Re: Sammy Does Elvis In '58 --> It's No Mystery!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 pm

londonflash wrote:
greystoke wrote:No problem, Doc. Sammy has spoken well and highly of Elvis over the years. He was a marvellous entertainer -- one of the absolute best in many ways. Why Me? is one of the finest show business autobiographies, whilst his memoir and chronicle of the movie business, Hollywood in a Suitcase, remains one of the best books of its kind. Here, in remembering Elvis, he said that he never rated the "spate of books that came out after Presley's death." And concluded that he was never allowed the flexibility he needed as an artist.

Good to see you posting, greystoke.

Agreed!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Thank you, both.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:33 am

Great topic and some cracking replies folks.It's obvious that Sammy held Elvis in great esteem and the feeling was mutual.I've really enjoyed reading this topic and watching/listening to the youtube links.

norrie

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Great topic Doc!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:00 am

Joe Car wrote:Great topic Doc!

Thank you.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:00 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Davis's Hound Dog parody has been on record for decades, released in 1962 on his Coconut Grove live album ... It's a great example of what works well on stage doesn't always work well on record!

Not really.

We have no idea what arrangement Davis used on the stage of the Moulin Rouge in February 1958, only that Elvis loved it.

We can make an educated guess. He was doing a similar excerpt from Hound Dog (though not with What'd I Say) as early as 1960 (available on bootleg many years back), and as late as 1973. The chances of the earlier rendition being anything other than this kind of schtick is extremely unlikely. Davis did do a serious rendition of I Got A Woman in the late 1950s, though, backed by the Count Basie orchestra.

phpBB [video]

damn good version!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 am

Sammy LOVED women.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:43 am

Love Sammy's quote about equating Elvis to baseball... paraphrasing a bit here but: "Elvis is like baseball... he really is... he's like football, baseball... doesn't mean that everybody likes the game, but boy does it create excitement."