Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Stop it! You are obviously some Beatles troll and whilst there's nothing bad about that, you being here pretending for so long is a lil spooky and slightly sinister.


I don't see it.


You can't see it... it's a smell (fishy)!

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:53 am

jungleroombear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Stop it! You are obviously some Beatles troll and whilst there's nothing bad about that, you being here pretending for so long is a lil spooky and slightly sinister.


I don't see it.


You can't see it... it's a smell (fishy)!


Well, bears do LOVE fish ... ;-)

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Stop it! You are obviously some Beatles troll and whilst there's nothing bad about that, you being here pretending for so long is a lil spooky and slightly sinister.


I don't see it.


You can't see it... it's a smell (fishy)!


Well, bears do LOVE fish ... ;-)


:wink: :wink:

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Suds wrote:Interesting pairing from January 1978. Thanks.

The older I get, the more appreciate the Pistols and Punk. They entered our world when music was losing touch with its roots through its self-indulgence. One of my favourite stories connected with Punk and Elvis concerns one Danny Baker. On the 16th August 1977, the young journalist announced over the PA to a hall full of punks that Elvis had died. Cheering followed. Outraged, Baker leapt onto the stage, called the Punks 'idiots' and said they would not be here today if it weren't for him, and they should really show some respect. Also, the cover from Clash's "London Calling" album shows that Punk and Elvis were linked by rock n roll. The spirit of 1956 lived on.


Great post. And the Clash's cover homage still shines today.

The original 1956 cover of the first album is perfection:

Image

Elvis Presley (RCA, March 1956)


And 23 years later:
The Clash, another

Image

The Clash - London Calling (CBS, December 1979)

The Clash, another great band! Joe Strummer always had an admiration for the 50's Elvis.

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:35 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:The Clash, another great band! Joe Strummer always had an admiration for the 50's Elvis.


Yup. His fav Elvis song was "Crawfish."

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:The Clash, another great band! Joe Strummer always had an admiration for the 50's Elvis.


Yup. His fav Elvis song was "Crawfish."

Really...didn't know that! Interestinog choice of song

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:38 pm

"Good riddance to bad rubbish" !!!!

"Elvis died when he went into the army !"

Ah ha ha ha ... ----in' ay, They couldn't have been more right ! Spectacular !

Jeez, I hate Elvis !

Long Live "The Sex Pistols" !!!

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:56 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:I was 14 back in 1977 when I first heard the Sex PIstols and Punk in general, and the ridiculous response from the media, which only endeared the movement to other kids like myself, I can remember thinking back then that it was a similar, albeit on a smaller scale, response to how Elvis was first viewed/treated back in the 50's, and they rescued me from a lifetime of Abba, Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man :)

To align a group of ABBA's magnitude and significance with the likes of Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man is just silly.

Are you aware that Glen Matlock's riffs on Pretty Vacant were inspired by ABBA's S.O.S. ?



That's how my 14 year old brain worked at the time, and yes, I am.

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Liverbobs wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:I was 14 back in 1977 when I first heard the Sex PIstols and Punk in general, and the ridiculous response from the media, which only endeared the movement to other kids like myself, I can remember thinking back then that it was a similar, albeit on a smaller scale, response to how Elvis was first viewed/treated back in the 50's, and they rescued me from a lifetime of Abba, Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man :)

To align a group of ABBA's magnitude and significance with the likes of Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man is just silly.

Are you aware that Glen Matlock's riffs on Pretty Vacant were inspired by ABBA's S.O.S. ?



That's how my 14 year old brain worked at the time, and yes, I am.

Super trouper.

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Interesting original post Doc, I hadn't realised that the Sex Pistols played a date in Memphis. Would this have been because they realised that was where punk had started?

I was already 32 when they came out so wasn't personnally into them, But I did at the time, and still do, appreciate the fact that they took the whole scene back to its roots, back from all the glitter and over the top showmanship of many 70's acts that came before them, including the last few years of 'over the top' Elvis.

Regarding an earlier post from R@B, If Elvis had gone on a world tour in 1970 after he first conquered Vegas, that, I feel sure, would have been the biggest event in populer history.

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:Interesting original post Doc, I hadn't realised that the Sex Pistols played a date in Memphis. Would this have been because they realised that was where punk had started?

I was already 32 when they came out so wasn't personnally into them, But I did at the time, and still do, appreciate the fact that they took the whole scene back to its roots, back from all the glitter and over the top showmanship of many 70's acts that came before them, including the last few years of 'over the top' Elvis.

Regarding an earlier post from R@B, If Elvis had gone on a world tour in 1970 after he first conquered Vegas, that, I feel sure, would have been the biggest event in populer history.


Thanks. The Pistols 1978 U.S. tour consciously chose mostly Southern cities, and avoided industry glamor spots like New York and Los Angeles, to be contrarian and to ramp up the controversy at each stop. It worked!

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:22 am

Liverbobs wrote:I was 14 back in 1977 when I first heard the Sex PIstols and Punk in general, and the ridiculous response from the media, which only endeared the movement to other kids like myself, I can remember thinking back then that it was a similar, albeit on a smaller scale, response to how Elvis was first viewed/treated back in the 50's, and they rescued me from a lifetime of Abba, Showaddywaddy and Brotherhood of Man :)

Whether you like them or not, they changed the music scene, influenced 100s of other bands and created one of the greatest albums of all time.


True but leave good ol' Showaddywaddy out of it !

norrie

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Fabulous original posting, John, thank you.

Elvis-as-punk is all a question of context: in his time he was at least as shocking as the Pistols seemed to many (including me).

