Off Topic Messages

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:39 am

Image
notice the clear heads on his bass drums. This is from 1971.

Wolfy1969, was his 1974 Octa-Plus drumset stainless steel or chrome over wood?

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:37 am

I'm sorry, I hadn't even realized any more posts had been made to this thread...lol
Anyway, if anyone is still following it.....
Ronnie's 'chrome kit' was actually chrome over WHITE VISTALITE!! I was surprised when he told me that. Said they were both heavy and loud as hell..
It looked to me like that kit was 6 and 8" single headed concert toms then 10, 12, 13, 14" double headed rack toms and 16, 18" floors, OR, 8,10" concert toms, then 12, 13, 14, 15 rack toms and the 16 and 18" floors with either configuration in power tom depths. He did tell me that kit had 26" bass drums - so those were Bonham sized kicks. If you've ever been to a Guitar Center and sat behind the Bonham reissue kit - you KNOW how HUGE a 26" kick is. It's monstrous! Ron also said he added a 20" Paiste ride with that kit.

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Bonzo_Bonham wrote:Image
notice the clear heads on his bass drums.



??????????

There aren't any drums in this photo??? :roll:

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:31 am

Whoops, my bad, that wasn't even the picture I intended to post. Sorry. Will have to dig around to find the picture I actually intended to post...

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:37 am

Wolfy1969 wrote:I'm sorry, I hadn't even realized any more posts had been made to this thread...lol
Anyway, if anyone is still following it.....
Ronnie's 'chrome kit' was actually chrome over WHITE VISTALITE!! I was surprised when he told me that. Said they were both heavy and loud as hell..
It looked to me like that kit was 6 and 8" single headed concert toms then 10, 12, 13, 14" double headed rack toms and 16, 18" floors, OR, 8,10" concert toms, then 12, 13, 14, 15 rack toms and the 16 and 18" floors with either configuration in power tom depths. He did tell me that kit had 26" bass drums - so those were Bonham sized kicks. If you've ever been to a Guitar Center and sat behind the Bonham reissue kit - you KNOW how HUGE a 26" kick is. It's monstrous! Ron also said he added a 20" Paiste ride with that kit.


From what I can gather from pictures on elvisconcerts.com, Ronnie received the "COV" kit at the beginning of the Summer 1974 engagement in Las Vegas in August 1974. The last concert with his blue sparkle kit was the July 2, 1974 concert in Salt Lake City.


Wow, never knew they were 26 inchers, always thought they were 24's... Figured they were Vistalites underneath, the white interior struck me as strange, as in 1974 Ludwig was using granitone in their interiors. Then read up about how in order to get the poorly selling white Vistalites out the door, they wrapped them in chrome (just like wrapping the poorly selling Mod Orange and Citrus Mod kits in Black Panther earlier before), something started to click....
Remember Ronnie briefly played a Vistalite on tour but was quickly unsatisfied with the result and went back to maple drums...

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 am

Image

Not to get this off the topic of the blue sparkle drums, but didn't anyone notice that at the beginning of the March 1975 Las Vegas engagement, Ronnie is playing a Ludwig kit with only one bass drum? I saw a picture of it many moons ago, it looked like a Pro-Beat kit.

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Bonzo_Bonham wrote:Image

Not to get this off the topic of the blue sparkle drums, but didn't anyone notice that at the beginning of the March 1975 Las Vegas engagement, Ronnie is playing a Ludwig kit with only one bass drum? I saw a picture of it many moons ago, it looked like a Pro-Beat kit.



Um...in that picture, there are clearly TWO bass drums. And BOTH have his name on them and they are clearly Ludwig's.

Also, for a while after Elvis's death, Ronne played TAMA drums. If you'll look on DrummerWorld & the DrummerWorld forum and find his entry, you'll see the pictures.

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Bonzo_Bonham wrote:Image

Not to get this off the topic of the blue sparkle drums, but didn't anyone notice that at the beginning of the March 1975 Las Vegas engagement, Ronnie is playing a Ludwig kit with only one bass drum? I saw a picture of it many moons ago, it looked like a Pro-Beat kit.



Um...in that picture, there are clearly TWO bass drums. And BOTH have his name on them and they are clearly Ludwig's.

Also, for a while after Elvis's death, Ronne played TAMA drums. If you'll look on DrummerWorld & the DrummerWorld forum and find his entry, you'll see the pictures.


Photo is from December 1975.

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:46 am

i have a 2 pages article on this topic somewhere // cant scan it but i can mail it // interview of RT on a french mag 10 y ago/ // if someone is interested, please be patient

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:03 pm

tcb4 wrote:i have a 2 pages article on this topic somewhere // cant scan it but i can mail it // interview of RT on a french mag 10 y ago/ // if someone is interested, please be patient



I'm VERY interested! Would you be able to email the article, somehow?

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 pm

i will to try to scan it / i have to install the machine / please give me 1 week or 2 8)

Re: Ronnie Tutt's Drum Setup??

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:12 pm

tcb4 wrote:i will to try to scan it / i have to install the machine / please give me 1 week or 2 8)



Alrighty. :)