Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: My new website

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:53 am

bripet56 wrote:I just made another update. This time from April 1973.


Thanks Brian, I'm loving the layout of that page. Looks great!

Re: My new website

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 am

bripet56 wrote:I just made another update. This time from April 1973.


This is your best update yet!

I never realized how YELLOW the Presley tour plane was! Note that Elvis was #1 on Billboard's album charts at the time of this tour, with the soundtrack to his "Aloha" TV special. Your pages also made me realize we have an incorrect date reference in our Elvis history for 1973.

Read on:

On your April 29, 1973 pages we see Ed Parker with Elvis as the singer meets fans by his plane. But how can this be?

It is allegedly only a few weeks after Elvis' name was mistakenly put on the San Francisco Civic Auditorium marquee for Parker's California Karate Championship tournament, the date of which has always been noted as Sunday, April 8. The story goes that Elvis had flown up from L.A. to attend, and promptly left the city and flew back, with orders from Presley management to take down the name, since his upcoming Lake Tahoe engagement forbid any other personal appearances in the area. And Ed is known as the one who took the blame for this, and was kicked out of the entourage for a time.

So Ed should not be with Elvis on April 29, twenty-one days after this huge mess. Right?

It turns out that this ill-fated karate tournament was actually held on the weekend of May 5-6, 1973!

It was called the "3rd Annual Northern California Karate Championships":


Black Belt Jun 1973 p5.JPG
Black Belt, June 1973
Note: the "1973 Calendar" appears in the March and April issues with the exact same dates for the SF tournament.


And this means that Elvis must have flown to SF during his Sahara Tahoe stand, discovered the marquee issue, and flew right back to Tahoe.

Elvis did an opening show on May 4 (Fri), and two shows on May 5 (Sat), so he must have flown down on May 6 (Sun) to see some of the tournament and then fly back before his performance that night.

No wonder management blew up -- Elvis had already begun shows. And maybe this perceived betrayal might have been a factor in Elvis getting "ill" and cancelling the last four days (eight shows) of the Tahoe engagement.

The (temporary) banishing of Ed Parker happened on Sunday, May 6, 1973.

There's always something new to learn!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My new website

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:28 am

Great updates Brian, thanks

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Re: My new website

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks guys, glad you like my updates.

Cool observation Doc. Ed Parker is also seen in a photo from Phoenix on April 22, 1973 so he was obviously along for the entire April tour and according to Day-by-Day he was also one of the bodyguards who accompanied Elvis to Lake Tahoe.
We have few photos from the Tahoe engagement but Parker is not seen in photos untill July 1974. At least I couldn´t find him in any so he was probably out in the cold for at least a year.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: My new website

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Hey Brian, can't seem to get the articles for some reason.


They are on the March 18, 1961 page:
http://brian56.dk/60s/1961/6103/610318.html


Thanks Doc!!

Re: My new website

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 am

bripet56 wrote:Cool observation Doc. Ed Parker is also seen in a photo from Phoenix on April 22, 1973 so he was obviously along for the entire April tour and according to Day-by-Day he was also one of the bodyguards who accompanied Elvis to Lake Tahoe.
We have few photos from the Tahoe engagement but Parker is not seen in photos untill July 1974. At least I couldn´t find him in any so he was probably out in the cold for at least a year.


And this means that all of those photos with Ed Parker, John Conway and knife maker Gil Hibben must definitely date to April 1973, probably in Las Vegas, possibly on April 2, when Elvis got promoted to a 6th degree black belt by Ed:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/karate71.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27139

He moved up to 7th degree after the May debacle in San Francisco, a courtesy gesture by Kang Rhee.

Re: My new website

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 am

Nice work Brian!

Re: My new website

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Cool observation Doc. Ed Parker is also seen in a photo from Phoenix on April 22, 1973 so he was obviously along for the entire April tour and according to Day-by-Day he was also one of the bodyguards who accompanied Elvis to Lake Tahoe.
We have few photos from the Tahoe engagement but Parker is not seen in photos untill July 1974. At least I couldn´t find him in any so he was probably out in the cold for at least a year.


