Off Topic Messages

Widescreen and Stereophonic Sound in 1953

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:37 am

Our latest article, "The New Era in Screen Dimensions" is now on the website.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/wides ... umentation

I hope that you will find it interesting. If so, please share.

Thanks!

Bob

Re: Widescreen and Stereophonic Sound in 1953

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Great article, answers many questions. Thank you

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Very interesting, thanks.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm

That's a quality website. Thanks.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Very interesting read.
In the sixties I was able to see the projectorroom of a cinema and how things worked. In that time there was something "burning" which gave the light for the projector. It had to be adjusted every 5 minutes as otherwise the picture would go darker and darker.
I know a guy who had a cinema in his home. The projector just fits in-between the floor and the ceiling.
Where movie theatres have multiple projectors for continual showing of movie reels, this guy has only one projector so after a reel has finished, he has to rewind. In the meantime he plays some music and caters for drinks and snacks. A 5-reel movie does not last 1 1/2 hours but 4 hours including the 4 breaks. 8)
He has 4 reels of Frankie & Johnny, the first one is missing.
He also has lots of newsreels and cartoons and a 1960's music movie featuring Peter & Gordon and the like. This movie was never transferred to DVD or VHS! And he checks whether someone has a videocamera whenever he shows this movie to friends.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm

The burning light is carbon arc illumination, standard in the industry from the turn of the century to the 1980's when xexon lamps were introduced.

I know somebody with a complete 35mm print of F&J. The Technicolor is great and it really looks good on the big screen!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Here's a preview of our upcoming article: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/shane-in-widescreen

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 am

zolderopruiming1 wrote:...He also has lots of newsreels and cartoons and a 1960's music movie featuring Peter & Gordon and the like.
This movie was never transferred to DVD or VHS!
And he checks whether someone has a videocamera whenever he shows this movie to friends.

Title ?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:35 am

ColinB wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:...He also has lots of newsreels and cartoons and a 1960's music movie featuring Peter & Gordon and the like.
This movie was never transferred to DVD or VHS!
And he checks whether someone has a videocamera whenever he shows this movie to friends.

Title ?

Possibly called "Exodus Song".

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Thank you to our good friend Leonard Maltin: http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmalti ... ieand-more

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 am

I'll dig into this one in a bit, thanks! See, I just got my own "widescreen" today: a SMART TV!! Blu-Ray, 3-D, keyboard remote, and everything! (I've been saving my pennies for quite a while now, and decided to just do it.)

Thanks again: fascinating history.

rjm

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 am

That's excellent, congratulations!

If you want Golden Age 3-D, I highly recommend the Blu-rays of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and DIAL M FOR MURDER.

Detailed reviews are on the site.

Let us know what you think. Have fun!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Thank you for posting that, as a movie buff it made for very interesting reading. I have on DVD 'The Big Trail' 1930 staring John Wayne in Grandeur and very impresive it is too. I have read that it was only ever shown in that process in New York and Los Angeles as, due to the depresion other cinimas couldn't afford to upgrade.