Post here your Elvis' pictures

Cool Boston

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Saw this on Ebay...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cool Boston

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Photos from this show are cool, but Jerry's Fender bass practically blocks any view of Elvis. I hope the price is cheap.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:00 am

Three dollars I believe

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:05 am

Why was the bass always referred to as the "Fender bass"?
EP always said that during the introductions.
He never said that James played the Fender guitar, or that John played the Gibson guitar.
But somehow it was called for to name the brand as well when it came to the bass. Strange.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:54 am

Great shot!
Too bad Elvis' face is blocked indeed.
Why Elvis named Fender by name?
No clue but the bass is a cool instrument, Jerry was a cool guy and 'Fender' just sounds great in combination.
Sometimes we just shouldn't dig too deep...

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 am

Without "sample"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:40 am

FVH wrote:Why was the bass always referred to as the "Fender bass"?
He never said that James played the Fender guitar, or that John played the Gibson guitar.
But somehow it was called for to name the brand as well when it came to the bass. Strange.

During the presentation he said: .. "on the Fender bass, Jerry Sheef" ...each time !

FVH, re-listen to a concert at random :wink:

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:04 pm

hilton22000 wrote:Without "sample"

Thanks for sharing this one Cristi :D

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Fender introduced the Precision bass in 51 and by the time Elvis started recording it was becoming more popular for musicians. They called it a precision bass because it was fretted. Most people of that era just got used to referring to it as a "Fender bass" because they had not yet introduced an alternate model like the J bass (jass bass) for people to bother with a specific distinction. Most of the other manufactures soon followed suit and offered electric fretted basses. Elvis evidently just got grandfathered in.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:21 am

I remember as a little bitty kid thinking that Elvis was saying, "my friend on bass" when introducing Jerry.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 am

JamesVRoy wrote:

Fender introduced the Precision bass in 51 and by the time Elvis started recording it was becoming more popular for musicians. They called it a precision bass because it was fretted. Most people of that era just got used to referring to it as a "Fender bass" because they had not yet introduced an alternate model like the J bass (jass bass) for people to bother with a specific distinction. Elvis evidently just got grandfathered in.

Thanks James. I always thought that maybe that was the
only bass that Jerry would play so they were synonymous
with each other. At least in Elvis' eyes.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Boston Garden's lighting system in 1971 was not the best, so just seeing a bright and clear photo of El from this gig is very cool indeed. Most photos I've seen from this gig are dark and details of Elvis' face are blurred. The fact he wore a dark jumpsuit doesn't help much either.