Off Topic Messages

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:43 am

How come the Judy Garland tribute to Baroness Thatcher is no 4 on the British Charts

Was the single pressed and distributed before the death?

As I have always suspected, these charts are rigged as the record industry supplies them

Re: Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:45 am

KiwiAlan wrote:How come the Judy Garland tribute to Baroness Thatcher is no 4 on the British Charts

Was the single pressed and distributed before the death?

As I have always suspected, these charts are rigged as the record industry supplies them

No, the song's been around for over seventy years though. Download it on itunes enough and it hits the charts. Doesn't have to be a single release, can be an album track these days.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 am

I think you may have missed Kiwialan's irony, Peter.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 am

George Smith wrote:I think you may have missed Kiwialan's irony, Peter.

Whether his post is ironic or not, the UK charts aren't 'fixed' as far as I know.

And downloading has blurred the distinction between albums & singles !

If a track is downloaded in enough quantities, it can make the 'singles' charts these days.

As far as the 'Witch' song goes, we won't know it's position in the 'official' chart until that is broadcast on Sunday evening.

The BBC is currently considering whether or not they will play it during the chart run-down.

Some people claim that they will be making a 'political statement' if they play the song, but surely it's the opposite !

The BBC won't necessarily be supporting the reasons behind the chart position by playing it, they will be acknowledging the simple fact that it has charted.

By not playing it, they will be imposing their 'opinion' on the situation which is, for me, an unacceptable step to take.

STOP PRESS !

I just read that the BBC won't be playing it during their chart run-down on Sunday !

Instead, a 5-second snatch will be played in a 'news item' during the show !

That's pathetic !
Last edited by ColinB on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:10 am

ColinB wrote:

Whether his post is ironic or not, the UK charts aren't 'fixed' as far as I know.

If a track is downloaded in enough quantities, it can make the 'singles' charts these days.

As far as the 'Witch' song goes, we won't know it's position in the 'official' chart until that is broadcast on Sunday evening.

The BBC is currently considering whether or not they will play it during the chart run-down.

Some people claim that they will be making a 'political statement' if they play the song, but surely it's the opposite !

The BBC won't necessarily be supporting the reasons behind the chart position by playing it, they will be acknowledging the simple fact that it has charted.

By not playing it, they will be imposing their 'opinion' on the situation which is, for me, an unacceptable step to take.

They also count something else now, so I am partly responsible!!! :smt002

http://www.futurehitdna.com/billboard-hot-100-counts-youtube-views-and-bot-views-will-suffer/

rjm

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:17 am

rjm wrote:They also count something else now, so I am partly responsible!!! :smt002

http://www.futurehitdna.com/billboard-hot-100-counts-youtube-views-and-bot-views-will-suffer/

rjm

Yes.

Modern players now 'report back' each time a track is played in the home.

Each time a person plays a track on their PC, laptop, CD/DVD player, i-pod, i-pad, tablet or smart phone, it counts towards the song's position in the chart that week.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:44 am

ColinB wrote:Modern players now 'report back' each time a track is played in the home.

Each time a person plays a track on their PC, laptop, CD/DVD player, i-pod, i-pad, tablet or smart phone, it counts towards the song's position in the chart that week.

That can't be right, otherwise 'Oh Lord It's Hard to be Humble' by Mac Davis would be number one as DJC must have it playing permanently on a loop.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Totally distasteful that people are buying this track in mockery over a former British Prime Minister's death.

The way some people have 'celebrated' her death and what they are writing about her on social networking sites, makes me ashamed to be British. :oops:

Regardless of peoples views on what she did when she was PM, those people should show some respect or stay silent when someone of her status has died.

There don't seem to be much decency in the world we are living in now.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:52 pm

ColinB wrote:

STOP PRESS !

I just read that the BBC won't be playing it during their chart run-down on Sunday !

Instead, a 5-second snatch will be played in a 'news item' during the show !

That's pathetic !

