Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 pm

I watched the Phil Spector movie on HBO last night starring Al Pacino and it occurred to me that this could have been Elvis! We're always talking about the dangerous game Elvis was playing with drugs but we rarely talk about the dangerous game Elvis was playing with guns. Like Spector, Elvis had a lot of guns. Also like Spector, he liked to pull them on people. He was very reckless with guns; shooting at TVs and chandelier bulbs and brandishing them while loaded. I know of at least 2 incidents where he almost killed Dr. Nick and Linda Thompson with stray bullets and I'm sure there were more. Elvis could have very easily wound up facing murder charges if his gun antics had continued.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Maybe but he wouldn't have gotten 20 years like Spector did.

He would get off because it would be determined to have been an accident.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Elvis was above the law. It didn't matter who he might have killed, there was no way he would serve a day in prison for it. Accident or deliberately. He was Elvis freaking Presley! What we've seen with other famous stars like OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson we would have never seen Elvis go through. Years ago, I was watching a documentary on television and there was a story about how Elvis once went racing his sports car down Poplar Avenue in Memphis and got pulled over for reckless driving. But when the cop saw who it was, he asked Elvis for an autograph for the cop's wife and never gave him a speeding ticket. The man made his own laws.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:07 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was above the law. It didn't matter who he might have killed, there was no way he would serve a day in prison for it. Accident or deliberately. He was Elvis freaking Presley! What we've seen with other famous stars like OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson we would have never seen Elvis go through. Years ago, I was watching a documentary on television and there was a story about how Elvis once went racing his sports car down Poplar Avenue in Memphis and got pulled over for reckless driving. But when the cop saw who it was, he asked Elvis for an autograph for the cop's wife and never gave him a speeding ticket. The man made his own laws.

I'm not so much talking about Elvis getting convicted but winding up with murder or manslaughter charges and standing trial. Either way, Elvis was playing with fire. If he had accidently killed Linda, I'm sure her family would have went after him with everything they had and it would not have been pretty.

This movie leaves it open as to whether Spector killed her and shows evidence that maybe he didn't but I haven't really studied this case so I don't know how accurate the evidence in the movie was.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 pm

eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was above the law. It didn't matter who he might have killed, there was no way he would serve a day in prison for it. Accident or deliberately. He was Elvis freaking Presley! What we've seen with other famous stars like OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson we would have never seen Elvis go through. Years ago, I was watching a documentary on television and there was a story about how Elvis once went racing his sports car down Poplar Avenue in Memphis and got pulled over for reckless driving. But when the cop saw who it was, he asked Elvis for an autograph for the cop's wife and never gave him a speeding ticket. The man made his own laws.

I'm not so much talking about Elvis getting convicted but winding up with murder or manslaughter charges and standing trial. Either way, Elvis was playing with fire. If he had accidently killed Linda, I'm sure her family would have went after him with everything they had and it would not have been pretty.

I'm not so sure about that.

I believe Linda Thompson's parents were christians and if it was an accident they probably would have found it in their hearts to forgive him.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 am

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:

I believe Linda Thompson's parents were christians and if it was an accident they probably would have found it in their hearts to forgive him.

Well, the MM probably had a contingency plan for Charlie to take the rap just like they had when that girl almost died from the cough syrup.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 am

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:

Well, the MM probably had a contingency plan for Charlie to take the rap just like they had when that girl almost died from the cough syrup.

Sure that would have gotten Elvis bad publicity that everyone around him wanted to avoid.

The girls mother didn't hold it against Elvis though.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:34 am

What the hell? :facep:

If Elvis was arrested in 1956 for a fight at a service station (and then brought to jail)...then surely he would be punished for committing murder.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:17 am

Justin wrote:

If Elvis was arrested in 1956 for a fight at a service station (and then brought to jail)...then surely he would be punished for committing murder.

Elvis was never arrested.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:21 am

eligain wrote:I watched the Phil Spector movie on HBO last night starring Al Pacino and it occurred to me that this could have been Elvis! We're always talking about the dangerous game Elvis was playing with drugs but we rarely talk about the dangerous game Elvis was playing with guns. Like Spector, Elvis had a lot of guns. Also like Spector, he liked to pull them on people. He was very reckless with guns; shooting at TVs and chandelier bulbs and brandishing them while loaded. I know of at least 2 incidents where he almost killed Dr. Nick and Linda Thompson with stray bullets and I'm sure there were more. Elvis could have very easily wound up facing murder charges if his gun antics had continued.

Highly unlikely. We would have heard about it. Why are you so sure?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:27 am

WildStyle wrote:
eligain wrote:I watched the Phil Spector movie on HBO last night starring Al Pacino and it occurred to me that this could have been Elvis! We're always talking about the dangerous game Elvis was playing with drugs but we rarely talk about the dangerous game Elvis was playing with guns. Like Spector, Elvis had a lot of guns. Also like Spector, he liked to pull them on people. He was very reckless with guns; shooting at TVs and chandelier bulbs and brandishing them while loaded. I know of at least 2 incidents where he almost killed Dr. Nick and Linda Thompson with stray bullets and I'm sure there were more. Elvis could have very easily wound up facing murder charges if his gun antics had continued.

Highly unlikely. We would have heard about it. Why are you so sure?

