Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Went to see Oz The Great and Powerful at the cinema in 3D last night it was awesome ! 10 out of 10 a must see.have always been a fan of the original and its finally great to see another oz movie to put along side it.the 3D effects are the best i have seen.

phpBB [video]

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 pm

rocknroller wrote:Went to see Oz The Great and Powerful at the cinema in 3D last night it was awesome ! 10 out of 10 a must see.have always been a fan of the original and its finally great to see another oz movie to put along side it.the 3D effects are the best i have seen.

phpBB [video]


Went to see it too last night but I thought somehow it was a kind of a letdown. The original "The Wizard Of Oz" is one of my all-time favorite movies and there probably lies the big problem for me.
First of all I didn't like Franco as the leading role, his constant grinning went on my nerves. Nobody really needed the cameos of Zach Braff and Bruce Campbell. Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis did a solid job, nothing more.
The movie had certain lenghts and some dialogues reminded me of a bad soap-opera.
Nevertheless I still kinda enjoyed it for the colours and the nice 3D effects - and I liked the porcelain girl :wink:
I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:12 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Went to see Oz The Great and Powerful at the cinema in 3D last night it was awesome ! 10 out of 10 a must see.have always been a fan of the original and its finally great to see another oz movie to put along side it.the 3D effects are the best i have seen.

phpBB [video]


Went to see it too last night but I thought somehow it was a kind of a letdown. The original "The Wizard Of Oz" is one of my all-time favorite movies and there probably lies the big problem for me.
First of all I didn't like Franco as the leading role, his constant grinning went on my nerves. Nobody really needed the cameos of Zach Braff and Bruce Campbell. Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis did a solid job, nothing more.
The movie had certain lenghts and some dialogues reminded me of a bad soap-opera.
Nevertheless I still kinda enjoyed it for the colours and the nice 3D effects - and I liked the porcelain girl :wink:
I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.



It know the movie wont be to everyones taste but as fan of the original movie too nothing will ever beat it but i did really like this movie very much.

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:04 pm

That's all right, rocknroller! :D

Just watched "A Good Day To Die Hard" last night, even though I was aware of the bad critics. And they proved right, it was bloody awful and a huge let-down for a "Die Hard" movie.

John Moore and Skip Woods f***ed this one up real bad. And not enough, there's probably a Director's Cut with additional twenty minutes on its way... :?

I'd give it 4 out of ten, just for the enjoyable (but totally overdone) action sequences. What a disappointment for the 25th anniversary of the "Die Hard"-series. :(

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:13 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:That's all right, rocknroller! :D

Just watched "A Good Day To Die Hard" last night, even though I was aware of the bad critics. And they proved right, it was bloody awful and a huge let-down for a "Die Hard" movie.

John Moore and Skip Woods f***ed this one up real bad. And not enough, there's probably a Director's Cut with additional twenty minutes on its way... :?

I'd give it 4 out of ten, just for the enjoyable (but totally overdone) action sequences. What a disappointment for the 25th anniversary of the "Die Hard"-series. :(



I enjoyed it for what it was another die hard for my collection but your right its not a great movie and its my least fav die hard by a long way.

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:58 pm

'Dark Knight Rises' on Blu-Ray. I haven't actually seen the first two in the series yet but sat and watched it with the family who had. Superb film. A few minor quibbles if you want to get picky but the cast and filming were superb. Anne Hathaway excelled as a pseudo 'Catwoman' (not referenced as such in the movie) despite pre-release concerns I'd read about. Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman can be found under superb, dependable, reliable, consistent etc in the dictionary, pick your own adjective. Tom Hardy did it for me. Why this guy is not top of the Hollywood call to list is beyond me. Joseph Gordon-Levittown is also worthy of mention, one to watch. All in all a great film.

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Oz
loved it from start to finish
thanks for the recomendation Pat

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:36 pm

keninlincs wrote:Oz
loved it from start to finish
thanks for the recomendation Pat



Your welcome ken ! glad you liked it mate !!!

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Mission Impossible 3, my favourite one in the series.

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 pm

I got to see The Paperboy last night, starring Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron and John Cusack. I ended the film by wondering how a film with so many wonderful performances could end up being anything but wonderful. Efron is truly a revelation, finally breaking away from his Disney-like just-a-pretty-face image - although, to be fair, he showed he could act in Me and Orson Welles from a few years back (and I'm rather fond of Charlie McCloud, soppy though the film is). Nicole Kidman also puts up a great performance, while Matthew McConaughey seems to play the same character he does in every film. Macy Gray is outstanding - so glad she can act better than she can sing.

Why this doesn't quite gel is a mystery. The film itself is set up as a mystery, but is more of a coming of age story about Efron's character, and yet it lurches in one direction and then another, ending up as neither a story about corruption, coming-of-age or murder. A series of great performances completely wasted in my opinion, and all due to what seems to be a lack of competency in the editing room.

