Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Re: Houston Astrodome 74 confusion?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:20 pm

TJ wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:
Francesc wrote:Here it is review from the matinee concert.

ENS-142-02.jpg

Thanks! The song lineup is totally different to that of the recording - and no American Trilogy as in some listings I've seen. To me this seems a quite credible account of the show...?

The songs listed are the same as on Event Number Eight, apart from Sweet Caroline. The order of tracks is a lot different though, although the author of the review does concede that his order might not be exact.

I agree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm

I still claim that the Colonel intro is not on the record where it should be (at the end of Fever) - on the record he goes straight into PSA, and as can clearly be seen in the photo posted earlier, there is a pause in the show, with for example Duke applauding. I can hear no such moment on the record, but if you can, fine...

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:34 pm

It might have been tampered as are so many..but Elvis announcement "Good evening..ladies and gentlemen..this afternoon" says all to me..and who says there is an extra intro of the colonel..okay..if so..this intro could have been done off mike..

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:I still claim that the Colonel intro is not on the record where it should be (at the end of Fever) ...

A careful read of the fan testimony indicates that there was no introduction, and the donkey ride occurred during the performance of "Fever," not at the end.

Near the end of this song, FEVER, Colnel [sic] Parker mounted a very small donkey and EL's dad lead [sic] the donkey to the stage. ELVIS started laughing and the Colnel [sic] handed him some kind of drink. ELVIS then began LET ME BE THERE ...

Any enterprising sound types willing to match that Super 8mm film to the soundboard audio?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
A careful read of the fan testimony indicates that there was no introduction, and the donkey ride occurred during the performance of "Fever," not at the end.

Correct, John. The action is also described this way in Cotten`s book "Did Elvis Sing In Your Hometown, Too ?".

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:A careful read of the fan testimony indicates that there was no introduction, and the donkey ride occurred during the performance of "Fever," not at the end.

Correct, John. The action is also described this way in Cotten`s book "Did Elvis Sing In Your Hometown, Too ?".

Maybe I'm just stupid, but can you please explain to me what's happening here with Duke applauding...? A clear break in the show, in my view? And if that fan report is to be trusted at all, he would then go into Let Me Be There, not Polk Salad Annie...

The Cotten account is clearly taken from that same fan review... :)

What we really need is a recording of the other Houston show - anybody? :)

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:31 pm

You describe it as all that would have lasted ages....I think it was a moment..we should make out this spot in the song..
I can hear Elvis laughing a bit during the song..perhaps that was it..and pointing at those doesn`t necessarily mean he introduced them..

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I can hear Elvis laughing a bit during the song..perhaps that was it..

I don't think Duke would be applauding during Fever...but hey, you guys clearly know what's what, so that's this "mystery" solved...the recording is from the matinee.
Although I still disagree...

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Scotty..please don`t get me wrong..I appreciate your opinion...but I think you are overrating this "introduction" of Parker. It might have been just a moment when they have passed the stage and caught the attention of the band..
We have a clear announcement of Elvis which indicates the AS. ...that`s proof for me..think about it..all other doesn`t make sense..you really think..Elvis would introduce himself to the audience by saying "good evening ladies and gentlemen...this afternoon..?"..during the evening show..not really..

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: HERE.

If someone can match up the soundboard audio to the YouTube moment, the query will be solved.

Here's the whole video:

phpBB [video]

Elvis at the Astrodome, Houston, TX - Sunday, March 3, 1974
Footage sequences: afternoon entrance, afternoon show, evening exit, more afternoon show and Parker donkey trot, afternoon exit.

"fever" -> 3:09 at 3:47 ...... Not the same final with "fever" in the cd. :smt004
....or it's not "fever" :smt005

If you are ok for ""fever" -> 3:09 at 3:47", CD is from EVENING

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:57 pm

It seems like Elvis is continuing singing when he`s bending over the stage to the Colonel...I think it is Fever..just see his leg-shakin..

Perhaps Sweet Caroline was sung after Trying To get To You but perhaps not recorded..
just a thought..is there a cut.?..Where are the sennheiser freaks..?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Ciscoking wrote:What is more evidence than Elvis saying before Love Me.."good evening ladies and gentlemen..we hope you enjoy our part of the show this afternoon.."...

elvisjock wrote:He said virtually the same thing in Memphis.

