Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Recollections of my first Elvis record.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I was listening yesterday to some of my Elvis records and suddenly I recalled which was really the first Elvis record I bought back in 1977 when I was teenager, it was Elvis Forever-32 Hits. This 2 lp set sold like candies all over Europe and Spain was not different :wink:.

I worn out this set and took it over to many parties. Many years latter I was able to find another copy and now I treasured it like gold. I don´t listen to it anymore as you will notice all the songs are electronic stereo like all those records that came out in the 70´s and I hate this sound :x.

I liked Elvis since I was a kid watching all those movies but he really hit me when I watched all those news of his death and I will never forget that image of Elvis during the news singing the song King Creole on the movie. It was then when I bought this my first Elvis record and soon many came after and more than 30 years later I keep buying those records :smt005.

Elvis really has never had a big spot in the Spanish music field and if I am not wrong he had only 8 number 1 hits here in Spain, but there is not much official info to support this. The first real official hits list started in 1965 and those nº 1 hits were: It´s Now or Never (8 weeks), Are You Lonesome Tonight? (2 weeks), Marie´s The Name (1 week), Good Luck Charm (2 weeks), No More (3 weeks), Return To Sender (1 week), In the Ghetto (3 weeks) and A Little Less Conversation "remixed version" (16 weeks).

For all music lovers talking about nº 1 hits if you want to know what song was nº1 the day that you were born please try this website: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/birthdayno1. In my case it was: Good Luck Charm, not bad! :smt020. What are you recollections about the first record you bought?. Your memories will be much appreciated ::rocks. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Recollections of my first Elvis record.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:13 pm

The first pressing of this album had the subtitle "and the story of a king" because it featured a nice LP-size booklet with, if I remember correct, 32 pages.
I thought the mono songs were mono and the stereo songs in stereo?
I know there is a faulty mastering pressing of volume 2 where several stereo songs have one channel omitted and the other channel is used for both channels. This is especially clear on the song "What'd I say" where there are no Jordanaires audible.
These albums can be found at flea-markets quite often because the general audience bought these.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:07 pm

zolderopruiming1, I thought "What'd I Say" was in mono on Forever 2? Gotta give it a spin someday soon.
But I admit this was the version I always listened to for in the eighties it sounded kinda "powerful" to me (unlike for example the version on "Rare Elvis, Vol. 3").

I actutally liked all of the five volumes, it was a nice compendium of Elvis' musical work.

Mike, funny as the first "Forever" Volume was my second Elvis album I ever owned (well, actually the second and the third) and I loved it. Never had the 32-page book, though.
That was missing when I bought the album pretty cheap at the flea market in April 1986.
Some of the tracks sound horrible but back in the days these were the only versions I knew. Love to give them a spin from time to time to take me back to the days long ago.
And I have to shake my head every time... and smile.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:zolderopruiming1, I thought "What'd I Say" was in mono on Forever 2? Gotta give it a spin someday soon.
But I admit this was the version I always listened to for in the eighties it sounded kinda "powerful" to me (unlike for example the version on "Rare Elvis, Vol. 3").

It was one-channel duplicated to both channels on the first (withdrawn) pressing, stereo on the 2nd and later pressings.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 pm

I was born and raised in Barcelona (Spain) and every summer I'd go to Murcia beautiful coast. But in 1990 (I was 14 years old), we didn't go anywhere. So comes August 29th (my sister's 18th birthday) so I went with very little cash to buy her some records. I bought her dirty dancing volume 2 and 4 cheap elvis non RCA albums. We had been exposed to Elvis through my dad and then in 88-89 thanks to the huge success of the all time greatest hits and the Spanish tv long run of elvis pictures. So I thought I'd get my first record ever and what a best bet than elvis. The record store on pelayo street had about 200 elvis records. So I spent 500 pesetas (3 euros) on a double record set that appealed to me for the word "live" and the pic on the back cover. Other than I just can't help believing, the wonder of you, it's impossible and American trilogy, I hadn't heard elvis live, even less what appeared like a complete show.

It turned out to be an original orange label rigid vinyl USA pressing of from Memphis to Vegas, with a couple of pictures inside (poor me, I gave them to my sister!!).

