Off Topic Messages

Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 am

What do others think of this one ? Some months ago Greybeard started up a topic of Bruce doing GRT in concert last year. However Bruce has nailed this one as long ago as 1978 in Atlanta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZehBm6_d51k


Here's another from New Jersey on 20 September 1978. I'm not sure which one of the two is the best but it's great to have a number of choices :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dOKvrHVIrc

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:27 am

I have these all on CD. Do you?

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 am

No. Was the New Jersey show derived from an FM broadcast ?

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Robt wrote:No. Was the New Jersey show derived from an FM broadcast ?


Actually both versions are derived from FM Broadcasts:

Passaic, New Jersey - September 19, 1978 (broadcast along the East Coast)

Atlanta, GA - September 30, 1978 (broadcast to the Southeast)

Bruce had only added the song to his act in mid-August 1978.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 am

Thanks mate. I Just found this one on YT !!!!. An incredible 4 hour concert and over 30 songs by the Boss. This was released as a bootleg titled Passiac Night (11-19-1978 Passiac New Jersey). Bruce's attitude to bootleggers is interesting to read about (ie Great White Wonder book)...


phpBB [video]

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 am

Robt wrote:Thanks mate. I Just found this one on YT !!!!. An incredible 4 hour concert and over 30 songs by the Boss. This was released as a bootleg titled Passiac Night (11-19-1978 Passiac New Jersey). Bruce's attitude to bootleggers is interesting to read about (ie Great White Wonder book)...


phpBB [video]



The show is from 9-19-1978. It was one of the five FM broadcasts Bruce approved on the 1978 tour and all are essential.

You sure love YouTube.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 am

Yes and how extraordinary to read that back then, he took to the stage for that length of time. Do you recall the longest concert you had attended ?

One more thing if I may back in 1986 Bruce and Sony (then CBS) should have released this high quality energy concert instead of the erratic boxed set, LIve 1975-1985.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 am

I love how Bruce attacks the song. Really has fun with it. Oh and the band isn't too shabby :)

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Robt wrote:Yes and how extraordinary to read that back then, he took to the stage for that length of time. Do you recall the longest concert you had attended ?


The 1978 Passaic broadcast was NOT an "incredible 4 hour concert and over 30 songs":
https://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1978#190978

Bruce is not known to have done a 4 hour gig. His longest documented shows -- all around three and a half hours:

12-31-1980 Uniondale
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1980#311280
10-02-1985 Los Angeles
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1985#021085
06-24-1993 East Rutherford
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1993#240693
06-07-2012 Milan
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/2012#070612


Robt wrote:One more thing if I may back in 1986 Bruce and Sony (then CBS) should have released this high quality energy concert instead of the erratic boxed set, LIve 1975-1985.


Nah. There are many contenders for a single-show release from 1978, most would agree San Francisco would top the list. But the box set served a purpose for the average Springsteen fan. It's just that long-timers should have had options for complete shows from 1975, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1984 and 1985. Each year offered unique and special performances.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Robt wrote:Thanks mate. I Just found this one on YT !!!!. An incredible 4 hour concert and over 30 songs by the Boss. This was released as a bootleg titled Passiac Night (11-19-1978 Passiac New Jersey). Bruce's attitude to bootleggers is interesting to read about (ie Great White Wonder book)...


phpBB [video]




Superb Robt. Thanks for giving these screen time. Bruce in 1978...I am so excited to have this convey me, in mind, back to a wonderful event. It gripped me so much that I think I've missed another train, but, no matter, it has made my day!

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robt wrote:Yes and how extraordinary to read that back then, he took to the stage for that length of time. Do you recall the longest concert you had attended ?


