Off Topic Messages

Moonlight Swim By Nick Noble

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:07 am

Interesting "cover" version .......

phpBB [video]

Re: Moonlight Swim By Nick Noble

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:27 am

That's the original version, Nick Noble recorded it in "57 and it hit #37 on the chart.

Here;s a related topic:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56118&hilit=Moonlight+Swim

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:54 pm

It appears the first version out was by Joel Grey, then Ray Noble, and finally Tony Perkins.

As noted, Noble's only reached Billboard U.S. Pop #37 and Grey's missed the Top 40 altogether, despite some ad muscle by Capitol.

Billboard - August 12, 1957

Billboard - August 26, 1957

Billboard - September 16, 1957
Note review claimed Noble was "out first" with this tune; they forgot their August review of Grey's 45.

Tony Perkin's rendition, his maiden RCA effort, reached #24 on the pop charts for exactly one week, its debut on the top 40.

Billboard - October 7, 1957

One listen to the Perkins single proves Elvis' 1961 master closely follows this arrangement.

phpBB [video]

"Moon-light Swim," Anthony Perkins (RCA Victor 47-7020, October 1957)
With Orchestra and Chorus Conducted by Frank DeVol

Billboard U.S. Pop #24
Written by Sylvia Dee and Ben Weisman

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Interesting thread on this pleasant if somewhat nondescript song.
Diverting slightly, has it ever been determined where the home recording of Moonlight Swim that features on The Colonel's Collection [MAC Records 1993] originates from? I have never been totally convinced this was Elvis. Parts of the recording sound like him other parts to my ears do not. The clean overdubbed female backing tends to confuse matters even further. A strange curio indeed.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

Notice who wrote the ditty

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Interesting thread on this pleasant if somewhat nondescript song.
Diverting slightly, has it ever been determined where the home recording of Moonlight Swim that features on The Colonel's Collection [MAC Records 1993] originates from? I have never been totally convinced this was Elvis. Parts of the recording sound like him other parts to my ears do not. The clean overdubbed female backing tends to confuse matters even further. A strange curio indeed.

That's not Elvis. Just an impersonator.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Notice who wrote the ditty

You mean co-wrote, I suspect. Yup, a very familiar name indeed.