What a wonderful record to start my elvis collection. My dad and I flipped over the back in Memphis record. I can still see him foot tapping while hearing stranger in my home town. God rest his soul.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:48 pm

If my memory is correct (and it usually is!), the German pressing have all LP covers from 1956 to the current one displayed. I never had this album, but because in Europe LPs were not sealed, I could see inside and see those LP covers.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:58 am

frus75 wrote:I was born and raised in Barcelona (Spain) and every summer I'd go to Murcia beautiful coast. But in 1990 (I was 14 years old), we didn't go anywhere. So comes August 29th (my sister's 18th birthday) so I went with very little cash to buy her some records. I bought her dirty dancing volume 2 and 4 cheap elvis non RCA albums. We had been exposed to Elvis through my dad and then in 88-89 thanks to the huge success of the all time greatest hits and the Spanish tv long run of elvis pictures. So I thought I'd get my first record ever and what a best bet than elvis. The record store on pelayo street had about 200 elvis records. So I spent 500 pesetas (3 euros) on a double record set that appealed to me for the word "live" and the pic on the back cover. Other than I just can't help believing, the wonder of you, it's impossible and American trilogy, I hadn't heard elvis live, even less what appeared like a complete show.

It turned out to be an original orange label rigid vinyl USA pressing of from Memphis to Vegas, with a couple of pictures inside (poor me, I gave them to my sister!!).

What a wonderful record to start my elvis collection. My dad and I flipped over the back in Memphis record. I can still see him foot tapping while hearing stranger in my home town. God rest his soul.

Thank you frus75 for sharing your beautiful memories ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:49 pm

PetriTCB wrote:If my memory is correct (and it usually is!), the German pressing have all LP covers from 1956 to the current one displayed. I never had this album, but because in Europe LPs were not sealed, I could see inside and see those LP covers.

Your memory IS correct! :)

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:07 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:zolderopruiming1, I thought "What'd I Say" was in mono on Forever 2? Gotta give it a spin someday soon.

I actutally liked all of the five volumes, it was a nice compendium of Elvis' musical work.

Mike, funny as the first "Forever" Volume was my second Elvis album I ever owned (well, actually the second and the third) and I loved it. Never had the 32-page book, though.
That was missing when I bought the album pretty cheap at the flea market in April 1986.
Some of the tracks sound horrible but back in the days these were the only versions I knew. Love to give them a spin from time to time to take me back to the days long ago.

luckyjackson1 thanks for sharing. The Spanish release of this 2 lp set didn't come with a 32 page booklet either :cry:. I think it was exclusively for the German market. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

luckyjackson1 thanks for sharing. The Spanish release of this 2 lp set didn't come with a 32 page booklet either :cry:. I think it was exclusively for the German market. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike, what's even worse about it: I have the german pressing - but without the booklet. Took me years to finally find out the meaning of the "And The Story Of A King" on the cover of the LP... :roll: :facep:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:01 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:

Mike, what's even worse about it: I have the german pressing - but without the booklet. Took me years to finally find out the meaning of the "And The Story Of A King" on the cover of the LP... :roll: :facep:

You now what luckyjackson1?, maybe we are confused :?. I have a German pressing of Elvis-Forever 32 Hits as well and it didn´t come with the booklet :shock:. It could be that zolderopruiming1 is referring to the original German LP that came with a sort of a booklet "4 pages & poster" called Elvis-A Portrait in Music 8). Bye for now :smt006.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=210961

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:57 am

No Mike, I have a german pressing of "A Portrait In Music" as well.

Here's a german site where you should find pictures of the booklet (I just googled them).
Type in "elvis forever booklet german" and you'll find it.
Never seen it before to this day.

Darn, that moderator has the same avatar as mine!! :o

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:No Mike, I have a german pressing of "A Portrait In Music" as well.

Here's a german site where you should find pictures of the booklet (I just googled them).
Type in "elvis forever booklet german" and you'll find it.
Never seen it before to this day.

Darn, that moderator has the same avatar as mine!! :o

My mistake, I thought I had a 1st pressing and it is not :oops:. My copy doesn´t have the banner: "And The Story Of a King". Here below is the link, scroll down and there it is: cover, records and booklet. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www.elvisonrecords.com/rca_more_ ... eries.html

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:12 pm

I have this one with 8 page "story of a king" German pressing.