The 1978 Passaic broadcast was NOT an "incredible 4 hour concert and over 30 songs":
https://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1978#190978

Bruce is not known to have done a 4 hour gig. His longest documented shows -- all around three and a half hours:

12-31-1980 Uniondale
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1980#311280
10-02-1985 Los Angeles
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1985#021085
06-24-1993 East Rutherford
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1993#240693
06-07-2012 Milan
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/2012#070612


Robt wrote:One more thing if I may back in 1986 Bruce and Sony (then CBS) should have released this high quality energy concert instead of the erratic boxed set, LIve 1975-1985.


Nah. There are many contenders for a single-show release from 1978, most would agree San Francisco would top the list. But the box set served a purpose for the average Springsteen fan. It's just that long-timers should have had options for complete shows from 1975, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1984 and 1985. Each year offered unique and special performances.



Thanks mate. Good to read about the Brucebase website. SO the New Jersey show is NOT 4 hours and over 30 songs !!! Guess the You Tube uploader has added in extra songs from another show. As to your last sentence weren't there bootleg records available by 1986 of complete shows and gigs in the years you highlighted ? Finally which was the longest show you attended ?

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Bruce is not known to have done a 4 hour gig. His longest documented shows -- all around three and a half hours:

12-31-1980 Uniondale
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1980#311280
10-02-1985 Los Angeles
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1985#021085
06-24-1993 East Rutherford
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1993#240693
06-07-2012 Milan
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/2012#070612

Guess you missed the brucebase info for the 2012-07-31 gig in Helsinki: "With the longest show in his performing history, of course. 33 songs over four hours 6 minutes, and that doesn't include the five song acoustic pre-set played to the fans that made it into the stadium early".

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 am

Suds wrote:
Robt wrote:Thanks mate. I Just found this one on YT !!!!. An incredible 4 hour concert and over 30 songs by the Boss. This was released as a bootleg titled Passiac Night (11-19-1978 Passiac New Jersey). Bruce's attitude to bootleggers is interesting to read about (ie Great White Wonder book)...


phpBB [video]




Superb Robt. Thanks for giving these screen time. Bruce in 1978...I am so excited to have this convey me, in mind, back to a wonderful event. It gripped me so much that I think I've missed another train, but, no matter, it has made my day!


My pleasure. My friend it's good to discover that there are lots of dedicated Bruce fans going to such lengths of putting up these shows from '78 (and beyond) on You Tube.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:47 am

HungerMoon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Bruce is not known to have done a 4 hour gig. His longest documented shows -- all around three and a half hours:

12-31-1980 Uniondale
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1980#311280
10-02-1985 Los Angeles
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1985#021085
06-24-1993 East Rutherford
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1993#240693
06-07-2012 Milan
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/2012#070612

Guess you missed the brucebase info for the 2012-07-31 gig in Helsinki: "With the longest show in his performing history, of course. 33 songs over four hours 6 minutes, and that doesn't include the five song acoustic pre-set played to the fans that made it into the stadium early".


Thanks mate. Really extraordinary stuff! Is the Helsinki show out on bootleg (as in the whole show!) Hey I only just found out about the Brucebase website thanks to Johnno. Looks like a really fun place to read :lol:

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:51 am

Robt wrote:Thanks mate. Really extraordinary stuff! Is the Helsinki show out on bootleg (as in the whole show!) Hey I only just found out about the Brucebase website thanks to Johnno. Looks like a really fun place to read :lol:


There are a few sources for the show over at the all Bruce torrentsite Jungleland:
http://jungleland.dnsalias.com/torrents-browse-date.php?year=2012&month=7&day=31

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 pm

HungerMoon wrote:Guess you missed the brucebase info for the 2012-07-31 gig ...


So did they, as it's not mentioned in the group of longest shows which I referenced from their site.

You should write them so no one else will ever miss out on this crucial update:

brucebase.wiki@gmail.com

Let us know how much they appreciate your help.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Elvis was Elvis, but Bruce is better in concert. He still does great shows even in his 60's. Way more energetic shows and less schmaltz. Just compare any of these shows to Aloha. The image is one thing, the show is another. He is no where near the singer Elvis is, but the show is way more satisfying for a true rock and roll fan.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HungerMoon wrote:Guess you missed the brucebase info for the 2012-07-31 gig ...


