Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:09 pm

"The Last Stand" - saw it twice for the german censorship brough a cut version to the movie theatres first (22 seconds edited out due to violence). Then a week later they started showing the original R-Rated version. A friend of mine, who boycotts everything concerning censorship, went along with me to see it. I must say I really enjoyed it, although Arnie really got "ooooold". :wink:
A shame it didn't do well on the box office for most of the people who watched it, seemed to like it.

And now during my sickness I watched "Marnie", "Torn Curtain", "Topas", "Rope", "Frenzy" and later on "Rear Window".

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:27 am

I just saw Django Unchained.

I really liked the first 40 minutes of it and then i felt it dragged on and got very boring.

I didn't like it.

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Went to see diehard 5 last night,very cheesy but enjoyed it !!!

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 am

In '68, I remember watching two outstanding movies that changed modern day science-fiction films, '2001 A Space Odyssey' was the most famous out of the two, but 'Planet of the Apes' stands on its own ground and became a classic.

The original 'Planet of the Apes' is better than the 2001 remake imo.

Taylor tries to make sense of this "upside-down" world, he finally escapes from his captors with his mate Nova riding along the beach on horseback to the Forbidden Zone, once a paradise... Suddenly he spots something unusual in the distance... He remembers what Zaius told him, "You may not like what you find!" What he can see was not a rock but salt-stained metal... As he draws closer, the camera slowly draws back and up to reveal what must come as a terrible shock... and Taylor cries out..."You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 am

Payback - One of my favourite films, some very funny dialogue in it. Mel Gibson is brilliant as usual too.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 am

EPA4368 wrote:In '68, I remember watching two outstanding movies that changed modern day science-fiction films, '2001 A Space Odyssey' was the most famous out of the two, but 'Planet of the Apes' stands on its own ground and became a classic.

The original 'Planet of the Apes' is better than the 2001 remake imo.

Taylor tries to make sense of this "upside-down" world, he finally escapes from his captors with his mate Nova riding along the beach on horseback to the Forbidden Zone, once a paradise... Suddenly he spots something unusual in the distance... He remembers what Zaius told him, "You may not like what you find!" What he can see was not a rock but salt-stained metal... As he draws closer, the camera slowly draws back and up to reveal what must come as a terrible shock... and Taylor cries out..."You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"




The 1968 version of Planet of the Apes is the best version no doubt about that.but i kinda like tim burtons 2001 remake ! i thought helena bonham carter & Paul Giamatti where amazing in the movie and i loved burtons dark look(as with all his movies)worked well in the movie.i upgraded to the blu-ray last year and it looks stunning !!!

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:48 pm

flamingstar81 wrote:Payback - One of my favourite films, some very funny dialogue in it. Mel Gibson is brilliant as usual too.

Don't miss his new one, "Get The Gringo"!
When I watched it, the place was packed (it was a sneak preview) and everybody had a great time.
Although his acting kinda reminded me of his character in "Payback" from time to time, it was hilarious fun - and soooo cool!

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:00 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
flamingstar81 wrote:Payback - One of my favourite films, some very funny dialogue in it. Mel Gibson is brilliant as usual too.

Don't miss his new one, "Get The Gringo"!
When I watched it, the place was packed (it was a sneak preview) and everybody had a great time.
Although his acting kinda reminded me of his character in "Payback" from time to time, it was hilarious fun - and soooo cool!


Thanks luckyjackson1,
will do, I'll look out for that one :smt023

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
flamingstar81 wrote:Payback - One of my favourite films, some very funny dialogue in it. Mel Gibson is brilliant as usual too.

Don't miss his new one, "Get The Gringo"!
When I watched it, the place was packed (it was a sneak preview) and everybody had a great time.
Although his acting kinda reminded me of his character in "Payback" from time to time, it was hilarious fun - and soooo cool!




Payback is a fantastic movie :smt023 need to upgrade to blu-ray i hear the extras a great !!!

Re: last movie you watched

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Beasts of a Southern Wild. I thought it was way overated. To me it seemed the movie went nowhere.

Re: last movie you watched

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 pm

"God Bless America" from Bobcat Goldthwait. Wohoooo, what a pretty wild ride!

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Went to see Oz The Great and Powerful at the cinema in 3D last night it was awesome ! 10 out of 10 a must see.have always been a fan of the original and its finally great to see another oz movie to put along side it.the 3D effects are the best i have seen.

phpBB [video]

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 pm

rocknroller wrote:Went to see Oz The Great and Powerful at the cinema in 3D last night it was awesome ! 10 out of 10 a must see.have always been a fan of the original and its finally great to see another oz movie to put along side it.the 3D effects are the best i have seen.

phpBB [video]


Went to see it too last night but I thought somehow it was a kind of a letdown. The original "The Wizard Of Oz" is one of my all-time favorite movies and there probably lies the big problem for me.
First of all I didn't like Franco as the leading role, his constant grinning went on my nerves. Nobody really needed the cameos of Zach Braff and Bruce Campbell. Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis did a solid job, nothing more.
The movie had certain lenghts and some dialogues reminded me of a bad soap-opera.
Nevertheless I still kinda enjoyed it for the colours and the nice 3D effects - and I liked the porcelain girl :wink:
I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:12 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Went to see Oz The Great and Powerful at the cinema in 3D last night it was awesome ! 10 out of 10 a must see.have always been a fan of the original and its finally great to see another oz movie to put along side it.the 3D effects are the best i have seen.

phpBB [video]


Went to see it too last night but I thought somehow it was a kind of a letdown. The original "The Wizard Of Oz" is one of my all-time favorite movies and there probably lies the big problem for me.
First of all I didn't like Franco as the leading role, his constant grinning went on my nerves. Nobody really needed the cameos of Zach Braff and Bruce Campbell. Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis did a solid job, nothing more.
The movie had certain lenghts and some dialogues reminded me of a bad soap-opera.
Nevertheless I still kinda enjoyed it for the colours and the nice 3D effects - and I liked the porcelain girl :wink:
I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.



