Off Topic Messages

RIP.....my local video store at the age of 30

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:00 pm

:cry: Yesterday was the last day that was my local video store was open. They closed for good because of the state of the video rental business (all Netflix + Redbox...ordering DVD rentals on a computer = very impersonal). Frank, owner of Corner Video, ran the business himself and employed relatives as clerks for the entire 30 years. I was there at the grand opening in 1983 and remained a loyal customer the entire time. The owner was a nice family man and was a movie fan himself so he had a great selection of cult titles and drive-in type movies (first on VHS then DVD and Blu-ray). He began a special used DVD + Blu-ray sale section in his store a few years ago. He would beat Amazons price on used by at least a dollar or more. He had 10,000 movies in his rental library. Among the great horror titles i picked up from him were Lucio Fulci movies for $3 (incl. the 2 disc CAT IN THE BRAIN) and several blu rays like DAY AFTER TOMORROW and Fulci's ZOMBIE for $4 each. Elvis DVDs were retired from the video rental library, buffed on a polishing machine and sold (with original covers) for $2 each. I bought my ALOHA FROM HAWAII box set for $5.99 the year after it was released. Corner Video was a constant source of great movies at super cheap prices. When i returned rentals and business was slow that day, I would often discuss old sci-fi and horror movies with both Frank and his brother. We had at least 500 conversations over the years about every genre and type of movie you could imagine. Frank loved those Japanese monster movies and his brother loved the Universal monster classics. The owner will be retiring next year and works as a CPA out of his home office. His kids are grown, he has grand kids and he told me yesterday that he doesn't have any regrets that he stuck with the business for half his life and he hardly ever lost money while running the business, never had a bad employee, and had only a dozen or so customers that he booted out of his store over the years (for stealing video rentals). After retirement he is Florida bound. His former customers are planning a huge send off right before he leaves for the Sunshine state. Tho, i'm no big fan of either Netflix or Redbox, i guess, like many other movie fans, i'll be forced to give in and use these two services if i ever want to rent another DVD or Blu ray in the future.
Goodbye small business....... :smt006
...and hello corporate America! :(
Last edited by elvisbot on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: RIP.....my local video store at the age of 30

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm

The times, they are a changin'.

Not always for the better.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Same story, different location. Sad.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I sympathize with you. Years ago I had a couple of places I rented movies from that Were owned by folks who loved movies. I could go to either place and spend a hour talking movies with the guys behind the counter. Fun times back then. It's all gone now. I just buy my blu rays off Amazon now with my prime membership and have Netflix on my Roku.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 pm

We lost a great local store last year, Stadium Video. Great place to find forgotten or cult titles. Sad to see places like this go.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:We lost a great local store last year, Stadium Video. Great place to find forgotten or cult titles. Sad to see places like this go.

i totally agree that more often than not, small video stores hardly ever stocked cult titles or forgotten films. There is such a small demand for such that they could never make money on them. So, when Corner Video opened back in 1983, it was such a departure from other video stores in just about every way. That's what made it unique.
Every Tuesday, Corner Video had a video rental special. 4 DVD rentals for $5. That's when i would catch up to some cult/drive-in films i had never seen and watched great ones over again. Tuesday nights were always my night off from work. i could kick back, drop in a movie, pop open a few brewski's and enjoy "crap movie night".
It will be damned hard to drive by that empty store on Tuesdays and NOT pull into their parking lot. :cry:

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:52 pm

elvisbot wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:We lost a great local store last year, Stadium Video. Great place to find forgotten or cult titles. Sad to see places like this go.

i totally agree that more often than not, small video stores hardly ever stocked cult titles or forgotten films. There is such a small demand for such that they could never make money on them. So, when Corner Video opened back in 1983, it was such a departure from other video stores in just about every way. That's what made it unique.
Every Tuesday, Corner Video had a video rental special. 4 DVD rentals for $5. That's when i would catch up to some cult/drive-in films i had never seen and watched great ones over again. Tuesday nights were always my night off from work. i could kick back, drop in a movie, pop open a few brewski's and enjoy "crap movie night".
It will be damned hard to drive by that empty store on Tuesdays and NOT pull into their parking lot. :cry:

Very sad news but It's the same trend for most countries. You could try maybe learning to download movies (or whatever) legally as and when they appear on You Tube, Vimeo or Dailymotion.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 pm

I watch a lot of youtube, but it's not as enjoyable as popping a dvd (or even vhs) into the player and kicking back for a couple hours. But this is called progress.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:I watch a lot of youtube, but it's not as enjoyable as popping a dvd (or even vhs) into the player and kicking back for a couple hours. But this is called progress.

Absolutely. For sure I miss the luxury of renting a DVD. Hey Nothing lasts Forever...