug 29 1970 p18.jpg
Billboard - August 29, 1970
Notes Sinatra booking.

Billboard - Oct 10 1970 p43.jpg
Billboard - October 10, 1970
Notes Bennett booking, not to mention neat "thank you" ad for Elvis and the Colonel.

Billboard - Oct 24 1970 p28.jpg
Billboard - October 24, 1970
Notes Clark and Belafonte bookings.

The rest of my information comes from contemporaneous newspaper reports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:35 am

Wow! Many thanks. This took some WORK! It's much appreciated. :smt023

rjm
P.S. -- Saw the other thread; so who's that girl?

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:28 am

rjm wrote:Wow! Many thanks. This took some WORK! It's much appreciated. :smt023

rjm
P.S. -- Saw the other thread; so who's that girl?

Is it not Pris? Also agree that the backgound in the other 2 photos looks like the forum. Look at the photo of the sign above Charley's head you can see RM above SBY or noRM croSBY.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:23 am

Good work. I was saying in another thread that Elvis did not look like this in October 1970. he did in TTWII. no one would listen.

People should go look at pics of Elvis in October 1970 again. they don't match.

and that does not look like priscilla at all!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:31 am

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... A1970.html

This is how Elvis looked in October 1970...

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:00 pm

I take a deep bow,
fantastic research

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Every now and then a dedicated Presley fan finds information that indicates a common dating of some candids is incorrect.

All of these images below are supposed to be from a Tom Jones show "at Caesar's Palace" in Las Vegas "in October 1970."

250770_at Jones show_Inglewood Forum.JPG
With female fan.

250770_at Jones show_Inglewood Forum_02.JPG
With Richard Davis, Felton Jarvis

250770_at Jones show_Inglewood Forum_03.JPG
With Charlie Hodge, Richard Davis, Felton Jarvis

Well, research strongly implies Tom Jones was not at Caesar's Palace in September OR October 1970. And in fact, his first appearance there was in 1971.

Caesar's Palace Headliners, September-November 1970*
Frank Sinatra = 9-03 to 9-21-1970 (cancelled after 9-05, replaced by Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 on 9-10)
Tony Bennett = 10-01 to 10-14-1970 (delayed 2 days by laryngitis, comedian Woody Woodbury filled in)
Petula Clark = 10-15 to 10-28-1970
Harry Belafonte = 10-29-1970 to 11-18-1970
*See scans in next post.

If we are certain it is a Tom Jones show Elvis is at in those photos, it seems Jones DID play the Inglewood Forum on Saturday, July 25, 1970, with support from the Count Basie Orchestra, Gladys Knight & the Pips and comedian Norm Crosby.

700500_Tom Jones 1970 Itinerary.jpg
Tom Jones Tour Itinerary, May 1970

700724_Jones_Forum ad.JPG
Ad for July 25, 1970 Forum show

This date would fit with Presley's appearance at this time, and he was definitely in Los Angeles, and Richard Davis and Felton Jarvis were around him at this time. And we see both Davis and Jarvis in MGM's documentary, filmed in July-August. Note that Elvis was working at RCA Hollywood, rehearing for his impending Las Vegas engagement -- we even have an excellent RCA Hollywood rehearsal recording from Friday, July 24, in both unofficial and official form. And some of the imagery in the background of the black and white photo looks like something from the Forum.

So, if we're talking Tom Jones, then the photos are from Elvis and his crew at the Inglewood Forum, catching Jones in concert on a hot Saturday evening in the summer of 1970 - July 25th to be exact.

Thank you.

Thanks Doc. Fantastic stuff. Interesting that Gladys Kinigt and the Pips were Tom Jones support act!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:23 pm

good work Doc..... 8) 8)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Fantastic research Doc thanks, Elvis sure looks good in those pictures ::rocks

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Stupendous is the first word that comes to mind. Great detective work, as usual, Doc! smt125

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Great work Doc! Can we agree that the Jones show is the only show Elvis ever attended at the Inglewood forum?

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Excellent work, Doc!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Well done, John !.... ::rocks

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:46 pm

excellent work my friend!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks John

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Once again DOC you treat us with another wonderful article and information. This Elvis fan appreciates your contributions. Thanks very much. ::rocks

rlj

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:32 pm

That IS Priscilla in the first photo with Elvis. I could tell it was her as soon as i laid my eyes on the pic.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:06 pm

elvisbot wrote:That IS Priscilla in the first photo with Elvis. I could tell it was her as soon as i laid my eyes on the pic.

Get some glasses buddy.lol

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:48 pm

elvisbot wrote:That IS Priscilla in the first photo with Elvis. I could tell it was her as soon as i laid my eyes on the pic.

not a chance..........

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Tom Jones played a near month-long engagement at the International Hotel during April/May 1970, so it's not beyond the realms [in fact more likely] that the photographs actually pertain to Elvis attending Jones' Las Vegas show, possibly on opening night - April 20, 1970.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:39 pm

The Doc rocks, once again !!! :D

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:52 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Tom Jones played a near month-long engagement at the International Hotel during April/May 1970, so it's not beyond the realms [in fact more likely] that the photographs actually pertain to Elvis attending Jones' Las Vegas show, possibly on opening night - April 20, 1970.

Of course, this is possible. The thing is, would Elvis have such a deep tan in April? And why would producer Felton Jarvis be there? It makes more sense that Jarvis is with him in July, as he was at RCA Hollywood during the rehearsals for Presley's impending Vegas show. Had Elvis decided to see Tom, it would be a very easy jaunt to get to the Forum from RCA Hollywood, not even a half-hour drive.

RCA Hollywood
6363 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
to
Inglewood Forum
3900 West Manchester Boulevard  Inglewood, CA 90301

See map --> http://goo.gl/maps/oGWTF

Besides, the background and signage in the black and white photo looks nothing like the backstage shots we have from the International in that era.

If anyone has any more evidence, it would be great to see it. Thanks for the kudos, everyone.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Great Stuff Doc,

Always a pleasure reading your posts.

Elvis looked very good.

He should have always tried to keep a tan.

::rocks

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Do we know a whole lot about Elvis' activities in April of 1970? Seems like he had a quiet month. I know The Wonder Of You was released on the date in question I believe.