Agreed. Especially considering at how the guys around him love to tell "their" story. They surely wouldn't forget about him almost killing another person with his playing Russian roulette.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:37 am

brian wrote:Maybe but he wouldn't have gotten 20 years like Spector did.

He would get off because it would be determined to have been an accident.

No, as noted, he would not have gone to jail because Charlie would have (gladly) taken the rap. Anything for a friend.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:25 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Justin wrote:

Elvis was never arrested.

The police came, and all three were booked at the station. He paid bail money! (It was June Juanico's carfare to Memphis.)

I do believe that indicates a bust. This was no traffic ticket. The case was polished off in "night court" fashion, but he was busted.

Frankly, I'm not sure why he alone was aquitted, especially when the huge dude didn't hit anybody. (Not Hopper; the other guy.)

BTW, the HBO film was a whitewash. Even said it was "not based on a true story." And disclaimed that it was fictional.

Forget it.

"The Agony and the Ecstasy of Phil Spector" is a good film!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 am

The October 1956 incident was not an arrest, but a speeding violation ticket issue the year before did result in a trip to the local police station.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 am

I think Elvis had enough problems without us making more for him! Yes anything could have happened to him or Jerry Lee or others who mixed pills with guns. Spector though is a different case. People were scared of him for years and he was a much darker guy than Elvis ever could be. Spector was going to hurt someone and sadly I wasn't surprised when this happened as much I like his work.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:21 am

So, how was the movie? (I don't have HBO) And, how did Al Pacino do as he played Phil Spector?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:45 am

When Elvis beat up the gas station owner in Memphis in 1956 he was just starting out and not yet established as "The King". Had that had happened in, say, 1970, then it would have never gone to court. It would have been thrown out immediately. There was an altercation between Elvis and a former Graceland staff worker named Ivory (or Ivy) who was relieved of his duties in 1965. Elvis asked him to leave and he refused to then threatened Vernon in which Elvis sucker punched him, knocking him out. The man tried to press charges but because it was on Elvis' private property and the man was considered a tress passer, there were no charges brought up.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The October 1956 incident was not an arrest, but a speeding violation ticket issue the year before did result in a trip to the local police station.

I never said "arrested" because it isn't clear how the three arrived at the station. But he was booked, posted $52.00 bail, and then released pending a trial a few hours later.

He was not released on his own recognisence (sp???). He made his own bail. Even joked "maybe I should put down 'Carl Perkins'" as his name. But he was not permitted to walk out without the bail.

If OJ hadn't fled, he would not have been "arrested" either. He would have surrendered. But a "bust" is a bust.

But I promised myself "no semantics debates!" Now, I feel a sense of weakness. I gave in, and argued a silly point - which I won't win. I'm not proud of this! ;)

rjm (the Spector HBO film was a lie - shameful)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:There was an altercation between Elvis and a former Graceland staff worker named Ivory (or Ivy) who was relieved of his duties in 1965. Elvis asked him to leave and he refused to then threatened Vernon in which Elvis sucker punched him, knocking him out.

I don't think he was knocked out. And why was it a "sucker punch"? The stories suggest that the guy was obnoxious and threatening, and so Elvis dealt with him. You make it sound like Elvis snuck up and hit him when he wasn't looking.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was above the law. It didn't matter who he might have killed, there was no way he would serve a day in prison for it.

Oh gawd. Did you know Elvis was a vigilante of the night in his spare time (some might say a dark knight) fighting crime deep down in Memphis? There's a reason he sang Stranger In My Own Home Town you know, Sonny was always ending up in the pen taking the rap for Elvis.

Elvis liked to think outside the box, the little rascal.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 am

Boy, that Elvis sure was one bad dude! Maybe the parents were right in 1956 when they proclaimed him an agent for the devil.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 am

I think I will give it a watch ,just because Al is in it

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Boy, that Elvis sure was one bad dude! Maybe the parents were right in 1956 when they proclaimed him an agent for the devil.

Well, all Elvis would do is get the President on the line. Who knows how many whistle blowers have been hushed for Big 'El so he could keep answering that secret red phone..

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:22 pm

TJ wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:There was an altercation between Elvis and a former Graceland staff worker named Ivory (or Ivy) who was relieved of his duties in 1965. Elvis asked him to leave and he refused to then threatened Vernon in which Elvis sucker punched him, knocking him out.

I don't think he was knocked out. And why was it a "sucker punch"? The stories suggest that the guy was obnoxious and threatening, and so Elvis dealt with him. You make it sound like Elvis snuck up and hit him when he wasn't looking.

Sorry. Didn't mean to say sucker punched. I don't know why I put that in there. It was late when I typed it. What I meant to say was that Elvis punched him and knocked him out from the story that was told. It also made the Memphis newspaper back then.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Matthew wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Boy, that Elvis sure was one bad dude! Maybe the parents were right in 1956 when they proclaimed him an agent for the devil.

Well, all Elvis would do is get the President on the line. Who knows how many whistle blowers have been hushed for Big 'El so he could keep answering that secret red phone..

Joke all you want. Truth is that Elvis had more power than you realize. Name another human who could walk into the White House during a war time with a loaded hand gun on him and not be apprehended? Better yet, name another entertainer who can just make an overnight appointment to speak with the president and have it granted?