Off Topic Messages

Waco explosion.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 am

How can this happen in 2013.

Thank God this happened at night so the nearby school was closed.


My sympathy to the USA

Re: Waco explosion.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Watch entire video of explosion >> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/1 ... 05341.html

Unbelievable!!!!

Re: Waco explosion.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:53 pm

It's frickin awful. What's going on in this world! My condolences to the families in Boston and now Waco for your loss.

Re: Waco explosion.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Joe Car wrote:It's frickin awful. What's going on in this world! My condolences to the families in Boston and now Waco for your loss.


There's nothing so far to say that this is anything but an horrific accident. However, timing and location might suggest otherwise.

Re: Waco explosion.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Joe Car wrote:It's frickin awful

Yep, just like Alan's shallow attempt to make a point with this thread.

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 am

KiwiAlan wrote:How can this happen in 2013.

Thank God this happened at night so the nearby school was closed.


My sympathy to the USA


You rock! :D

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:25 am

KHoots wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:How can this happen in 2013.

Thank God this happened at night so the nearby school was closed.


My sympathy to the USA


You rock! :D

Don't be deceived. Alan is merely responding to heavy rebuttal he has received in the Boston Marathon bomb thread. Rather than be a gentleman about it and leave it alone he has started this thread as a thin veil in reponse to accusations he is anti-America, and criticism for his lack of empathy for the tradegy that occured in Boston. No doubt it will continue.

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:35 am

A sad day for all.... :cry:

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:48 am

[quote] Don't be such a jerk!/quote]

My point is that after the Oklahoma bombing all fertiliser plant would have put in measures to ensure that this couldn't happen
in 2013.

I notice Mathew, you have not offered any condolences to the people of Texas - don't you care?

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:55 am

The timing and location certainly raised eyebrows, but it was not terrorism of any kind. But there are other issues that are pretty disturbing in their own right, and perhaps far more common and potentially dangerous than terrorism.

While a disaster of similar magnitude has never before occurred at the West Fertilizer Co., the plant has long had a checkered history when it comes to workplace safety and regulatory compliance.
In August 2006, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fined the company $2,300 for failing to comply with federal safety regulations. The EPA had found that the plant did not have an adequate risk management plan to guard against chemical accidents, according to documents obtained by local television station WFAA-TV.

Around the same time, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality investigated West Fertilizer Co. over complaints of a “strong ammonia smell” of a nearby residential area. In response to questioning from federal and local authorities, the company said there was no risk of a fire or explosion at the plant. Though the EPA fined the plant, it was allowed to continue its operations.
Even before the explosion, West Fertilizer Co. put the lie to its claims about the low risk of a fire as early as two months ago. In mid-February of this year, a nearby middle school was forced to evacuate [PDF] due to a “concerning fire” at the plant.

While the company ran afoul of some governmental departments, other agencies failed to inspect it at all. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration does not appear to have investigated the plant at any point in the past five years.
Enforcement of workplace safety and workplace environmental standards is generally fairly weak in the United States. OSHA in particular lacks the resources to aggressively police workplaces; in fact, “OSHA can inspect a workplace on average once every 129 years and state OSHA inspectors could inspect one every 67 years,” according to a 2011 report by In These Times’ Mike Elk.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/04/18/exploded ... ry-issues/


It's very sad for all who were harmed in this event. Maybe we'll learn from it, but that's doubtful.

rjm

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:38 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
I notice Mathew, you have not offered any condolences to the people of Texas - don't you care?



Dude you really go out of your way don't you?


---------------------------------------------------

One odd thing I've noticed, where are our conspiracy theorists?
Two events this close together, the dates and locations. I see
the difference this time - do you?

Hopefully we will find out the truth wherever it lies.

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:52 am

iplayastrat wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:
I notice Mathew, you have not offered any condolences to the people of Texas - don't you care?



Dude you really go out of your way don't you?

It is his way! The sarcasm of the opening post says it all.

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Matthew wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:
I notice Mathew, you have not offered any condolences to the people of Texas - don't you care?



Dude you really go out of your way don't you?

It is his way! The sarcasm of the opening post says it all.


Oh.....I wondered if it was sarcasm, but given the gravity of the situation, figured it had to sincere...cuz no one could be that crass. :?

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:44 pm

KHoots wrote:Oh.....I wondered if it was sarcasm, but given the gravity of the situation, figured it had to sincere...cuz no one could be that crass. :?

You'd think, but alas.

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Mathew you double jerk.

It is not sarcasm t to be happy that numerous children were not killed or injured.


It seems you get your kicks from attacking me---take care NZ might send you back to the Homeland.

Re: Waco explosion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:01 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:My point is that after the Oklahoma bombing all fertiliser plant would have put in measures to ensure that this couldn't happen in 2013.


Actually the events in Oklahoma and then this tragedy in West, Texas aren't really the same. Oklahoma wasn't an accidental explosion, it was an act of terrorism. The plant in Texas was on fire and the explosion was a result of that. When last I read several of the first responders are beleived to have been among the victims. There was talk however of safety inspections at several facilities in the last few years that heve been lax. I don't know that this is the case here but incidents in Oklahoma have no bearing.

In regards to the disaster in Texas, for those local anyway, How to Help

Perhaps everyone here should be a little less confrontational in their posts and preferably a little more informational and proactive. I'm constantly amazed how groups on forums like this come together with a common interest and then find no end to the ways to differentiate themselves. That by no means is limited to Elvis forums.