It know the movie wont be to everyones taste but as fan of the original movie too nothing will ever beat it but i did really like this movie very much.

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:04 pm

That's all right, rocknroller! :D

Just watched "A Good Day To Die Hard" last night, even though I was aware of the bad critics. And they proved right, it was bloody awful and a huge let-down for a "Die Hard" movie.

John Moore and Skip Woods f***ed this one up real bad. And not enough, there's probably a Director's Cut with additional twenty minutes on its way... :?

I'd give it 4 out of ten, just for the enjoyable (but totally overdone) action sequences. What a disappointment for the 25th anniversary of the "Die Hard"-series. :(

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:13 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:That's all right, rocknroller! :D

Just watched "A Good Day To Die Hard" last night, even though I was aware of the bad critics. And they proved right, it was bloody awful and a huge let-down for a "Die Hard" movie.

John Moore and Skip Woods f***ed this one up real bad. And not enough, there's probably a Director's Cut with additional twenty minutes on its way... :?

I'd give it 4 out of ten, just for the enjoyable (but totally overdone) action sequences. What a disappointment for the 25th anniversary of the "Die Hard"-series. :(



I enjoyed it for what it was another die hard for my collection but your right its not a great movie and its my least fav die hard by a long way.

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:58 pm

'Dark Knight Rises' on Blu-Ray. I haven't actually seen the first two in the series yet but sat and watched it with the family who had. Superb film. A few minor quibbles if you want to get picky but the cast and filming were superb. Anne Hathaway excelled as a pseudo 'Catwoman' (not referenced as such in the movie) despite pre-release concerns I'd read about. Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman can be found under superb, dependable, reliable, consistent etc in the dictionary, pick your own adjective. Tom Hardy did it for me. Why this guy is not top of the Hollywood call to list is beyond me. Joseph Gordon-Levittown is also worthy of mention, one to watch. All in all a great film.

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:56 am

Watched the new blu ray release of the horror film Christine tonight. Absolutely great transfer. The audio and picture quality is outstanding. Gonna try and watch the Criterion release of The Badlands with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek if I can stay awake.

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Oz
loved it from start to finish
thanks for the recomendation Pat

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:36 pm

keninlincs wrote:Oz
loved it from start to finish
thanks for the recomendation Pat



Your welcome ken ! glad you liked it mate !!!

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Mission Impossible 3, my favourite one in the series.

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 pm

I got to see The Paperboy last night, starring Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron and John Cusack. I ended the film by wondering how a film with so many wonderful performances could end up being anything but wonderful. Efron is truly a revelation, finally breaking away from his Disney-like just-a-pretty-face image - although, to be fair, he showed he could act in Me and Orson Welles from a few years back (and I'm rather fond of Charlie McCloud, soppy though the film is). Nicole Kidman also puts up a great performance, while Matthew McConaughey seems to play the same character he does in every film. Macy Gray is outstanding - so glad she can act better than she can sing.

Why this doesn't quite gel is a mystery. The film itself is set up as a mystery, but is more of a coming of age story about Efron's character, and yet it lurches in one direction and then another, ending up as neither a story about corruption, coming-of-age or murder. A series of great performances completely wasted in my opinion, and all due to what seems to be a lack of competency in the editing room.

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:37 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I got to see The Paperboy last night, starring Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron and John Cusack. I ended the film by wondering how a film with so many wonderful performances could end up being anything but wonderful. Efron is truly a revelation, finally breaking away from his Disney-like just-a-pretty-face image - although, to be fair, he showed he could act in Me and Orson Welles from a few years back (and I'm rather fond of Charlie McCloud, soppy though the film is). Nicole Kidman also puts up a great performance, while Matthew McConaughey seems to play the same character he does in every film. Macy Gray is outstanding - so glad she can act better than she can sing.

Why this doesn't quite gel is a mystery. The film itself is set up as a mystery, but is more of a coming of age story about Efron's character, and yet it lurches in one direction and then another, ending up as neither a story about corruption, coming-of-age or murder. A series of great performances completely wasted in my opinion, and all due to what seems to be a lack of competency in the editing room.



I've been waiting for someone else to mention this film. I absolutely loathed this film, I just found it very off.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:24 am

Seen both Hansel and Gretel & the croods at the cinema in 3D and both excellent.also seen The Guilt Trip it was ok, funny in parts.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:34 pm

rocknroller wrote:Seen both Hansel and Gretel & the croods at the cinema in 3D and both excellent.also seen The Guilt Trip it was ok, funny in parts.


I've been trying to swerve The Croods, but will have to see it at some point. Last week I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises and have watched it a few times since.