Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Mama Don't

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:56 am

By '73, if would have been great had Elvis gotten all of his gold standards out of the way with one massive 2 minute medley because they are an absolute bore to sit through.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:44 pm

midnightx wrote:By '73, if would have been great had Elvis gotten all of his gold standards out of the way with one massive 2 minute medley because they are an absolute bore to sit through.

Well, there you go, you have that freedom ?

You don't like it ?

Don't bore yourself with it, simple mathematics ...

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:45 pm

I have no problem with the Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' part of the medley. But it nosedives after that.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I liked the Rock medley from the Memphis live on stage in Memphis LP. But not the "Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin"' from Aloha.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 pm

just a different spin on this and maybe something to think about;

Even though I would have loved for Elvis to commit himself more to his greatest hits (full versions, not medleys) and taking into consideration certain songs he just loved to sing NOW ESPECIALLY, maybe a time factor with regards to the length of show had something to do with that decision, but I love hearing his full version of ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT... from THE LOST PERFORMANCES VIDEO... imagine if he sang all his hits like that...would have loved it, at least some he did and we have those to cherish :D

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Agreed. Are You Lonesome Tonight from Aprll 1972 shown in the Lost Performances (I think it is from Hampton Roads concert) is one of the best, I think even better than the 1969 live versions.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:23 pm

It's interesting to note that the 50 seconds oldies were considered a medley, even if technically they weren't as they had a beginning and an end, except teddy bear- don't be cruel. On the planned repertoire sheet for the November 72 tour they're all referred as "medley". From 1968 he had no interest in some of the oldies (his most famous) while up until the end, he always put reasonable care on others, such as lawdy miss clawdy, trying to get to you or one night.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Agreed. Are You Lonesome Tonight from Aprll 1972 shown in the Lost Performances (I think it is from Hampton Roads concert) is one of the best, I think even better than the 1969 live versions.

something very special about that performance for sure

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:06 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Agreed. Are You Lonesome Tonight from Aprll 1972 shown in the Lost Performances (I think it is from Hampton Roads concert) is one of the best, I think even better than the 1969 live versions.

Maybe it should have been used as the replacement for Johnny B Goode for the intro of On Tour.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 pm

midnightx wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Maybe it should have been used as the replacement for Johnny B Goode for the intro of On Tour.

and then again, maybe not.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 pm

ian wrote:
eligain wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It is worth remembering that artists of the 50s often presented their hits in medley form during the 1970s, especially if they were also still recording new material at that time. Bobby Darin certainly presented his rock n roll material in this form in his 70s shows, as did Neil Sedaka, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ricky Nelson (as mentioned) and others. What was different about Elvis in things like Teddy bear/Don't Be Cruel was not their fragmentary nature, but the lacklustre performance they received - something that I would argue didn't happen with the Memphis rock n roll medley.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Interesting. JLL has Jimmy' McCulloch from Wings on Guitar and Wayne Cochran of the CC Riders on guitar! Also, never could believe that Neil Sedaka is straight!

Rock medleys like these always make me think of "Up With People" kind of reviews that are paying homage to the 50's.

Maybe Elvis got the medley idea from Tom Jones who used to do a 50's rock medley in his act.

Thank-you for posting the great video's poormadpeter, and thank-you eligain for the info regarding Jimmy McCulloch (is that really him???) playing with Jerry Lee, what a smoking performance!!!!! 8) :smt006 8)

It sure looks like him.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:27 pm

frus75 wrote:It's interesting to note that the 50 seconds oldies were considered a medley, even if technically they weren't as they had a beginning and an end, except teddy bear- don't be cruel. On the planned repertoire sheet for the November 72 tour they're all referred as "medley". From 1968 he had no interest in some of the oldies (his most famous) while up until the end, he always put reasonable care on others, such as lawdy miss clawdy, trying to get to you or one night.

It's either in Aloha of MSG where he refers to a medley of his hits as well.

As I have said before it's quite clear that has more interest in those hits that made more sense as a man approaching middle age. Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel and Teddy Bear have lyrically no meaning to a man in his mid to late 30s. Trying to get To You, My baby Left Me, That's All Right etc, do make more sense in that context.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
frus75 wrote:It's interesting to note that the 50 seconds oldies were considered a medley, even if technically they weren't as they had a beginning and an end, except teddy bear- don't be cruel. On the planned repertoire sheet for the November 72 tour they're all referred as "medley". From 1968 he had no interest in some of the oldies (his most famous) while up until the end, he always put reasonable care on others, such as lawdy miss clawdy, trying to get to you or one night.

It's either in Aloha of MSG where he refers to a medley of his hits as well.

Yes, after singing "My Way" in the Aloha concert Elvis says, "I'd like to do a medley of some of my records for you, ladies and gentlemen", then doesn't do a medley. I always thought that was strange.

My Way
comments about doing a medley
Love Me
Johnny B. Goode
It's Over

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:57 pm

sweetangeline wrote:

+1

And I always liked the 74 Rock`roll medley 8) IMO

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:12 pm

midnightx wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

if it was your intention was to get a chuckle out of me, it worked :wink: I gave up on that thread a long time ago, I will wait for JBG in the next version whenever that may be

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 am

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:When Elvis began to not care about his classic early music, medleys became more and more prevalent. The one you describe took shape in 1973, when Emory Gordy, Jr. was the TCB Band's bass player.