Which show do you mean..?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Scotty..what does Elvis say at the beginning of the intros..he often refers to the daytime there..

I don`t have the disc handy at the moment..sorry..

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 pm

Regarding sound at the dome, here's a sneak peak of the house system.
The dome carried 12 of these monsters so although sound quality must have been very challenging giving the poor acoustics, there was probably enough power to bring Elvis and TCB band accross.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:11 pm

I have reconsidered the whole affair. I don`t dare to say it but I think Scotty is right.
Before I Got A Woman Elvis says "good evening ladies and gentlemen..I am Event No.8"
Before Love Me he says "good evening ladies and gentlemen..we hope you enjoy our part of the show
this afternoon"..this might be a joke...someone said he did he later in Memphis, too..perhaps we have a date..?
The donkey ride is not mentioned with any word..I cannot imagine this..nowhere no word about it..
Before he leaves a stage..his words imply something final...no word of the evening show to follow..
he thanks for being invited etc..no that`s something final..Scotty I think I am gonna change my records..

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Sweet Caroline was done during the AS..100%..after Trying To Get To You...so it is the ES we have..I found an old listing in my vaults..and it also matches the ES what we have on Event No.8

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 am

Absolutely i always thought it WAS the evening show we have on Disc,....... now if only FTD could delivery us the complete A/S that would be a super one to have~ :wink: :D

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:49 am

Great topic Scott and well done to those astute enough to find and point out the errors we often find on the liner notes of bootleg releases.
Last edited by memfisking on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:55 am

YDKM wrote:Yes its the A/S the songs sung prove that. HEY FTD please give us the Evening Show what a great way to excite us!!!!

YDKM wrote:Absolutely i always thought it WAS the evening show we have on Disc,....... now if only FTD could delivery us the complete A/S that would be a super one to have~ :wink: :D

::rocks

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:03 am

:lol:

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:25 am

Ciscoking wrote:I have reconsidered the whole affair. I don`t dare to say it but I think Scotty is right.
Before I Got A Woman Elvis says "good evening ladies and gentlemen..I am Event No.8"
Before Love Me he says "good evening ladies and gentlemen..we hope you enjoy our part of the show
this afternoon"..this might be a joke...someone said he did he later in Memphis, too..perhaps we have a date..?
The donkey ride is not mentioned with any word..I cannot imagine this..nowhere no word about it..
Before he leaves a stage..his words imply something final...no word of the evening show to follow..
he thanks for being invited etc..no that`s something final..Scotty I think I am gonna change my records..

It seems to me the best way to verify the tape -- as I already noted -- would be to try and match at least some of it to the existing afternoon film. If impossible, then that is a big clue it belongs to the later show.

There are many examples of an AS/ES booking where Elvis makes no mention of an ES during the first performance.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:24 am

shame they didn't film any of these gigs another chance goes

what year did Astrodome get video screens built ?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 am

Ciscoking wrote:... and pointing at those doesn`t necessarily mean he introduced them..

Ciscoking, Elvis isn't really pointing in the pic, he looks to be attempting to hand the rodeo clown a glass bottle of his drinking water, but the video shows he had no takers. Based on Colonel Parker's reaction in the video (4:16 - 4:18 mark), Elvis may have doused him with a little water! :D

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:09 am

Scotty did an excellent research..thank you Scotty..in the end you hit the nail right on his head with every thing you pointed out. Fantastic !!!... ::rocks

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 am

Again, if someone can try to match the soundboard audio to the YouTube clip, the query will definitely be solved:

phpBB [video]

Elvis at the Astrodome, Houston, TX - Sunday, March 3, 1974
Footage sequences: afternoon entrance, afternoon show, evening exit, more afternoon show and Parker donkey trot, afternoon exit.

Assuming the import CD houses the ES, and assembling the AS from the 1974 fan report, this means Elvis closed out the Astrodome with a shorter set. I guess he was tired.

Elvis Presley
Houston Astrodome, Houston TX
Sunday, March 3, 1974 AS
C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman
Love Me
Sweet Caroline
Love Me Tender
Fever
Polk Salad Annie
Johnny B. Goode
Hound Dog