Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Richard Sterban book: from Elvis to Elvira

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:35 pm

Richard was a former member of the Stamps in 1972 and writes about his time singing with Elvis among other stories in his new book. HAS anyone got it and is it worth getting?

Re: Richard Sterban book: from Elvis to Elvira

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:Richard was a former member of the Stamps in 1972 and writes about his time singing with Elvis among other stories in his new book. HAS anyone got it and is it worth getting?

I've not heard much about it. Richard Sterban was with the Elvis Presley Show from November 5, 1971 to September 4, 1972, as a member of the the Stamps Quartet, almost exactly 10 months. Fortunately for him, this timeline included two of the major events in Presley's '70s career, the "Elvis On Tour" documentary and the shows at Madison Square Garden.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Richard was a former member of the Stamps in 1972 and writes about his time singing with Elvis among other stories in his new book. HAS anyone got it and is it worth getting?

I've not heard much about it. Richard Sterban was with the Elvis Presley Show from November 5, 1971 to September 4, 1972, as a member of the the Stamps Quartet, almost exactly 10 months. Fortunately for him, this timeline included two of the major events in Presley's '70s career, the "Elvis On Tour" documentary and the shows at Madison Square Garden.

It's getting good reviews could be an interesting read...

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Sterban had a good co-writer and editor for the project. Flows well, easy to read, and quite professionally put together. I would recommend it (got mine autographed when he was in Memphis during Elvis Week 2012). Well written and researched (including recording sessions and specific concert dates) at 290 pages. The book's prologue is about Elvis. By page 41 he is talking about JD Sumner & the Stamps Quartet. Page 57 starts the Elvis stuff in detail, going over 40 pages. He revisits Elvis throughout the book and also offers some great anecdotes on Johnny Cash. And 15 pages with color and black and white photos [seven from the Elvis era].

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Cool! Gotta get this one somehow!

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Got the book last august, Richard was in Memphis
did not read it
got a lot of books Anita Wood - Will Bardahl Mc Daniel - Rex & Elisabeth Mansfield - Dr.Nick - Shirley Connell and Rock a billy from Billy Poore

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 pm

sylvain wrote:Got the book last august, Richard was in Memphis
did not read it
got a lot of books Anita Wood - Will Bardahl Mc Daniel - Rex & Elisabeth Mansfield - Dr.Nick - Shirley Connell and Rock a billy from Billy Poore

Wow, he looks terrible with that hair. I like the copied Elvis hair with the mutton chops from EOT a lot better!

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 pm

eligain wrote:
did not read it

Wow, he looks terrible with that hair. I like the copied Elvis hair with the mutton chops from EOT a lot better!

What about that ugly shirt?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 am

jeremylr wrote:Sterban had a good co-writer and editor for the project. Flows well, easy to read, and quite professionally put together. I would recommend it (got mine autographed when he was in Memphis during Elvis Week 2012). Well written and researched (including recording sessions and specific concert dates) at 290 pages. The book's prologue is about Elvis. By page 41 he is talking about JD Sumner & the Stamps Quartet. Page 57 starts the Elvis stuff in detail, going over 40 pages. He revisits Elvis throughout the book and also offers some great anecdotes on Johnny Cash. And 15 pages with color and black and white photos [seven from the Elvis era].

Thanks - I must get a copy now!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:43 am

JimmyCool wrote:
eligain wrote:
did not read it
richardqz.jpg

Hey, it's a picture of Elvis, it's not ugly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:
eligain wrote:
did not read it

Hey, it's a picture of Elvis, it's not ugly!

:lol:

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:25 am

jeremylr wrote:Sterban had a good co-writer and editor for the project. Flows well, easy to read, and quite professionally put together. I would recommend it (got mine autographed when he was in Memphis during Elvis Week 2012). Well written and researched (including recording sessions and specific concert dates) at 290 pages. The book's prologue is about Elvis. By page 41 he is talking about JD Sumner & the Stamps Quartet. Page 57 starts the Elvis stuff in detail, going over 40 pages. He revisits Elvis throughout the book and also offers some great anecdotes on Johnny Cash. And 15 pages with color and black and white photos [seven from the Elvis era].

Thanks for the good words about Richard's book. I'm proud to say that I worked on it with him. I've quoted from the book a few times in other posts but never really felt like I should "advertise" it here. (Though I will say that some friends of this site were very helpful throughout the process).

Richard had considered writing a book for many years but decided in 2011 to finally do it, and it was released in August of 2012. Though we've been friends for years, what attracted me to his story was that he'd led such a successful life AFTER his time with Elvis, but it was all shaped and greatly influenced by his time with him. (He's often said that no matter how much time he got to spend with Elvis, he never got over being in awe of him. He speaks of that time as his "college education" because he so intently watched how Elvis interacted with people (and fans), and he always tried to live up to it in his post-Elvis career).

I always told him that if he were a banker today (or some other profession) then his own story wouldn't be as compelling, but I was always drawn to the tale of how a background singer who found himself singing with, arguably, the greatest performer of all time, could have the confidence to leave that situation to join a group (The Oak Ridge Boys) that relatively few had even heard of at the time. And then (as we all know) a few short years later, the King was gone and The Oaks were headlining many of those same arenas where he had sung with Elvis.

If anyone chooses to read it, I believe you'll find Richard to be a humble guy who was, and remains, awed and proud of his time with Elvis. He never tries to insert himself into situations or stories (as so many others have) and he never tries to make himself seem more significant to Elvis than he was. I found that very refreshing throughout the process.

Thanks again to all for the good words.