And this means that all of those photos with Ed Parker, John Conway and knife maker Gil Hibben must definitely date to April 1973, probably in Las Vegas, possibly on April 2, when Elvis got promoted to a 6th degree black belt by Ed:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/karate71.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27139

He moved up to 7th degree after the May debacle in San Francisco, a courtesy gesture by Kang Rhee.


Yep, that´s right. Those photos are most likely from April 2, 1973. Just as I pointed out back in 2007 :D

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Re: My new website

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 am

bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Cool observation Doc. Ed Parker is also seen in a photo from Phoenix on April 22, 1973 so he was obviously along for the entire April tour and according to Day-by-Day he was also one of the bodyguards who accompanied Elvis to Lake Tahoe.
We have few photos from the Tahoe engagement but Parker is not seen in photos untill July 1974. At least I couldn´t find him in any so he was probably out in the cold for at least a year.


And this means that all of those photos with Ed Parker, John Conway and knife maker Gil Hibben must definitely date to April 1973, probably in Las Vegas, possibly on April 2, when Elvis got promoted to a 6th degree black belt by Ed:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/karate71.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27139

He moved up to 7th degree after the May debacle in San Francisco, a courtesy gesture by Kang Rhee.


Yep, that´s right. Those photos are most likely from April 2, 1973. Just as I pointed out back in 2007 :D



You also pointed out that Kang Rhee awarded Elvis a seventh degree black belt in his Pasaryo school of karate on April 9. ;-)

Re: My new website

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Cool observation Doc. Ed Parker is also seen in a photo from Phoenix on April 22, 1973 so he was obviously along for the entire April tour and according to Day-by-Day he was also one of the bodyguards who accompanied Elvis to Lake Tahoe.
We have few photos from the Tahoe engagement but Parker is not seen in photos untill July 1974. At least I couldn´t find him in any so he was probably out in the cold for at least a year.


And this means that all of those photos with Ed Parker, John Conway and knife maker Gil Hibben must definitely date to April 1973, probably in Las Vegas, possibly on April 2, when Elvis got promoted to a 6th degree black belt by Ed:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/karate71.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27139

He moved up to 7th degree after the May debacle in San Francisco, a courtesy gesture by Kang Rhee.


Yep, that´s right. Those photos are most likely from April 2, 1973. Just as I pointed out back in 2007 :D



You also pointed out that Kang Rhee awarded Elvis a seventh degree black belt in his Pasaryo school of karate on April 9. ;-)


Yes, accoring to Day-by-Day he did. I don´t know where they got their info from but I guess they had some kind of proof to back up their info.
I think I have seen copies of Elvis´ karate promotions but I can´t seem to find them right now.

Unfortunately we don´t have any photos of Elvis in his karate gi between early April and the June tour so we can see which rank he held then.
Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: My new website

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:37 am

Latest update is an oldie but, hopefully, a goodie from 1957.

Enjoy.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: My new website

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Another update, this time from January 1971.

Enjoy

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk
(latest update: April 7, 2013)

Re: My new website

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:41 pm

Now this is what i called a page made by a real expert, excelent articles, order of the photos is very helpful to understand the event hour by hour, minute by minute.
Thank you very much for your effort :smt006

PS: I'd love to see these clippings, do you have it?

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 am

It is a great update

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:52 am

bripet56 wrote:Latest update is an oldie but, hopefully, a goodie from 1957.

Enjoy.

bripet56 wrote:Another update, this time from January 1971.

Enjoy


On the 8-27-1957 page, it's interesting to see all the familiar faces (mom and dad, Billy Smith, Cliff Gleaves, Louis Harris, Lamar Fike). A pretty special day for Anita Wood, too.

