Post here your Elvis' pictures

Do you buy photos on EBay, and why?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:04 am

Originals, I mean.

As I understand it, the copyright does not transfer just because you own the picture; that belongs to whomever took it. (There might be exceptions.)

So, if "yes," why do you do it? I'm curious, in case a special one turned up or something, and I wanted to digitize it myself, from the original photograph.

Like this, perhaps:

image.jpg

It's on EBAY right now.

rjm (if a query about pictures does not belong in the picture section, feel free to move it :smt006 )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Do you buy photos on EBay, and why?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 pm

I bought the transparencies to the top pics from TTWII from ebay.com. The auction finished in the middle of the night UK time, I set the alarm to get up and bid 'live' for them. Paid about $250 for each transparency.
They've blown up to make fab pics 8) 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:24 am

rjm wrote:So, if "yes," why do you do it?

I've wondered that myself. Not judging anyone, cuz to each their own, but I've long been curious as to why people do that in this day and age.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 am

No I don't normally buy them unless there is a special reason, like a concert I attended, or an autograph.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:53 pm

I've bought them to use on Scotty's site if they're reasonable and somewhat unique. In several instances they were originals and only (known) copies.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:27 pm

I´ve bought many photos on EBay during the years.
A number of these have been original never before seen photos while others have been in superior quality as to what have been available on internet or elsewhere.
A number of these will end up on my website as I create page after page.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 am

debtd1 wrote:I bought the transparencies to the top pics from TTWII from ebay.com. The auction finished in the middle of the night UK time, I set the alarm to get up and bid 'live' for them. Paid about $250 for each transparency.
They've blown up to make fab pics 8) 8)

You mean negatives, I take it? Or slides?

In any event, I can see doing that if it were a very special photo, a great pose, and very rare. Although $250 is a bit rich for my blood for a photograph. That's that thing: if it's legit, it's going to cost an arm and a leg. So, first you have to have the disposable income, and then you have to have a special purpose for it, and then you have to determine if it really IS legitimate.

For instance, the photo I posted does not look like the photo paper used at the time of the photograph. Perhaps. So, then it becomes a very arduous process. To me, the photos on the 'net are incredible. I wish I had taken photos of him in life, myself, but that didn't happen. I wouldn't be selling them, of course.

But I can see wanting the negative for a large poster. IF the money is available for that. (There are some lovely calendars out there, and if I want a poster, I tend to use those - make them bigger with the scanner, and it usually works out well, if they use high-quality paper.)

Thanks, all!!!

rjm

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:50 pm

If they are rare candids of Elvis off stage, yes.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Ebay is just an online second hand store for the most part. I welcome any and all photos on Ebay. There are some great quality and some crap. It is for the buyer to know the difference. But I like it. :mrgreen:

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 am

Normally, I buy photos from concerts where photos are not available or there are not too many.