Gordy took over with the first Presley tour of the year on April 22 in Phoenix, and stayed for the next five months, until the infamous closing gig at the Hilton on September 3. One of the reasons Gordy quit after just five months was because of the low performance standard of the Presley show, for example the shoving of classic rock songs into "medleys."

In a 1992 Musician interview Emory remembered:

The tempos were horrible. My big letdown was when we did a medley of "Don't Be Cruel," "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog"... Elvis did this whole karate thing while Tutt would do the drums and toms and all that.

Gordy was a world-class studio musician. He knew a thing or two about making great music.

Elvis was a world-class entertainer (musician). He knew a thing or two about making great music! 8)

So true!

Who can forget "Ito Eats," "Golden Coins," "The Love Machine," "Hey, Hey, Hey," "Love Song of the Year" and so many others?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:36 am

MaryAnn wrote:The "medley" has long been a respected vehicle for showcasing one's hits.

Where? In Las Vegas? Who has long respected them? Patrons of the Lawrence Welk Resort Theater?

When a performer strings major, classic hits together into a "medley" as Elvis did, it is a signal that they do not have interest in fully investing themselves to each chart-topping recording. They want to please the crowd by including them in the set, but any serious music fan feels short-changed. Emory Gordy, Jr. certainly felt that way, and he was not only a great musician but also a deep fan. He knew what Elvis had accomplished, and saw the bar drop significantly in the 1973 concerts.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:49 am

I think if Elvis had actually written his major hits he would've felt much differently about the way he performed them on stage. He would've had a personal bond with the songs from having an investment in the way they were created from scratch.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:04 am

Blue River wrote:I think if Elvis had actually written his major hits he would've felt much differently about the way he performed them on stage. He would've had a personal bond with the songs from having an investment in the way they were created from scratch.

thought about this scenario, but I can`t agree. I tend to think that elvis had a very strong bond with a lot of those 50`s hits, especially the ones where he truly made them his own!!

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 am

sweetangeline wrote:
Blue River wrote:I think if Elvis had actually written his major hits he would've felt much differently about the way he performed them on stage. He would've had a personal bond with the songs from having an investment in the way they were created from scratch.

I tend to think that elvis had a very strong bond with a lot of those 50`s hits, especially the ones where he truly made them his own!!

:shock: What the heck are you talking about?!

With the 1-minute zip-throughs and fast-as-lightening medleys Elvis showed that he didn't have a very strong bond with a lot of those 50's hits!
In the 1950's he practically made all those hits "his own", but only bothered to perform a handful of them properly in the 1970's.

Geeezz... even your boy, drjohncarpenter, sees it that way, too. How can you, of all people, go against what he says?!

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:The "medley" has long been a respected vehicle for showcasing one's hits.

Where? In Las Vegas? Who has long respected them? Patrons of the Lawrence Welk Resort Theater?

When a performer strings major, classic hits together into a "medley" as Elvis did, it is a signal that they do not have interest in fully investing themselves to each chart-topping recording. They want to please the crowd by including them in the set, but any serious music fan feels short-changed. Emory Gordy, Jr. certainly felt that way, and he was not only a great musician but also a deep fan. He knew what Elvis had accomplished, and saw the bar drop significantly in the 1973 concerts.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:07 am

even if he'd written them i think he'd still get tired of them.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:22 am

brian wrote:

even if he'd written them i think he'd still get tired of them.

We'll never know for sure. However, I think if he'd written songs like "In The Ghetto" & "Kentucky Rain" in 1969, he would've been more than happy and proud to sing them on stage throughout the 70's until the end of his career.

Strange how he dropped those from his setlist after 1970!
Last edited by Blue River on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

A LOT of Elvis' "crowd" were, and still are, original fans that loved (and bought) his original hits -- you know, the ones that put him on the map -- and onto the charts. I'm not sure they ever considered themselves "serious music fans."

It is sad that Elvis didn't invest more into these "crowd pleasers." He might have pleased even more of the audience -- even the serious music fans -- if he had. There was plenty of room for more investing, and not just on the medleys.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:30 am

Blue River wrote: What the heck are you talking about?!

With the 1-minute zip-throughs and fast-as-lightening medleys Elvis showed that he didn't have a very strong bond with a lot of those 50's hits!
In the 1950's he practically made all those hits "his own", but only bothered to perform a handful of them properly in the 1970's.

Geeezz... even your boy, drjohncarpenter, sees it that way, too. How can you, of all people, go against what he says?!

obviously I have to be a little more clearer with you than I do with others so I will make it very simple this time, but remember this is just for you

I don`t think Elvis not writing it, has anything to smt185 do with it

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:06 am

sweetangeline wrote: I tend to think that elvis had a very strong bond with a lot of those 50`s hits, especially the ones where he truly made them his own!!

What's obvious is that you have a hard time paying attention and focusing, dear. If you'll go back and read the posts in order you'll see that I was directly addressing the following quote of yours - "I tend to think that elvis had a very strong bond with a lot of those 50`s hits, especially the ones where he truly made them his own!!"

I then replied (as you can see above) ...

Now you know.