Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: BOXCAR “ELVIS ALOHA via SATELLITE” BOOK INFO & TRAILER

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 pm

moffringa wrote:Get real, please. Aloha from Hawaii was more of a Barnum & Bailey act with great settings and great costumes to highlight
Elvis his status as a worldwilde entertainer. Yes he looked fantastic compared when you look at the Elvis On Tour concerts where he
looked somewhat puffy in the face but when it comes to an Elvis concert we were used to since 1969 the concert itself was to static.
The only thing wha moved alot were the camera angles to make it look somewhat exiting. And the fact that Elvis sang from cue cards
(openingscene etc.) showed that Elvis was now at a standstill and nowhere what he was despite this concert.

Very good points.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:38 am

moffringa wrote:
Kylan wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Let me clarify so there's no confusion... it was a great show, great setlist and Elvis looked and sounded fantastic... there, now you can all move on. :smt023

Exactly! Elvis put out more excitement, more power, and more enjoyment in that one hr than all you pinheads put together if you lived a thousand lifetimes each. I know that's tough to handle but true nevertheless.

Get real, please. Aloha from Hawaii was more of a Barnum & Bailey act with great settings and great costumes to highlight
Elvis his status as a worldwilde entertainer. Yes he looked fantastic compared when you look at the Elvis On Tour concerts where he
looked somewhat puffy in the face but when it comes to an Elvis concert we were used to since 1969 the concert itself was to static.
The only thing wha moved alot were the camera angles to make it look somewhat exiting. And the fact that Elvis sang from cue cards
(openingscene etc.) showed that Elvis was now at a standstill and nowhere what he was despite this concert.

Infact it was Elvis himself who said that if i am not able to exite people with my actions moves i should quit the business cause
people pay good money to be entertained. If i just stand still and sing i should do something else.

The Aloha show a Barnum & Bailey act? I thought I'd heard them all. Never ceazes to amaze me baby...

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:19 am

Simon1 wrote:The Aloha show a Barnum & Bailey act? I thought I'd heard them all. Never ceazes to amaze me baby...

Let's be honest, the show might as well have been called "Aloha From Las Vegas" considering the style and presentation of the show.

Elvis was going before the world with his live telecast, did the global audience really want and expect a glitzy Vegas concert?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:29 am

Matthew wrote:
Simon1 wrote:The Aloha show a Barnum & Bailey act? I thought I'd heard them all. Never ceazes to amaze me baby...

Let's be honest, the show might as well have been called "Aloha From Las Vegas" considering the style and presentation of the show.

Elvis was going before the world with his live telecast, did the global audience really want and expect a glitzy Vegas concert?

It's what Elvis was doing at the time and that's what they got.In 1968 they got an exciting,dynamic,reborn rock n roll Elvis.In 1977 they got a train wreck.In 1973 we see the middle ground.Not particularly exciting but still he showed the world he could darn well sing.

norrie

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:35 am

Matthew wrote:

This is who Elvis was at that time Matthew. And judging by the reviews from the time and my personal recollections of people's reactions I'd say it was received more than positive. I honestly don't understand all the criticism about this TV special. You can't please everyone remember. And what do you think people might have been expecting other than a 'Vegas concert'? I'm sure they were aware he wasn't the gyrating youngster from the Fifties anymore, TTWII and On Tour showed that.
Elvis was performing these kind of shows at that time in his career and to have done a completely different show would have been stranger I think. The man looked outstanding, I think he sang real well, it was a mix of rock, ballad, blues and country, I mean the man did his best... Some might say he sang too many ballads, others might say he should have sung more of his own hits etc. To me he did one outstanding job, and yes I would have liked to have seen a frenzied Polk Salad ala TTWII, but like I said you can't please everyone.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:36 am

if I remember correctly some of the ratings in other countries were amazing, to say the least...and clearly showed that a world tour would have been very successful

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:41 am

Simon1 wrote:This is who Elvis was at that time Matthew. And judging by the reviews from the time and my personal recollections of people's reactions I'd say it was received more than positive. I honestly don't understand all the criticism about this TV special. You can't please everyone remember. And what do you think people might have been expecting other than a 'Vegas concert'? I'm sure they were aware he wasn't the gyrating youngster from the Fifties anymore, TTWII and On Tour showed that.
Elvis was performing these kind of shows at that time in his career and to have done a completely different show would have been stranger I think. The man looked outstanding, I think he sang real well, it was a mix of rock, ballad, blues and country, I mean the man did his best... Some might say he sang too many ballads, others might say he should have sung more of his own hits etc. To me he did one outstanding job, and yes I would have liked to have seen a frenzied Polk Salad ala TTWII, but like I said you can't please everyone.