Check out this quote* from Roy Orbison regarding a 1955 EP show:

First thing, he came out and spat out a piece of gum onto the stage. He was a punk kid. A weird-looking dude. I can't over-emphasize how shocking he looked and sounded to me that night. He did "Maybellene", and the kids started shouting. There was pandemonium 'cause the girls took a shine to him and the guys were getting jealous. Plus he told some real bad crude jokes. Dumb off-color humor. His diction was real coarse, like a truck driver's. But his energy was incredible and his instinct was just amazing.

This was not a performance from a smooth teen-idol -- this was full-on revolution.

*Quoted from http://www.706unionavenue.nl/108206814

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Elvis Presley the original punk rocker.

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:42 pm

George Smith wrote:Fabulous original posting, John, thank you.

Elvis-as-punk is all a question of context: in his time he was at least as shocking as the Pistols seemed to many (including me).

Check out this quote* from Roy Orbison regarding a 1955 EP show:

First thing, he came out and spat out a piece of gum onto the stage. He was a punk kid. A weird-looking dude. I can't over-emphasize how shocking he looked and sounded to me that night. He did "Maybellene", and the kids started shouting. There was pandemonium 'cause the girls took a shine to him and the guys were getting jealous. Plus he told some real bad crude jokes. Dumb off-color humor. His diction was real coarse, like a truck driver's. But his energy was incredible and his instinct was just amazing.

This was not a performance from a smooth teen-idol -- this was full-on revolution.

*Quoted from http://www.706unionavenue.nl/108206814


Great points, as always, George Smith.

Do note that Presley website you reference is notoriously inaccurate, takes its information from everywhere, and apparently does not credit its sources.

The Orbison quote, from likely his final interview, is far from what he originally said. Here is a bit of the actual statement:


"I saw Elvis live in '54 [sic]. It was at the Big D Jamboree in Dallas, and first thing, he came out and spat on the stage. In fact he spat out a piece of gum … Plus he told some real bad, crude jokes -- you know, this dumb off-color humor -- which weren't funny. And his diction was real coarse, like a truck driver's … I can't overemphasize how shocking he looked and seemed to me that night."

"The Face Interview" by Nick Kent
The Face, February 1989

890200_The Face.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:As for what Johnny Rotten said, in full, at the news of Elvis' death, it was part of his persona. But some who expressed "grief" were jumping on the bandwagon, cause that's the way of show-biz. But he had to be a "punk," of course.


Given that he was actually a fan of early Elvis, his statements are not only in line with the prevailing view of how outdated the old guard had become, but also reflect a deep sense of regret over Presley's sad fall from grace.


The incredible excitement that Elvis brought to me and others was really sad!!!!! :lol: :smt006 :facep: 8)

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:34 am

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:As for what Johnny Rotten said, in full, at the news of Elvis' death, it was part of his persona. But some who expressed "grief" were jumping on the bandwagon, cause that's the way of show-biz. But he had to be a "punk," of course.


Given that he was actually a fan of early Elvis, his statements are not only in line with the prevailing view of how outdated the old guard had become, but also reflect a deep sense of regret over Presley's sad fall from grace.


The incredible excitement that Elvis brought to me and others was really sad!!!!!


Thanks.

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:As for what Johnny Rotten said, in full, at the news of Elvis' death, it was part of his persona. But some who expressed "grief" were jumping on the bandwagon, cause that's the way of show-biz. But he had to be a "punk," of course.


Given that he was actually a fan of early Elvis, his statements are not only in line with the prevailing view of how outdated the old guard had become, but also reflect a deep sense of regret over Presley's sad fall from grace.


The incredible excitement that Elvis brought to me and others was really sad!!!!!


Thanks.


Aw, now . . .

phpBB [video]



8)

rjm

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:As for what Johnny Rotten said, in full, at the news of Elvis' death, it was part of his persona. But some who expressed "grief" were jumping on the bandwagon, cause that's the way of show-biz. But he had to be a "punk," of course.


Given that he was actually a fan of early Elvis, his statements are not only in line with the prevailing view of how outdated the old guard had become, but also reflect a deep sense of regret over Presley's sad fall from grace.

I, myself. Have never heard John Lydon say that he likes Elvis. I would like to hear him say something about him...what songs he likes etc. In fact, i'd like to know his influences in general. Even though i've been a Pistols fan and i like the "Never Mind The B*##*+ks" album. I don't really know too much about his life other then always liking that album.

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:As for what Johnny Rotten said, in full, at the news of Elvis' death, it was part of his persona. But some who expressed "grief" were jumping on the bandwagon, cause that's the way of show-biz. But he had to be a "punk," of course.


Given that he was actually a fan of early Elvis, his statements are not only in line with the prevailing view of how outdated the old guard had become, but also reflect a deep sense of regret over Presley's sad fall from grace.


The incredible excitement that Elvis brought to me and others was really sad!!!!!


Thanks.


I don't know if you realize it or not, but Elvis was extremely popular right up to the end. He was even as good and popular as acts like Bruce Springsteen I believe, even if his shows were a lot shorter, people seemed to like that Elvis guy quite a bit, I mean it seemed that way to me anyway?! 8) :smt006 :lol: 8)

Re: Elvis Defeats Sex Pistols --> January 1978!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 am

ian wrote:I don't know if you realize it or not, but Elvis was extremely popular right up to the end.


Yes, Elvis was taped for a TV special in 1977 that CBS put on the air on October 3.

It made quite an impact on the young punk rockers who saw it.