It has been said a few times in the last few days, from her authorised biographer to a free speech organisation spokesman, that banning the song would have annoyed her. She could handle all kinds of hostility and she would have no truck with the BBC's approach. Who would have thought it - a Sex Pistols track from 1977 a Frankie Goes to Hollywood No.1 and a song from The Wizard of Oz all appearing on banned list..

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 pm

the public have spoken

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Bodie wrote:Totally distasteful that people are buying this track in mockery over a former British Prime Minister's death.

The way some people have 'celebrated' her death and what they are writing about her on social networking sites, makes me ashamed to be British. :oops:

Regardless of peoples views on what she did when she was PM, those people should show some respect or stay silent when someone of her status has died.

True it should all be said while the person lives, but we are ALL going to die! And on major occasions in our lives, including our deaths, we will all be held to account as to how we lived our one life. In one way or another.

I don't want people "respecting" me at my death, if I did not not live a life deserving of such honor. If I hurt people, I wouldn't want it hushed just because I had passed.

Do you remember Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "self-eulogy"?

"Don't tell 'em that Martin Luther King, Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize, no, don't tell 'em that. Tell 'em that Martin Luther King, Jr. tried to LOVE SOMEBODY!!!"

Could Thatcher give such instructions? If not, then she gets what she gets for the life she lived.

We all do, in one way or another. All.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:13 am

Bodie wrote:Totally distasteful that people are buying this track in mockery over a former British Prime Minister's death.

In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power.

When asked what she was going to do for all the workers whose jobs she had removed, she replied: "Can't they mend kettles ?"

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 am

Has anyone considered that the release of OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL (now in cinemas) may also have had an impact on the number of downloads for the Wizard Of Oz classic track?

They should go with that theory and play it on the chart show!

I went to see the new OZ film yesterday. You know what, it's pretty darn entertaining!

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:42 am

ColinB wrote:

In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power.

When asked what she was going to do for all the workers whose jobs she had removed, she replied: "Can't they mend kettles ?"

"The people have no bread . . ."

"Let them eat cake."

More than a "celebration"! I'd say Maggie was quite lucky by comparison.

rjm

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:10 am

keninlincs wrote:the public have spoken

And the public are right.Ding dong.

norrie

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 am

Most of these idiots 'celebrating' her death very likely weren't even born when she was a PM and if any of them were born and suffered whilst she was a PM , i doubt very much that they tried to contact her in the last 20 years through letter or email letting her know how much she effected their lives in a negative way but now she is dead they feel they need to let the world know how much damage she did. :roll:

The thing is, she is dead, so how is all this celebrating, getting one over on her?

The only people that they are really hurting is Thatcher's family and for that reason, these celebrations are totally wrong.

I do hope that no one goes up to London on Wednesday to protest, to me that's just sick.

I don't think there has ever been a PM that has done a perfect 100% job and pleased every person in Britain, Thatcher indeed made mistakes whilst she was PM but she also did alot of good things as well.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:26 pm

I was in London last and there was a huge demo in Trafalgar Square, hundreds of police.

It was somewhat like the celebrations that greet the end of a dictatorship and the return of democracy by a monument of national importance. Of course, there was the usual mix of genuinely agrieved protesters celebrating, curious onlookers and people who were just there for the party.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:13 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead

Wow! When I first saw the subject title of this thread I thought Nancy Pelosi or Hillary Clinton had died!

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 am

The song made No.2 in the official UK 'singles' chart this week.

Not bad for something recorded 70+ years ago !

Ding Dong - The Witch is Dead.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 am

Blue River wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead

Wow! When I first saw the subject title of this thread I thought Nancy Pelosi or Hillary Clinton had died!

smt185

rjm

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Has anyone considered that the release of OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL (now in cinemas) may also have had an impact on the number of downloads for the Wizard Of Oz classic track?

They should go with that theory and play it on the chart show!

I went to see the new OZ film yesterday. You know what, it's pretty darn entertaining!

Very good point! Why has the media overlooked this fact! It probably had a major impact on the number of downloads for the Wizard Of Oz classic track! I actually thought about downloading it myself after watching the new film Oz the Great and Powerful. I Iove the film! :)