Off Topic Messages

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 pm

HungerMoon wrote:I just pointed out what you had missed ...

Right. ;-)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:26 pm

r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:Elvis was Elvis, but Bruce is better in concert. He still does great shows even in his 60's. Way more energetic shows and less schmaltz. Just compare any of these shows to Aloha. The image is one thing, the show is another. He is no where near the singer Elvis is, but the show is way more satisfying for a true rock and roll fan.

Comparing Elvis Presley to Bruce Springsteen is hardly fair to either one of them... besides did you ever see Elvis perform in the 50's or in Las Vegas in 1969? And Bruce is a different kind of performer... it's his music and he's all about his music... Elvis' live performances were more about the performance than the song... to me anyway...

Not really. they are both from the same ilk, basically rock and roll music. No I never seen Elvis perform in the 50's and as for 1969, well TTWII is pretty comparable to that , maybe a bit less energetic. And therein lies my point. After 1970, Elvis seem to lose a bit of steam, and quite frankly, I feel got a bit lazy about his live show, falling into a basic routine through the years like he did in the movie years. Bruce never did. I never heard a Bruce show criticized even by non-Bruce fans. Cannot say the same for Elvis.

They are far from being basically the same...

1) Bruce is in control of his career and makes his own choices
2) Elvis was addicted to prescription drugs as well as having to deal with bouts of depression throughout the 70's
3) Bruce writes his own music
4) While Bruce puts on an incredible show, he is nowhere near being the dynamic performer that Elvis Presley was in his prime
5) Elvis' career was driven by someone motivated by money... Bruce's career is driven by his music

My point is, while I do agree that Elvis' performances post 1970 may have been lack-luster, it's not an apples to apples comparison between the two men.
Also, Elvis, as you see him in TTWII performing in August of 1970, is no comparison to the fireball he was in the summer of 1969.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:24 am

elvis-fan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:But the box set served a purpose for the average Springsteen fan.

That set was given to me as a gift (the year it came out) for Christmas. Considering myself only an average fan back in the 80's and only owning Born In The USA by that point, I must have played those cassettes a million times... it was the first time I ever heard Thunder Road and The River.

I know how you feel. The Live 1975-1985 set was huge seller in Australia. However I was disappointed to read many years later that there was overdubs added on some of the live tracks by the E-Street Band members. In hindsight why not just release 2-3 complete shows between those years as DJC suggested ?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:31 am

elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:Elvis was Elvis, but Bruce is better in concert. He still does great shows even in his 60's. Way more energetic shows and less schmaltz. Just compare any of these shows to Aloha. The image is one thing, the show is another. He is no where near the singer Elvis is, but the show is way more satisfying for a true rock and roll fan.

Comparing Elvis Presley to Bruce Springsteen is hardly fair to either one of them... besides did you ever see Elvis perform in the 50's or in Las Vegas in 1969? And Bruce is a different kind of performer... it's his music and he's all about his music... Elvis' live performances were more about the performance than the song... to me anyway...

Not really. they are both from the same ilk, basically rock and roll music. No I never seen Elvis perform in the 50's and as for 1969, well TTWII is pretty comparable to that , maybe a bit less energetic. And therein lies my point. After 1970, Elvis seem to lose a bit of steam, and quite frankly, I feel got a bit lazy about his live show, falling into a basic routine through the years like he did in the movie years. Bruce never did. I never heard a Bruce show criticized even by non-Bruce fans. Cannot say the same for Elvis.

They are far from being basically the same...

2) Elvis was addicted to prescription drugs as well as having to deal with bouts of depression throughout the 70's
4) While Bruce puts on an incredible show, he is nowhere near being the dynamic performer that Elvis Presley was in his prime
5) Elvis' career was driven by someone motivated by money... Bruce's career is driven by his music

My point is, while I do agree that Elvis' performances post 1970 may have been lack-luster, it's not an apples to apples comparison between the two men.
Also, Elvis, as you see him in TTWII performing in August of 1970, is no comparison to the fireball he was in the summer of 1969.

What a great statement from r&b. You are spot on :smt023 That's what separates Bruce Springsteen from just about every other act in the business both past and present. However I have to disagree with your comparisons to Elvis career as highlighted by Brad (Canada) .

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:41 am

elvis-fan wrote:They are far from being basically the same...

Come on, Bruce is a little near.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:38 am

OK I'll give you that... he is pretty damn good!