Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Was In The Ghetto considered for the Change of Habit film?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Today while Change of Habit was playing on Encore here in the USA, I became curious...does anyone know if "In the Ghetto" was considered for the film? Seems like a no-brainer, as indeed, much of COH was based down in the ghetto.

In The Ghetto was recorded on January 21, 1969. Less than two months later (March 5), Elvis was cutting the COH soundtrack @ Decca Universal Studio in Hollywood. Taken from the American Sound sessions, Rubberneckin' was added to the soundtrack, so any thoughts on why In The Ghetto wasn't included?

Re: Was In The Ghetto considered for the Change of Habit fil

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Probably because the script of the movie is intended for New York, yet the lyrics to "In The Ghetto" refer to Chicago.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 pm

I remember a long time ago hearing about In The Ghetto was supposed to have been sung by Elvis in the movie, but he refused because he felt it wasn't just another movie song specifically recorded for a soundtrack. He was very smart and wise to have thought that, if true.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 am

jeremylr wrote:Today while Change of Habit was playing on Encore here in the USA, I became curious...does anyone know if "In the Ghetto" was considered for the film?

No, it was not.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 am

I don't think it was ever considered because if mangement had wanted it in there they would have done it.

I've always heard that ''In the ghetto'' was recorded for inclusion in From Elvis in Memphis and then subsequently chosen as the single off that album.

You may be right that it could have fit into the movie but i'm glad they didn't go that route.

By 1969 it was time that Elvis focused on making music that wasn't tied into a film for a change.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:43 am

davie2001 wrote:As usual the Doc knows everything.

from the opening of the trailer: "Elvis Presley in a change of pace roll of a doctor doing his best, to keep the lid on a red hot ghetto, Mary Tyler More"…….
phpBB [video]

I am not saying that "In The Ghetto" was or was not considered for the movie, but a little more research could/should be done on this, and I don't mean googling Doc..
And yes the story of the song was based on Chicago, but Hollywood doesn’t care about that , now does it, it’s never really been known for making thing 100% factual and Elvis movies would fall way short of them even trying.
What is known someone went through, the Jan/Feb 69 recordings to see what could possibly be used, and “Rubberneckin’” was chosen which was recorded just the day before “In The Ghetto”, it’s not hard to think it may have been considered.

Why be so rude and condescending, right off the bat? It's not even your topic. Is your self-esteem that low?

It is a fact the Mac Davis song was not considered for the film. There is nothing in the historical record to indicate otherwise, one I have studied for years in numerous books, magazines, television programs and films. Even a cursory knowledge of the recording process for "In The Ghetto" shows that the people involved knew almost instantly it would be the first single from the sessions, and that it would be a hit. Work towards this goal began immediately, including various vocal and brass and string overdubs, finishing on March 18. The RCA single was issued in April, the film would not be completed until May or delivered to theaters until November.

Make all the snide "Google" cracks you wish, it just makes you look even more ignorant and petty. You should choose a different path. You should be an adult. Food for thought.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 pm

davie2001 wrote:Sorry if I ...

Please come back when you can behave like a grown-up. Thanks.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Doc you the one that needs to grow up, kink of the childish jibs :oops: :wink:
As usual you fail to read a complete post and pick on what suits your agenda "Sorry but if the cap fits" :oops: :wink:
and its always good to see your googling work :oops: :wink:

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Here we go ...

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 pm

In The Ghetto in Change Of habit makes about as much sense as using Wearing That Loved On Look in the film. :roll:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 pm

promiseland wrote:In The Ghetto in Change Of habit makes about as much sense as using Wearing That Loved On Look in the film. :roll:

I just can't think of a place in the movie where it would fit. Rubberneckin' worked fine as a fun uptempo song where a song was being sung just for enjoyment. In The Ghetto is a great song and performance but would have out of place in COH.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 am

You seem to know some folks awfully well 'round here, for someone who would normally be be announcing that he was "new." Fine how-do-you-do . . .

JustArrived.jpg

Just sayin'

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 am

It's nothing new ...