Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis and Pim Maas

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 am

Searching the internet I stumbled upon this photo showing Elvis with, from left:
Pim Maas sr., Pim Maas, 'Mom Maas', Elvis, Sanny Hemerik.
590600-Bad Nauheim-w Pim Maas.jpg

source: http://www.harryknipschild.nl/harryknip ... is-presley

From what I can tell from the article (written in Dutch) the meeting took place in early June 1959.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis and Pim Maas

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Excellent, Brian. Thank you!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:16 pm

bripet56 wrote:Searching the internet I stumbled upon this photo showing Elvis with, from left:
Pim Maas sr., Pim Maas, 'Mom Maas', Elvis, Sanny Hemerik.
590600_w Pim Maas_parents_manager.JPG

source: http://www.harryknipschild.nl/harryknipschild.nl/index.php/verhalen-over-popmuziek/135-109-pim-maas-de-nederlandse-elvis-presley

From what I can tell from the article (written in Dutch) the meeting took place in early June 1959.

There are a bunch of photos from this meeting with Pim Maas, his dad, mom and manager Samuel "Sanny" Hemerick (who was also president of the Amsterdam Elvis Presley Fan Club).

590800_w Pim Maas_Germany_01.JPG

590600_w Pim Maas_Germany_02.JPG

The 14 year-old won an Elvis Presley contest in May 1959, gaining the sobriquet "Elvis Presley of Holland" and getting signed to RCA Germany. The Amsterdam contest was meant to publicize "King Creole." Participants sang in-between showings of the film, which had just been released there.

Pim's parents owned a cafe in Amsterdam which served U.S. soldiers, one of whom was part of Elvis' group in Friedeburg. He heard demos Pim's dad had put on the cafe jukebox of "Tutti Frutti" and "Baby I Don't Care" and offered to set up a meeting. It actually happened, and they went to see Presley shortly after.

Maas recalls that during his two-day visit Presley had to keep a promise to entertain his battalion, and invited him to be part of the set. With Elvis on guitar and Pim on piano, they did the songs Maas had demoed, "Tutti Frutti" and "Baby I Don't Care," plus "Teddy Bear." His first single came out that September, along with shows where his dad's band backed him up ("Presley Cats").

590907_Pim Maas_Krasnapolsky flyer.jpg

Below are two 1959-1960 single A-sides from young Pim. Do you hear Elvis?

phpBB [video]

Pim Maas "All Right Baby" (RCA Germany 47/61-9267, September 1959)
Note: Pim's single debut on RCA, at the age of 15.

phpBB [video]

Pim Maas "G.I. in Amsterdam" (RCA Germany 47/61-9309, February 1960)
Note: the intro foreshadows the sound of the title track to Elvis' 1960 musical, "G.I. Blues."

Below is an archival CD -- it appears CD1 holds the vintage recordings.

Pim Maas: The Dutch Elvis * Now & Then

CD1
01 All Right Baby
02 Kansas City
03 The Way You Kiss Me All The Time
04 Can I Make A Date With You, My Baby
05 Soldier (G.I.) In Amsterdam
06 Darling You Stole My Heart
07 No More
08 Moonlight Swim
09 The Drifter
10 I'll Keep Searching
11 Bobby Darin Medley: But Not For Me/Love Walked In/Somebody Loves Me
12 What Makes The World
13 For You My Only Love
14 You've Got The Music In Your Eyes
15 Try Once More
16 Blue Suede Shoes
17 One Night
18 Lucille
19 Blueberry Hill
20 Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On
21 High Heel Sneakers
22 One Night

CD2
01 That's All Right
02 Blue Moon Of kentucky
03 Harbor Lights
04 Heartbreak Hotel
05 Blue Christmas
06 Love Me
07 Treat Me Nice
08 Can't Help Falling In Love
09 Loving You
10 Stuck On You
11 Teddy Bear
12 Don't
13 It's Now Or Never
14 Don't Be Cruel
15 One Night
16 Blue Suede Shoes
17 I Gotta Know
18 Are You Lonesome Tonight
19 All Shook Up
20 Love Me Tender
21 Hound Dog
22 Too Much
23 I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
24 Surrender
25 Hard Headed Woman

http://www.samsammusic.com/Pim-Maas/nl

590907_Pim Maas_in concert.jpg

If still with us today, Pim Maas turns 69 on June 26.

Time flies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 pm

I've met pim maas last year, he's a old friend from my grandfather, sadley this man is vanishing, when i met him altough briefly, he looked like he was in a diffrent world, he wasn't much of a talker and my grandfather had to tell him some thing for him to even remember my grandfather

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:28 pm

By the way, thanks for finding the article, bripet56 -- very cool.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 am

Thank you Bripet56 and Doc. And Pim Maas is indeed still with us and occasionally still performs.(a.o. Elvis songs)

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:04 am

Simon1 wrote:Thank you Bripet56 and Doc. And Pim Maas is indeed still with us and occasionally still performs.(a.o. Elvis songs)

Sad to say, I fail to hear any Elvis in those early singles.