On the 1-16-1971 page, it struck me as never before that this was probably the single most satisfying day in his life and career. At long last, he is given the respect and honor he deserves for his amazing accomplishments. It is no surprise Elvis never traveled without his Jaycees Award. It meant the world to him.

Thank you for the great updates.

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 am

Love your site ! It's going to be the bomb once you get it all filled in! :smt023

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:And this means that all of those photos with Ed Parker, John Conway and knife maker Gil Hibben must definitely date to April 1973, probably in Las Vegas, possibly on April 2, when Elvis got promoted to a 6th degree black belt by Ed:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/karate71.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27139

He moved up to 7th degree after the May debacle in San Francisco, a courtesy gesture by Kang Rhee.



I'm so glad you pointed this out, Doc, because there are so many fans who truly think that Elvis was an honest-to-goodness 8th-degree black belt - when he was only given it as a courtesy gesture.

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks all. I´m glad you like the update(s).

I just made a few additions to the January 16, 1971 page.
Included a transcript of Elvis´ speech and two photos at the very bottom showing Elvis and Priscilla arriving at the Four Flames Restaurant and at the Honorees´ Reception and Ball.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: My new website

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:17 pm

I don't have any of those magazines so this posting here is the first I beleive ever seeing it. Cool shot. Thanks.

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:03 am

Looks like April 1957 got an update too!

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Looks like April 1957 got an update too!


That´s right Doc. I included a new photo from April 15, 1957. Thanks for making me aware of it.

I also just made a new page for March 25, 1957. Hope you all like it.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk
(latest update: April 21, 2013)

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:28 am

bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Looks like April 1957 got an update too!


That´s right Doc. I included a new photo from April 15, 1957. Thanks for making me aware of it.

I also just made a new page for March 25, 1957. Hope you all like it.


The new page is yet another treat! Thank you for creating it. I didn't know the shots were from March 25, I though it was after he returned from his tour. The future seemed so bright.

One question: is the caption for Elvis standing on the front porch supposed to reference his bedroom?

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Looks like April 1957 got an update too!


That´s right Doc. I included a new photo from April 15, 1957. Thanks for making me aware of it.

I also just made a new page for March 25, 1957. Hope you all like it.


The new page is yet another treat! Thank you for creating it. I didn't know the shots were from March 25, I though it was after he returned from his tour. The future seemed so bright.

One question: is the caption for Elvis standing on the front porch supposed to reference his bedroom?


Thanks Doc. I know I can always rely on your ever watchfull eyes.
I got the first and second photo wrong. I´ll correct them as soon as I get home in about 5 hours.

Glad to know that my pages are helping putting a date on some photos from time to time.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Re: the karate discussion.

He moved up to 7th degree after the May debacle in San Francisco, a courtesy gesture by Kang Rhee.


You also pointed out that Kang Rhee awarded Elvis a seventh degree black belt in his Pasaryo school of karate on April 9.


Here's a scan from Kang Rhee's own facebook page, showing the April 9th date for the awarding of the 7th Degree Black Belt is correct, as confirmed by Brian - this must be the initial certificate / badge he got ahead of the more formal framed presentation, perhaps received immediately following any testing. Either way, it seems to confirm the April date.

I also posted it in the discussion about July 73.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My new website

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:47 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Re: the karate discussion.

He moved up to 7th degree after the May debacle in San Francisco, a courtesy gesture by Kang Rhee.


You also pointed out that Kang Rhee awarded Elvis a seventh degree black belt in his Pasaryo school of karate on April 9.


Here's a scan from Kang Rhee's own facebook page, showing the April 9th date for the awarding of the 7th Degree Black Belt is correct, as confirmed by Brian - this must be the initial certificate / badge he got ahead of the more formal framed presentation, perhaps received immediately following any testing. Either way, it seems to confirm the April date.

I also posted it in the discussion about July 73.


Thanks DarrylMac for confirming the April 9, 1973 date.
I also think this is the original certificate showing the correct date.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk