Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 pm

The Hobbit was the last movie I saw....few days ago.
Enjoyed it but nearly as good as the LOTR movies.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 am

Snake Eyes wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Seen both Hansel and Gretel & the croods at the cinema in 3D and both excellent.also seen The Guilt Trip it was ok, funny in parts.

I've been trying to swerve The Croods, but will have to see it at some point. Last week I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises and have watched it a few times since.

The dark knight rises loved most of the movie ! but was a bit overly long and some parts were a bit tedious.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Criss Cross with Kirk Douglas. I have been getting into these film noir movies of the late 40's & 50's. It reminds me of being in a cinema on a rainy Sat afternoon of yore. Very entertaining. King Creole is sort of like these types of movies and that is why it is so great. It belongs to a certain time period and was done great with a great director.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 am

Django Unchained on blu ray. What a great film. Top notch audio and video also.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:38 pm

rocknroller wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Seen both Hansel and Gretel & the croods at the cinema in 3D and both excellent.also seen The Guilt Trip it was ok, funny in parts.

I've been trying to swerve The Croods, but will have to see it at some point. Last week I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises and have watched it a few times since.

The dark knight rises loved most of the movie ! but was a bit overly long and some parts were a bit tedious.

Yeah some parts were long, but the scenes with Bane were worth the wait.

I've since seen the Croods and to be honest, wasn't expecting anything from it, must've had something in my eye during certain parts.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 pm

"Oblivion"... still dunno what to think about it... :?

Not a bad film at all but certainly no blockbuster movie.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:07 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:"Oblivion"... still dunno what to think about it... :?

Not a bad film at all but certainly no blockbuster movie.

On one hand, Oblivion has an awful lot going for it, but ultimately suffers from a lack of originality and a tendency to feel shop-worn. It is good sci-fi, and looks marvellous, with set-design and special effects of the highest caliber. It begins well and creates an air of intrigue and fascination as a smaller story on a large scale when we only have three characters on screen -- Tom Cruise and Andrea Riseborough as Earth's only inhabitants and Melissa Leo as their off-Earth contact who is overseeing their mission. Here, despite so much familiarity from the likes of Wall-E, Saturn 3, Moon, Total Recall and other previous sci-fi movies besides, with such outstanding production values, good performances and certain intrigue, it works - and works well - in creating a believable and fascinating world. When the dynamics change through the introduction of Olga Kurylenko's character and the threat of the Scavs, here is where it flounders, in my opinion. This is because the Scavs are poorly written and too obvious in what they are, and after establishing a sense of place and purpose, here's a facet of the story that's terribly underwritten and presented for the audience to take, largely, on face-value because this aspect of the film is so familiar. Especially when we go into Star Wars and Independence Day territory. Overall, I did like Oblivion, but I didn't love it -- I thought Tom Cruise was ideally cast, however, and was nothing less than impressed by Joseph Kosinski's vision on what's only his second film as a director. But with originality sorely amiss, the best of Oblivion is often overshadowed by familiarity.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 am

I just saw jurassic park in 3d at the regal cinema in Orlando as it was something to do to get out of the rain.it was very good in 3d
Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 pm

The blu ray release of Repo Man on Criterion.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Going back to some of the films mentioned on previous posts, The Paperboy was one that I found quite fascinating in places, especially with some good performances throughout. It's not a particularly good film, nor is it memorable for any reason other than the trashy aspects that are played out unashamedly by a director who, quite literally, lost the plot here. And there lies the problem with this film, in my opinion, at least -- it's one thing to have a trashy script and performances to match that IF there's nothing of substance within the story, or if that's the objective in the first place. But here, the story became wholly inconsequential when the central narrative of the film was lost in favour of individual scenes becoming more important than the bigger picture. Had the characters, themselves, been better defined and better written, this could have leant more towards being a character study in spite of narrative, but the entire film is so murky that it's nigh-on impenetrable -- even Macy Gray's voice-over made little sense in places. Zac Effron has continued to impress me, however -- I wasn't entirely keen on Charlie McCloud, but thought he was good here and splendid in the likes of 17 Again and Me and Orson Welles. Kidman was also good here, and remains an actress of some substance and range -- a good contrast with her full-on performance in The Paperboy, is her performance in Park Chan-Wook's latest film, the compelling Stoker. Here, Kidman is aloof, cool and very nauanced in one of her better roles of late and a fine English language debut for the Korean director. Whilst, I'm not sure that I've ever seen John Cusack on better form than as the death-row inmate whose story should be the narrative core of The Paperboy. He does chew the scenery a bit, but he's certainly more animated and interesting than usual.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Good to see you back greystoke.. Your posts are always worthwhile.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:39 pm

I saw Olympus Has Fallen at the cinema today -- which is very much of the Die Hard mould with Gerard Butler in the lead role and the events of the film centering around North Korean terrorists taking the White House under siege. Antoine Faqua directs and produced the film along with Butler, Avi Lerner and a host of others, and although Faqua can be an interesting director, this is strictly by-the-numbers stuff. We've seen enough Die Hard-inspired films (and Die Hard films) over the past 25 years to know that we've seen everything in this movie before. Still, this is more than a few points ahead of the latest Die Hard instalment, and despite being generic to a fault, poorly lit, badly edited and offering some really shoddy CGI, it's a fairly entertaining movie. And that, mostly, comes down to Butler being well cast and putting in the effort on screen with regards to his physicality, if not his acting. For which he's rarely handed the kind of one-liners and memorable moments required to make-up for the many plot deficiencies and daft mistakes, such as The White House being called The Whitehouse on some in-film news broadcasts or the North Korean border being called The North Korean boarder!!!! I wouldn't expect a second viewing to hold much, unlike the original Die Hard, which remains both a stellar and a pivotal action film. For fans of the genre, however, you'll be-able to pick apart Olympus Has Fallen on a scene-by-scene basis, but will probably enjoy some of the action if you're willing to go along for the ride.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:04 am

Watched the extended cut of Major Dundee on blu ray.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm

greystoke wrote:Going back to some of the films mentioned on previous posts, The Paperboy was one that I found quite fascinating in places, especially with some good performances throughout. It's not a particularly good film, nor is it memorable for any reason other than the trashy aspects that are played out unashamedly by a director who, quite literally, lost the plot here. And there lies the problem with this film, in my opinion, at least -- it's one thing to have a trashy script and performances to match that IF there's nothing of substance within the story, or if that's the objective in the first place. But here, the story became wholly inconsequential when the central narrative of the film was lost in favour of individual scenes becoming more important than the bigger picture. Had the characters, themselves, been better defined and better written, this could have leant more towards being a character study in spite of narrative, but the entire film is so murky that it's nigh-on impenetrable -- even Macy Gray's voice-over made little sense in places. Zac Effron has continued to impress me, however -- I wasn't entirely keen on Charlie McCloud, but thought he was good here and splendid in the likes of 17 Again and Me and Orson Welles. Kidman was also good here, and remains an actress of some substance and range -- a good contrast with her full-on performance in The Paperboy, is her performance in Park Chan-Wook's latest film, the compelling Stoker. Here, Kidman is aloof, cool and very nauanced in one of her better roles of late and a fine English language debut for the Korean director. Whilst, I'm not sure that I've ever seen John Cusack on better form than as the death-row inmate whose story should be the narrative core of The Paperboy. He does chew the scenery a bit, but he's certainly more animated and interesting than usual.

It's nice to see Efron getting some credit. I find him a very likeable actor for the most part, and have to say I enjoyed Charlie McCloud as well, slightly slushy though it was. I only saw Me and Orson Welles relatively recently (the wonders of Poundland!) and thought he was very good in that, and thought the film as a whole was a fine work in general.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 pm

I saw Iron Man 3 at the cinema yesterday -- the first instalment of Marvel 's phase II. For Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.), the story continues in the emotional aftermath of The Avengers, with bouts of insomnia and panic attacks threatening his sanity and his relationship with Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts. To cause further issues, a new threat to world security comes in the shape of The Mandarin -- played superbly by Sir Ben Kingsley, in what's sure to remain one of the most memorable performances in the Marvel Universe. Further problems arise when Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian and a new breed of super-soldier appear with only malevolence in mind.

This is a fine entry in the series and perhaps the most entertaining Iron Man film to date. It's not quite up to the best Marvel adaptations thus far, nor does it seek the resonance and emotional depths of the Dark Knight trilogy. But with a decent amount of plot, great action and stellar special effects, the shortcomings here pass by with relative ease because it's a fun ride buoyed tremendously by Robert Downey, Jr.'s performance in the lead, and great turns by Pierce and Kingsley. Problematic is the super-soldiers, who are ill-defined and almost generic, given that we've seen variations on this before. Whilst, a few plot-threads are merely hinted at without a better understanding afforded -- but we can easily fill in the blanks. The 3D adds nothing here, so I would recommend seeing the standard release in what's sure to please most Marvel and comic book fans.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Cheers for the review greystoke im going to see iron man 3 tomorrow.im a bit behind in seeing the lastest movies(i was away for a week)hopefully catch evil dead,Oblivion and Olympus Has Fallen over the next few days.identity theft was the last movie i seen at the cinema very funny in parts but not a movie i would buy !!!

Wed May 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Today at the cinema I saw Bernie and On the Waterfront. Bernie, being Richard Linklater's 2011 black comedy, based on the true story of an east Texas undertaker's assistant who may be too sweet to be wholesome. And On the Waterfront, Elia Kazan's 1954 masterpiece, which has been newly restored and converted to a terrific digital print. This has long been one of my favourite movies, and on the big screen, it's all the more engaging, thrilling and moving. Kazan and Brando at the height of their abilities, but also Steiger and Malden. Eva Marie Saint may never have been better than here, whilst Boris Kaufman's outstanding cinematography is beautifully matched by Leonard Bernstein's invigorating score.

Bernie, on the other hand, is a certain curio and a good picture in its own right. It's small scale, and a great vehicle for Jack Black, who gives his best performance in some time, proving ideally cast and able to reign it in when necessary. There is singing and dancing for Black in this role, but without any lingering notions that it was about to slip out of his hand in favour of indulgence. And that's also down to Linklater, who is good for Black, it seems. School of Rock was an absolute blast, of course, but this is entirely different, and for Black, a welcome change of pace. Co-starring here is Shirley MacLaine as an elderly widow with whom Black's Bernie forms an unusual relationship. Something that doesn't go unnoticed by the local townsfolk, with Bernie as loved as his widow companion is hated. MacLaine is also well cast here, although she doesn't have much dialogue, her face and expressions convey much of what's required of her. And it must have been quite special for Linklater to direct MacLaine, as he's spoken at length about how much he admires and reveres Vincente Minnelli's 1958 classic, Some Came Running, in which MacLaine co-starred with Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra, receiving an Oscar nomination as a result. No Oscars here, but this is a bit of a gem that's worth catching while on release.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 pm

American Pie 2 for some light relief.

Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 am

WOW can't believe i missed On the Waterfront in the cinema :cry: was it one of those 1 night only deals greystoke ? seen iron man 3 this week loved it !!!

Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 am

I have Amazon Prime now that I've got my new BIG SMART TV, and I have a number of things on my watch list. I also saw a film in the theater. Third entry, for "last actual movie seen in a theater."

First two Amazon Prime features, last weekend:

1. "Religulous" Bill Maher.
Review: RIDICULOUSLY repetitive! He keeps either talking about his childhood in the car, or making fun of people of various religions, as if EVERY person of faith is a total idiot. I was a little offended, though I know his humor. But IT WASN'T FUNNY! It really wasn't, and had a short message, which he delivers at the end. Whomever produced and directed it, did NOT know how to make a documentary, much less a satirical one. No structure. I would not recommend it, even if you're a stone atheist. In HD, though, the picture quality was just amazing!!!

2. The next Amazon Prime "movie" was June Juanico's collection of memories and home movies of her and Elvis from '56.
Review: Loved it! Highly recommended.