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:37 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I got to see The Paperboy last night, starring Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron and John Cusack. I ended the film by wondering how a film with so many wonderful performances could end up being anything but wonderful. Efron is truly a revelation, finally breaking away from his Disney-like just-a-pretty-face image - although, to be fair, he showed he could act in Me and Orson Welles from a few years back (and I'm rather fond of Charlie McCloud, soppy though the film is). Nicole Kidman also puts up a great performance, while Matthew McConaughey seems to play the same character he does in every film. Macy Gray is outstanding - so glad she can act better than she can sing.

Why this doesn't quite gel is a mystery. The film itself is set up as a mystery, but is more of a coming of age story about Efron's character, and yet it lurches in one direction and then another, ending up as neither a story about corruption, coming-of-age or murder. A series of great performances completely wasted in my opinion, and all due to what seems to be a lack of competency in the editing room.



I've been waiting for someone else to mention this film. I absolutely loathed this film, I just found it very off.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:24 am

Seen both Hansel and Gretel & the croods at the cinema in 3D and both excellent.also seen The Guilt Trip it was ok, funny in parts.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:34 pm

rocknroller wrote:Seen both Hansel and Gretel & the croods at the cinema in 3D and both excellent.also seen The Guilt Trip it was ok, funny in parts.


I've been trying to swerve The Croods, but will have to see it at some point. Last week I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises and have watched it a few times since.

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 pm

The Hobbit was the last movie I saw....few days ago.
Enjoyed it but nearly as good as the LOTR movies.

Re: last movie you watched

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 am

Snake Eyes wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Seen both Hansel and Gretel & the croods at the cinema in 3D and both excellent.also seen The Guilt Trip it was ok, funny in parts.


I've been trying to swerve The Croods, but will have to see it at some point. Last week I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises and have watched it a few times since.



The dark knight rises loved most of the movie ! but was a bit overly long and some parts were a bit tedious.

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Criss Cross with Kirk Douglas. I have been getting into these film noir movies of the late 40's & 50's. It reminds me of being in a cinema on a rainy Sat afternoon of yore. Very entertaining. King Creole is sort of like these types of movies and that is why it is so great. It belongs to a certain time period and was done great with a great director.

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:38 pm

rocknroller wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Seen both Hansel and Gretel & the croods at the cinema in 3D and both excellent.also seen The Guilt Trip it was ok, funny in parts.


I've been trying to swerve The Croods, but will have to see it at some point. Last week I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises and have watched it a few times since.



The dark knight rises loved most of the movie ! but was a bit overly long and some parts were a bit tedious.


Yeah some parts were long, but the scenes with Bane were worth the wait.

I've since seen the Croods and to be honest, wasn't expecting anything from it, must've had something in my eye during certain parts.

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 pm

"Oblivion"... still dunno what to think about it... :?

Not a bad film at all but certainly no blockbuster movie.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:07 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:"Oblivion"... still dunno what to think about it... :?

Not a bad film at all but certainly no blockbuster movie.


On one hand, Oblivion has an awful lot going for it, but ultimately suffers from a lack of originality and a tendency to feel shop-worn. It is good sci-fi, and looks marvellous, with set-design and special effects of the highest caliber. It begins well and creates an air of intrigue and fascination as a smaller story on a large scale when we only have three characters on screen -- Tom Cruise and Andrea Riseborough as Earth's only inhabitants and Melissa Leo as their off-Earth contact who is overseeing their mission. Here, despite so much familiarity from the likes of Wall-E, Saturn 3, Moon, Total Recall and other previous sci-fi movies besides, with such outstanding production values, good performances and certain intrigue, it works - and works well - in creating a believable and fascinating world. When the dynamics change through the introduction of Olga Kurylenko's character and the threat of the Scavs, here is where it flounders, in my opinion. This is because the Scavs are poorly written and too obvious in what they are, and after establishing a sense of place and purpose, here's a facet of the story that's terribly underwritten and presented for the audience to take, largely, on face-value because this aspect of the film is so familiar. Especially when we go into Star Wars and Independence Day territory. Overall, I did like Oblivion, but I didn't love it -- I thought Tom Cruise was ideally cast, however, and was nothing less than impressed by Joseph Kosinski's vision on what's only his second film as a director. But with originality sorely amiss, the best of Oblivion is often overshadowed by familiarity.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 am

I just saw jurassic park in 3d at the regal cinema in Orlando as it was something to do to get out of the rain.it was very good in 3d
Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Going back to some of the films mentioned on previous posts, The Paperboy was one that I found quite fascinating in places, especially with some good performances throughout. It's not a particularly good film, nor is it memorable for any reason other than the trashy aspects that are played out unashamedly by a director who, quite literally, lost the plot here. And there lies the problem with this film, in my opinion, at least -- it's one thing to have a trashy script and performances to match that IF there's nothing of substance within the story, or if that's the objective in the first place. But here, the story became wholly inconsequential when the central narrative of the film was lost in favour of individual scenes becoming more important than the bigger picture. Had the characters, themselves, been better defined and better written, this could have leant more towards being a character study in spite of narrative, but the entire film is so murky that it's nigh-on impenetrable -- even Macy Gray's voice-over made little sense in places. Zac Effron has continued to impress me, however -- I wasn't entirely keen on Charlie McCloud, but thought he was good here and splendid in the likes of 17 Again and Me and Orson Welles. Kidman was also good here, and remains an actress of some substance and range -- a good contrast with her full-on performance in The Paperboy, is her performance in Park Chan-Wook's latest film, the compelling Stoker. Here, Kidman is aloof, cool and very nauanced in one of her better roles of late and a fine English language debut for the Korean director. Whilst, I'm not sure that I've ever seen John Cusack on better form than as the death-row inmate whose story should be the narrative core of The Paperboy. He does chew the scenery a bit, but he's certainly more animated and interesting than usual.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Good to see you back greystoke.. Your posts are always worthwhile.