On Tour came out in November 1972, Aloha aired in January 1973, and April 1973 in the US. Only 9 months separate the performances in On Tour and that given on January 14th, 1973. Even from watching On Tour one would wonder where all of Elvis' energy is in Hawaii, despite being trimmer.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 am

Aloha was a milestone and listing several shortcomings in 2013 is narrow minded as the format was designed to capture a broad audience in a unique way, presented by Elvis performing a diverse set and music style.. including new songs.
Elvis at his best? Maybe not but people who actually saw the special in 73 know it made an impact.
Album sales did very well too.

The fair heat should go to the CBS special, where nothing was done by Elvis, EP management and CBS producers to show Elvis was still a top act in popular music.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:48 am

Matthew wrote:
Simon1 wrote:This is who Elvis was at that time Matthew. And judging by the reviews from the time and my personal recollections of people's reactions I'd say it was received more than positive. I honestly don't understand all the criticism about this TV special. You can't please everyone remember. And what do you think people might have been expecting other than a 'Vegas concert'? I'm sure they were aware he wasn't the gyrating youngster from the Fifties anymore, TTWII and On Tour showed that.

On Tour came out in November 1972, Aloha aired in January 1973, and April 1973 in the US. Only 9 months separate the performances in On Tour and that given on January 14th, 1973. Even from watching On Tour one would wonder where all of Elvis' energy is in Hawaii, despite being trimmer.

He was setting the pace for the show in coming years. At the time he was 38 and in those days Rock stars of that age were considered old, it's not like these days. I wasn't there but from what I've read Elvis was concerned about being a 40 year old singer doing Hound Dog. He wanted to put more emphasis on his voice instead of the movements. I don't think it was an unwise choice. And yes he said early in his career that if he didn't move on stage he'd be dead, but he couldn't haver foreseen how long he'd be in the business and everything else. It's also true that he moved more in later shows sometimes, I'm sure the pressure of doing this live show also inhibited him somewhat. He was nervous as hell before going on is what I've read.
All in all, I like Aloha, always have and hopefully always will.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:12 am

The fact that there were cue cards is nothing to lose sleep about. Artists use them today in the form of monitors that are hooked to computers. It was 1973, the technology wasn't there.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:22 am

Robert wrote:Aloha was a milestone and listing several shortcomings in 2013 is narrow minded as the format was designed to capture a broad audience in a unique way, presented by Elvis performing a diverse set and music style.. including new songs. Elvis at his best? Maybe not but people who actually saw the special in 73 know it made an impact. Album sales did very well too.
The fair heat should go to the CBS special, where nothing was done by Elvis, EP management and CBS producers to show Elvis was still a top act in popular music.

Bingo!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:30 am

Robert wrote:The fair heat should go to the CBS special, where nothing was done by Elvis, EP management and CBS producers to show Elvis was still a top act in popular music.

That would have been an impossible task.

Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 am

Some preview pages from the book. Just In sent in, through email.
The book is of course still scheduled for release in at the start of June 2013.
phpBB [video]

PEP 8)

Wed May 01, 2013 4:04 am

Simon1 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

He was setting the pace for the show in coming years. At the time he was 38 and in those days Rock stars of that age were considered old, it's not like these days. I wasn't there but from what I've read Elvis was concerned about being a 40 year old singer doing Hound Dog. He wanted to put more emphasis on his voice instead of the movements. I don't think it was an unwise choice. And yes he said early in his career that if he didn't move on stage he'd be dead, but he couldn't haver foreseen how long he'd be in the business and everything else. It's also true that he moved more in later shows sometimes, I'm sure the pressure of doing this live show also inhibited him somewhat. He was nervous as hell before going on is what I've read.
All in all, I like Aloha, always have and hopefully always will.

If the emphasis was on the voice, and if he wanted that way, he should have concentrated on singing the ballads in his set with the attention they deserved. As it is, both Something and Welcome to my World are effectively throwaways.

Wed May 01, 2013 6:20 am

PEP wrote:Some preview pages from the book. Just In sent in, through email.
The book is of course still scheduled for release in at the start of June 2013.
phpBB [video]

PEP 8)

Looks like a beautiful book PEP to commemorate an incredible show! Wish I had it in my budget to pick up this year...

Wed May 01, 2013 10:36 am

Looks like the ultimate book on the special.

Wed May 01, 2013 3:08 pm

moffringa wrote:
Kylan wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Let me clarify so there's no confusion... it was a great show, great setlist and Elvis looked and sounded fantastic... there, now you can all move on. :smt023

Exactly! Elvis put out more excitement, more power, and more enjoyment in that one hr than all you pinheads put together if you lived a thousand lifetimes each. I know that's tough to handle but true nevertheless.

Get real, please. Aloha from Hawaii was more of a Barnum & Bailey act with great settings and great costumes to highlight

Infact it was Elvis himself who said that if i am not able to exite people with my actions moves i should quit the business cause
people pay good money to be entertained. If i just stand still and sing i should do something else.

Brad from Canada was right....you're not anywhere near an Elvis fan....go crawl under your rock....

People keep FORGETTING that this was a TELEVISION SPECIAL and he had certain 'marks' in the show that he had to hit for the camera angles and there was a freaking TIME-LIMIT!! If this was a NORMAL Elvis show (like the rehearsal show seemed to be), I guarantee you we wouldn't even be dissing Aloha!! Right?!?!?

Wed May 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
moffringa wrote:
Kylan wrote:

Brad from Canada was right....you're not anywhere near an Elvis fan....go crawl under your rock....

People keep FORGETTING that this was a TELEVISION SPECIAL and he had certain 'marks' in the show that he had to hit for the camera angles and there was a freaking TIME-LIMIT!! If this was a NORMAL Elvis show (like the rehearsal show seemed to be), I guarantee you we wouldn't even be dissing Aloha!! Right?!?!?

Of course not, because the rehearsal was so much better! :roll: Presley's shows during this period were, for the most part, dull. The Aloha show is on par with the workmanlike shows that followed in Vegas a few weeks later - little excitement, a relatively thin voice, and little to no dialogue. Let's forget the lack of movement, Elvis sounds half asleep at time - and you can't blame that on the TV cameras. Everyone seemed excited about the special...except the performer.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 am

poormadpeter wrote:Of course not, because the rehearsal was so much better! :roll: Presley's shows during this period were, for the most part, dull. The Aloha show is on par with the workmanlike shows that followed in Vegas a few weeks later - little excitement, a relatively thin voice, and little to no dialogue. Let's forget the lack of movement, Elvis sounds half asleep at time - and you can't blame that on the TV cameras. Everyone seemed excited about the special...except the performer.

We all have our own opinions of the show... mine is far different than yours.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 am

elvis-fan wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Of course not, because the rehearsal was so much better! :roll: Presley's shows during this period were, for the most part, dull. The Aloha show is on par with the workmanlike shows that followed in Vegas a few weeks later - little excitement, a relatively thin voice, and little to no dialogue. Let's forget the lack of movement, Elvis sounds half asleep at time - and you can't blame that on the TV cameras. Everyone seemed excited about the special...except the performer.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:24 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
moffringa wrote:
Kylan wrote:

Of course not, because the rehearsal was so much better! :roll: Presley's shows during this period were, for the most part, dull. The Aloha show is on par with the workmanlike shows that followed in Vegas a few weeks later - little excitement, a relatively thin voice, and little to no dialogue. Let's forget the lack of movement, Elvis sounds half asleep at time - and you can't blame that on the TV cameras. Everyone seemed excited about the special...except the performer.

Just watch and listen to What Now My Love, An American Trilogy and Burning Love. Elvis doesn't seem to be excited? How excited did you expect him to be exactly? Did you expect a Moonwalk, burning his guitar or screaming Banshees on stage with him Like Lennon had?

Thu May 02, 2013 3:36 am

poormadpeter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that.

Absolutely.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 am

This is a beautiful display of this great show.
Nice to see so many projects like this are still coming out all these years later. Labor of love!

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Thu May 02, 2013 7:09 pm

A quick glimse of a review just posted on the EIN website :smt001

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_elvis_ ... oxcar.html

Sat May 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Tony.. wrote:
midnightx wrote:
YDKM wrote:There was absolutely Nothing wrong with Elvis's REPERTOIRE for the Aloha show.....

Oh, it wasn't without flaws.

Correct. Instead of "Something" (a poor cover of a Beatles song), "My way" (a middle of the road Sinatra dirge) and "Welcome to my world" (a nice Jim Reeves song but halfheartedly performed by Elvis), wouldn't the world rather have had "In the ghetto", "Return to sender", "It's now or never", "I'm leavin'", "It's only love", "The wonder of you" etc, etc as a few examples, NONE of which were included on any previous concert film or broadcast. Thank God he didn't include "You don't have to say you love me" again though.

While most of those tunes would've been good inclusions, It's Only Love had flopped as a single when released in '71, so there was no reason for it to be in the setlist. One Night; Little Sister-Get Back; It's Now Or Never; Jailhouse Rock(performed as something more than a quick knock-off); Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Separate Ways in place of Love Me; Johnny B. Goode; Welcome To My World; Blue Suede Shoes; I Can't Stop Loving You (solid, but already released on 2 previous live albums in superior renditions) and Something would've improved the setlist considerably.