Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Could the 68' Special be the next legacy release?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 am

With it being the 45th anniversary of the "68 Special" could it be the next legacy release? I know we had the "68 Special" box set but stranger things have happened.

Re: Could the 68' Special be the next legacy release?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:20 am

2008's The Complete 68 Comeback Special is for all intent and purposes a Legacy Edition in the truest sense of what a true Legacy Edition ought to be. I can't see any reason why Sony would bother reissuing the content again when the current product remains in print.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:33 am

Dixieland Rocks wrote:With it being the 45th anniversary of the "68 Special" could it be the next legacy release?

It might be on Ernst's radar for an FTD classic album release.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:21 am

How about an overdub version of the 68 Comeback like the Roots Revolution cd? Where they overdubbed the drums and bass and guitars on the Louisiana Hayride recordings. It sounds really good too.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:11 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:How about an overdub version of the 68 Comeback like the Roots Revolution cd? Where they overdubbed the drums and bass and guitars on the Louisiana Hayride recordings. It sounds really good too.

Sounds like a Billboard #1 smash hit album to me!

8)

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:How about an overdub version of the 68 Comeback like the Roots Revolution cd? Where they overdubbed the drums and bass and guitars on the Louisiana Hayride recordings. It sounds really good too.

I'm not keen on such overdubs, and had no interest in Roots Revolution. It's highly unlikely any such work would be done on the 1968 live recordings.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm

If done right, it could work, and maybe earn elvis a new NR 1 hit. I also liked the roots revolution cd the only downside for me where that the hayride recordings where of much lower quality soundwise. Luckily if they do this with the comeback show they won't have that trouble.
I would nominate these to be Remixed then

Tiger Man
Blue Suede Shoes (Sitdown version)
Heartbreak Hotel/Hound Dog/All Shook Up Medley
Love Me Tender
Can't Help Falling In Love
Love Me (Sitdown)
Jailhouse Rock
Trouble
I'm Saved (without all those other songs before it)
Let Yourself Go
Big Boss Man (They could splice it somehow with another version)
If I Can Dream (without too much overdubbing, but simply some strings and bass)

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:

If done right, it could work, and maybe earn elvis a new NR 1 hit. I also liked the roots revolution cd the only downside for me where that the hayride recordings where of much lower quality soundwise. Luckily if they do this with the comeback show they won't have that trouble.

Tiger Man
Love Me Tender
Love Me (Sitdown)
Jailhouse Rock
Trouble
Let Yourself Go

Add Baby What You Want Me To Do (stand-up version) as the bass is lowered in that mix.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I'm not keen on such overdubs, and had no interest in Roots Revolution. It's highly unlikely any such work would be done on the 1968 live recordings.

Probably so, but it is thinking outside the box and as we know, Sony nor RCA ever thinks outside the box.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Matthew wrote:

8)

I guess we'll never know.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:17 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:

8)

What fire lights a firefly? I guess we'll never know.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:30 pm

elvisjock, please stop with the shenanigans and stick to the topic.

What miracle brought you to me? I'll never know.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:

8)

I know.

:wink:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:56 pm

A Legacy release of the Comeback Special? No...please...no...after they butchered the main Aloha show, um, we don't need them butchering any other music.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm

I think it will come out...all the studio outtakes are worth a FTD release :wink:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:

Tiger Man
Love Me Tender
Love Me (Sitdown)
Jailhouse Rock
Trouble
Let Yourself Go

What on earth would be the point in this with Elvis looking at his very best, at his most personable, giving great performances and with the sit-down shows akin to the unplugged/acoustic settings which are still relevant (and probably inspired those of) today. In other words, why butcher and play around with what is probably the set of recordings in Presley's catalogue that are probably most relevant to the audiences of 2013? It would be lunacy. As has been stated, the 2008 boxed set pretty much has all anyone would need and is now only about £14 for the four discs. The studio outtakes may be of interest to fans, but they are still the least interesting element of the show itself and the production numbers are not what the show is remembered for today - and rightly so.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Tiger Man
Love Me Tender
Love Me (Sitdown)
Jailhouse Rock
Trouble
Let Yourself Go

What on earth would be the point in this with Elvis looking at his very best, at his most personable, giving great performances and with the sit-down shows akin to the unplugged/acoustic settings which are still relevant (and probably inspired those of) today. In other words, why butcher and play around with what is probably the set of recordings in Presley's catalogue that are probably most relevant to the audiences of 2013? It would be lunacy. As has been stated, the 2008 boxed set pretty much has all anyone would need and is now only about £14 for the four discs. The studio outtakes may be of interest to fans, but they are still the least interesting element of the show itself and the production numbers are not what the show is remembered for today - and rightly so.