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:39 pm

I saw Olympus Has Fallen at the cinema today -- which is very much of the Die Hard mould with Gerard Butler in the lead role and the events of the film centering around North Korean terrorists taking the White House under siege. Antoine Faqua directs and produced the film along with Butler, Avi Lerner and a host of others, and although Faqua can be an interesting director, this is strictly by-the-numbers stuff. We've seen enough Die Hard-inspired films (and Die Hard films) over the past 25 years to know that we've seen everything in this movie before. Still, this is more than a few points ahead of the latest Die Hard instalment, and despite being generic to a fault, poorly lit, badly edited and offering some really shoddy CGI, it's a fairly entertaining movie. And that, mostly, comes down to Butler being well cast and putting in the effort on screen with regards to his physicality, if not his acting. For which he's rarely handed the kind of one-liners and memorable moments required to make-up for the many plot deficiencies and daft mistakes, such as The White House being called The Whitehouse on some in-film news broadcasts or the North Korean border being called The North Korean boarder!!!! I wouldn't expect a second viewing to hold much, unlike the original Die Hard, which remains both a stellar and a pivotal action film. For fans of the genre, however, you'll be-able to pick apart Olympus Has Fallen on a scene-by-scene basis, but will probably enjoy some of the action if you're willing to go along for the ride.

Re: last movie you watched

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm

greystoke wrote:Going back to some of the films mentioned on previous posts, The Paperboy was one that I found quite fascinating in places, especially with some good performances throughout. It's not a particularly good film, nor is it memorable for any reason other than the trashy aspects that are played out unashamedly by a director who, quite literally, lost the plot here. And there lies the problem with this film, in my opinion, at least -- it's one thing to have a trashy script and performances to match that IF there's nothing of substance within the story, or if that's the objective in the first place. But here, the story became wholly inconsequential when the central narrative of the film was lost in favour of individual scenes becoming more important than the bigger picture. Had the characters, themselves, been better defined and better written, this could have leant more towards being a character study in spite of narrative, but the entire film is so murky that it's nigh-on impenetrable -- even Macy Gray's voice-over made little sense in places. Zac Effron has continued to impress me, however -- I wasn't entirely keen on Charlie McCloud, but thought he was good here and splendid in the likes of 17 Again and Me and Orson Welles. Kidman was also good here, and remains an actress of some substance and range -- a good contrast with her full-on performance in The Paperboy, is her performance in Park Chan-Wook's latest film, the compelling Stoker. Here, Kidman is aloof, cool and very nauanced in one of her better roles of late and a fine English language debut for the Korean director. Whilst, I'm not sure that I've ever seen John Cusack on better form than as the death-row inmate whose story should be the narrative core of The Paperboy. He does chew the scenery a bit, but he's certainly more animated and interesting than usual.


It's nice to see Efron getting some credit. I find him a very likeable actor for the most part, and have to say I enjoyed Charlie McCloud as well, slightly slushy though it was. I only saw Me and Orson Welles relatively recently (the wonders of Poundland!) and thought he was very good in that, and thought the film as a whole was a fine work in general.

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 pm

I saw Iron Man 3 at the cinema yesterday -- the first instalment of Marvel 's phase II. For Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.), the story continues in the emotional aftermath of The Avengers, with bouts of insomnia and panic attacks threatening his sanity and his relationship with Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts. To cause further issues, a new threat to world security comes in the shape of The Mandarin -- played superbly by Sir Ben Kingsley, in what's sure to remain one of the most memorable performances in the Marvel Universe. Further problems arise when Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian and a new breed of super-soldier appear with only malevolence in mind.

This is a fine entry in the series and perhaps the most entertaining Iron Man film to date. It's not quite up to the best Marvel adaptations thus far, nor does it seek the resonance and emotional depths of the Dark Knight trilogy. But with a decent amount of plot, great action and stellar special effects, the shortcomings here pass by with relative ease because it's a fun ride buoyed tremendously by Robert Downey, Jr.'s performance in the lead, and great turns by Pierce and Kingsley. Problematic is the super-soldiers, who are ill-defined and almost generic, given that we've seen variations on this before. Whilst, a few plot-threads are merely hinted at without a better understanding afforded -- but we can easily fill in the blanks. The 3D adds nothing here, so I would recommend seeing the standard release in what's sure to please most Marvel and comic book fans.