Sorry for the unsharp pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I was listening yesterday to some of my Elvis records and suddenly I recalled which was really the first Elvis record I bought back in 1977 when I was teenager, it was Elvis Forever-32 Hits. This 2 lp set sold like candies all over Europe and Spain was not different :wink:.

I worn out this set and took it over to many parties. Many years latter I was able to find another copy and now I treasured it like gold. I don´t listen to it anymore as you will notice all the songs are electronic stereo like all those records that came out in the 70´s and I hate this sound :x.

I liked Elvis since I was a kid watching all those movies but he really hit me when I watched all those news of his death and I will never forget that image of Elvis during the news singing the song King Creole on the movie. It was then when I bought this my first Elvis record and soon many came after and more than 30 years later I keep buying those records :smt005.

Elvis really has never had a big spot in the Spanish music field and if I am not wrong he had only 8 number 1 hits here in Spain, but there is not much official info to support this. The first real official hits list started in 1965 and those nº 1 hits were: It´s Now or Never (8 weeks), Are You Lonesome Tonight? (2 weeks), Marie´s The Name (1 week), Good Luck Charm (2 weeks), No More (3 weeks), Return To Sender (1 week), In the Ghetto (3 weeks) and A Little Less Conversation "remixed version" (16 weeks).

For all music lovers talking about nº 1 hits if you want to know what song was nº1 the day that you were born please try this website: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/birthdayno1. In my case it was: Good Luck Charm, not bad! :smt020. What are you recollections about the first record you bought?. Your memories will be much appreciated ::rocks. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Funny, this album was in the 70's in Holland almost the only regular Elvis album you could find at recordsstores.
Still have it somewehere in the attic with all of the other Elvis stuff from wayback.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks to all who have participated sharing their memories but what about the others? :shock:. Folks!, you memories are faded away?. C´mon share it over here :wink:. Thanks. Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:37 pm

First Elvis release our family got was this cassette during xmas 77.I remember our tape player had problem playing it so I got the LP few years later.
Thanks to the album covers inside I bought only the real albums of the 70s after that.
I still have the original vinyl but its in poor overall condition (VG/VG+)
Saw an earlier post that had a picture of RCA INTERNATIONAL version of the album......always hated these cheap versions of Elvis albums,still do.
I think this was only a european issue........often with "Nice Prize" sticker on cover :evil:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:19 pm

As far as i know it is the first pressing, have also a later pressing of it wich has international On the cover and a orange (victor)label.

Got this one as a present from friends of my parents who never played it, was also one of my first albums, and still in mint condition.

I also used the catalog inside to find the albums On record fairs at the time

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Got Elvis Forever as a birthday gift back in 1974.
The album was a huge seller in Sweden, probably Elvis best selling album in Sweden to this very day.
It was not my first Elvis album, I had at least 10 albums by the time of my ninth birthday.

Love the intro of the album, Elvis fantastic version of My Baby Left Me!

Lennart

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Lennart wrote:Got Elvis Forever as a birthday gift back in 1974.
The album was a huge seller in Sweden, probably Elvis best selling album in Sweden to this very day.
It was not my first Elvis album, I had at least 10 albums by the time of my ninth birthday.

Love the intro of the album, Elvis fantastic version of My Baby Left Me!

Lennart

And with the electronically reprocessed stereo it sounded wild! A friend of mine once told me it really scared him as a kid.

And I admit when I first heard the remastered mono version I was disappointed because it sounded so... "tame and powerless". :roll:

But hey, that was back in the eighties!

Oh, and if I'll ever get a tattoo in my life, it will be the lettering of the name "Elvis" from the "Forever"-Cover. That's another dream I have (same colours). :wink:

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 am

Elvis Forever the Double LPs ...yeah good memories,i bought it with my Dad , it was one of the first 10-15 LPs that i owned ...i must admit i never liked the picture cover, they could make a better one....but i do have also all the 5 Volumes, its a great collection of LPs , with lots of good stuff
My very 1st LP that i bought was: "HARUM SCARUM " , till this day i love it and it brings me back to that day.....in 1987....Good loving memories
:smt006

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 am

The LP "A portrait in music" originally came out with a poster stapled as part of the booklet type sleeve.
Later pressings omitted the poster and then later pressings it became a single sleeve instead of a fold-out one.
And there are different single sleeves mainly being the advertisement for other LP's on the back differ from sleeve to sleeve.