What butchering? We're not talking about a 'Viva Elvis' type of remix or remake. We're talking about a slight overdub that matches the original sound as it sounded live in front of a live audience. There's a lot that could be done with the 68 material that could draw new interest. But, that would be thinking outside the box. They do not do that at Sony. Too cheap.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:

8)

I know.

:wink:

Did you know that A Little Less Conversation would make music history? Or that 30 Number One Hits would be a worldwide success and top the Billboard charts back then? I can answer that for you. No you did not. Nobody knew because we are not God.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:I'm Saved (without all those other songs before it)

You mean something like this?:

SAVED! (FLAC)

I've always liked the edited version of "Saved!", a Leiber/Stoller classic, but not the whole Gospel medley.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:I'm Saved (without all those other songs before it)

You mean something like this?:

SAVED! (FLAC)

I've always liked the edited version of "Saved!", a Leiber/Stoller classic, but not the whole Gospel medley.

Same counts for me, but i meant a slight overdub on I'm saved without making it a 8 minute remake cause of all those other song haha.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Tiger Man
Love Me Tender
Love Me (Sitdown)
Jailhouse Rock
Trouble
Let Yourself Go

What butchering? We're not talking about a 'Viva Elvis' type of remix or remake. We're talking about a slight overdub that matches the original sound as it sounded live in front of a live audience. There's a lot that could be done with the 68 material that could draw new interest. But, that would be thinking outside the box. They do not do that at Sony. Too cheap.

The whole attraction of the 68 comeback is the raw sound of it. Adding sweetening to If I Can Dream, as an example, would completely ruin one of Presley's greatest performances. Why would you or anyone else want to overdub Tiger Man? The whole point of the perofrmance and why it is held in such high regard is because of the edge, raw, half-improvised feel of it. Overdubbing of any kind would lose that feel completely. And whatever you did wouldn't "match the original sound as it sounded live" because that's what we have on record already!

I'm not totally against Guitar Man-type overdubs as a matter of principal, but if they ever go down that route again then it needs to be with relatively unknown material (as basically happened with Rubberneckin and ALLC). There is no point in messing with what isn't broken or even flawed to start with.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Tiger Man
Love Me Tender
Love Me (Sitdown)
Jailhouse Rock
Trouble
Let Yourself Go

The whole attraction of the 68 comeback is the raw sound of it. Adding sweetening to If I Can Dream, as an example, would completely ruin one of Presley's greatest performances. Why would you or anyone else want to overdub Tiger Man? The whole point of the perofrmance and why it is held in such high regard is because of the edge, raw, half-improvised feel of it. Overdubbing of any kind would lose that feel completely. And whatever you did wouldn't "match the original sound as it sounded live" because that's what we have on record already!

I'm not totally against Guitar Man-type overdubs as a matter of principal, but if they ever go down that route again then it needs to be with relatively unknown material (as basically happened with Rubberneckin and ALLC). There is no point in messing with what isn't broken or even flawed to start with.

Apparently you haven't listened to Roots Revolution before. Because if you have you would know exactly what I am referring to.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Apparently you haven't listened to Roots Revolution before. Because if you have you would know exactly what I am referring to.

It works with those early live performances because the bass and/or drums are unaudible most of the time... but it's all there in 1968, it doesn't need anything else.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:30 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Did you know that A Little Less Conversation would make music history? Or that 30 Number One Hits would be a worldwide success and top the Billboard charts back then? I can answer that for you. No you did not. Nobody knew because we are not God.

I knew A Little Less Conversation was going to be a success when I heard it in British night clubs of the day before it was ever a commercial release yes. And the buzz around the upcoming 30#1 Hits at the time, following the success of A Little Less Conversation led me to believe it was going to achieve something. Where were you? Dreaming up the next "thinking outside the box" project?

Game, set, match.

Right?

:smt023

Thank goodness Sony know better than to screw with the Comeback material in the way you suggest. They, like I, KNOW it would not be a commercial success and a waste of money.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:What butchering? We're not talking about a 'Viva Elvis' type of remix or remake. We're talking about a slight overdub that matches the original sound as it sounded live in front of a live audience. There's a lot that could be done with the 68 material that could draw new interest. But, that would be thinking outside the box. They do not do that at Sony. Too cheap.

Too cheap? Try, too "respectful." Sony is smart enough not to disturb the Comeback special by permanently marring it with cheap overdubs just to satisfy the few fans out there that are to dense to appreciate these wonderful performances exactly as they are. In the millions of words written, praising the Comeback special, no one has ever complained that drums were too low in the mix or that it was in need of overdubs to "enhance" the experience. It's kind of mind-boggling to think that any fan would suggest this.