Last actual movie seen in a theater:
A few weeks ago, I saw Olympus Has Fallen.
Review: If you like blood, guts, merciless murders, and LOTS of dead bodies, this is your picture.
Not my cup of, uh, tea. Ate a lotta popcorn. Surprised I didn't barf it up, with all the bloodletting!

rjm

Thu May 02, 2013 10:26 pm

greystoke wrote:I saw Iron Man 3 at the cinema yesterday -- the first instalment of Marvel 's phase II. For Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.), the story continues in the emotional aftermath of The Avengers, with bouts of insomnia and panic attacks threatening his sanity and his relationship with Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts. To cause further issues, a new threat to world security comes in the shape of The Mandarin -- played superbly by Sir Ben Kingsley, in what's sure to remain one of the most memorable performances in the Marvel Universe. Further problems arise when Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian and a new breed of super-soldier appear with only malevolence in mind.

This is a fine entry in the series and perhaps the most entertaining Iron Man film to date. It's not quite up to the best Marvel adaptations thus far, nor does it seek the resonance and emotional depths of the Dark Knight trilogy. But with a decent amount of plot, great action and stellar special effects, the shortcomings here pass by with relative ease because it's a fun ride buoyed tremendously by Robert Downey, Jr.'s performance in the lead, and great turns by Pierce and Kingsley. Problematic is the super-soldiers, who are ill-defined and almost generic, given that we've seen variations on this before. Whilst, a few plot-threads are merely hinted at without a better understanding afforded -- but we can easily fill in the blanks. The 3D adds nothing here, so I would recommend seeing the standard release in what's sure to please most Marvel and comic book fans.

Thanks for the review Greystoke.

It's good to know that Iron man 3 is better than Iron man 2 was.

I was disappointed by Iron Man 2 and didn't know if this film would be any good.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:13 am

On the Waterfront played over three days, I think, rocknroller. Tuesday and Wednesday, certainly -- at the Film Theatre. I can't remember if you've mentioned going there, but it's a great cinema.

I agree with you on Iron Man 2, Brian. The second outing didn't offer much other than being a lead-on to The Avengers. In Iron Man 3, they could have indicated towards the second Avengers picture, but wisely kept the focus on Tony Stark and extended his character arc from the first movie. I'm really looking forward to Thor: The Dark World.

Today at the cinema I saw Love Is All You Need, a Danish, multi-lingual romantic comedy/melodrama starring Pierce Brosnan and Trine Dyrholm. I've always rated Brosnan as an actor and have liked the few films I've seen of director Susanne Bier, such as Things We Lost in the Fire, Open Hearts and A Better World. This story, of an Italian wedding between the son of Brosnan's fruit and vegetable wholesaler to the daughter of recovering cancer patient, Dyrholm, is as much about endings as it is beginnings. Bringing with it a host of characters and situations that move between genuine laughs and real problems. Brosnan is quite superb here, bringing oodles of charm to a character with rich emotional depths and a backstory gradually revealed in gestures and expressions before expressing in words what the viewer may already expect or appreciate. To my mind, this is one of the best performances of his career, playing every scene perfectly. Especially those with Dryholm, who gives an incredibly brave performance with a very difficult role. The entire cast are terrific, as is Bier's direction and use of some truly gorgeous scenery. It's a beautifully lensed film, that may occasionally play like it's a touch familiar, but it packs an emotional wallop that makes Love Is All You Need one of this year's surprise gems.
Last edited by greystoke on Fri May 03, 2013 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:20 am

greystoke wrote:On the Waterfront played over three days, I think, rocknroller. Tuesday and Wednesday, certainly -- at the Film Theatre. I can't remember if you've mentioned going there, but it's a great cinema.

No i never check the Film Theatre(although i am now)i have a unlimited cineworld card so i always go to cineworld.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:58 am

It's a great cinema, definitely worth checking out if they happen to show something you like or may not see at Cineworld. The film festival was really great this year, especially the James Cagney season. Their brochure details its monthly schedule, and is free. So it's worth picking up any time you're passing, just to get an idea of what's upcoming. Or check it out on line.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:51 am

greystoke wrote:It's a great cinema, definitely worth checking out if they happen to show something you like or may not see at Cineworld. The film festival was really great this year, especially the James Cagney season. Their brochure details its monthly schedule, and is free. So it's worth picking up any time you're passing, just to get an idea of what's upcoming. Or check it out on line.

Will do,i missed james cagney too :roll: cheers for the info mate :smt023