So did they, as it's not mentioned in the group of longest shows which I referenced from their site.

You should write them so no one else will ever miss out on this crucial update:

brucebase.wiki@gmail.com

Let us know how much they appreciate your help.


Good to see you live up to the image, Doc ;-)

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:But the box set served a purpose for the average Springsteen fan.

That set was given to me as a gift (the year it came out) for Christmas. Considering myself only an average fan back in the 80's and only owning Born In The USA by that point, I must have played those cassettes a million times... it was the first time I ever heard Thunder Road and The River.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 pm

r&b wrote:Elvis was Elvis, but Bruce is better in concert. He still does great shows even in his 60's. Way more energetic shows and less schmaltz. Just compare any of these shows to Aloha. The image is one thing, the show is another. He is no where near the singer Elvis is, but the show is way more satisfying for a true rock and roll fan.

Comparing Elvis Presley to Bruce Springsteen is hardly fair to either one of them... besides did you ever see Elvis perform in the 50's or in Las Vegas in 1969? And Bruce is a different kind of performer... it's his music and he's all about his music... Elvis' live performances were more about the performance than the song... to me anyway...

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:48 pm

HungerMoon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
HungerMoon wrote:Guess you missed the brucebase info for the 2012-07-31 gig ...


So did they, as it's not mentioned in the group of longest shows which I referenced from their site.

You should write them so no one else will ever miss out on this crucial update:

brucebase.wiki@gmail.com

Let us know how much they appreciate your help.


Good to see you live up to the image, Doc ;-)


You get what you give. ;-)

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:09 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:Elvis was Elvis, but Bruce is better in concert. He still does great shows even in his 60's. Way more energetic shows and less schmaltz. Just compare any of these shows to Aloha. The image is one thing, the show is another. He is no where near the singer Elvis is, but the show is way more satisfying for a true rock and roll fan.

Comparing Elvis Presley to Bruce Springsteen is hardly fair to either one of them... besides did you ever see Elvis perform in the 50's or in Las Vegas in 1969? And Bruce is a different kind of performer... it's his music and he's all about his music... Elvis' live performances were more about the performance than the song... to me anyway...


Not really. they are both from the same ilk, basically rock and roll music. No I never seen Elvis perform in the 50's and as for 1969, well TTWII is pretty comparable to that , maybe a bit less energetic. And therein lies my point. After 1970, Elvis seem to lose a bit of steam, and quite frankly, I feel got a bit lazy about his live show, falling into a basic routine through the years like he did in the movie years. Bruce never did. I never heard a Bruce show criticized even by non-Bruce fans. Cannot say the same for Elvis.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:09 pm

I just pointed out what you had missed, that you take that as a personal snub says more about you than me so spare me the sarcasm.
But no biggie, I'll still enjoy your usually well researched and interesting topics.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:27 pm

HungerMoon wrote:I just pointed out what you had missed, that you take that as a personal snub says more about you than me so spare me the sarcasm.
But no biggie, I'll still enjoy your usually well researched and interesting topics.


No I didnt take anything as a personal snub nor was I trying to be sarcastic(?). Thanks for discussing as opposed to others that just insult you when you state an opinion.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Good Rockin' Tonight (Atlanta 1978)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 pm

r&b wrote:
HungerMoon wrote:I just pointed out what you had missed, that you take that as a personal snub says more about you than me so spare me the sarcasm.
But no biggie, I'll still enjoy your usually well researched and interesting topics.


No I didnt take anything as a personal snub nor was I trying to be sarcastic(?). Thanks for discussing as opposed to others that just insult you when you state an opinion.


That was intended as a reply to the resident doctor, you just snuck in between posts. But nobody should lose any sleep over this small matter anyways.
Important part is that Bruce did and still does rock and plays for a long time :)