Off Topic Messages

The History of Rock 'n' Roll in Ottawa

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:12 am

I want to share a story with you from Ottawa Citizen: OTTAWA ā€” The City of Ottawa has put out a call for tickets, posters, T-shirts and more for an exhibit on the history of rock ā€˜nā€™ roll in Ottawa, starting with the day that Elvis came to town in 1957. (See the full text at http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainm ... story.html

Re: The History of Rock 'n' Roll in Ottawa

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:16 am

Hopefully a lot of great Elvis item's will be submitted!!! 8)

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Everyone in town seems to have a story about when Elvis was here, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Many others performed in Ottawa in the 50's and 60's - Fats Domino, The Who...Springsteen (1975 at the 2,000 seat National Arts Centre)...man to have been at that show!

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:46 pm

paulsweeney wrote:Everyone in town seems to have a story about when Elvis was here, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Many others performed in Ottawa in the 50's and 60's - Fats Domino, The Who...Springsteen (1975 at the 2,000 seat National Arts Centre)...man to have been at that show!

I would have much more wanted to see Fat's Domino, and I did at Expo with Jerry Lee Lewis!!!!! 8)

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:50 pm

ian wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:Everyone in town seems to have a story about when Elvis was here, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Many others performed in Ottawa in the 50's and 60's - Fats Domino, The Who...Springsteen (1975 at the 2,000 seat National Arts Centre)...man to have been at that show!

I would have much more wanted to see Fat's Domino, and I did at Expo with Jerry Lee Lewis!!!!! 8)

Then you should expand your horizons and see the Boss one day

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:57 pm

paulsweeney wrote:
ian wrote:

Then you should expand your horizons and see the Boss one day

I've just never got excited by "The Boss", I mean when you've experienced the greatness and magic of Elvis, it's just impossible to top!!!!! 8) And as a kid I loved The Beatles also, and throughout my life I've listened to countless acts that are really great and I have enjoyed a great deal!! I've listened to Springsteen and he is talented, but I've just never saw him as anything more than an entertainer that puts on a show, maybe he performs long shows and all, but to me he just doesn't have that "it" factor that turns my crank!! Besides the untouchable greatest entertainer ever, the others that have had any kind of impact on me are, Paul McCartney, Jerry Lee Lewis and Dean Martin (of course John and George have their awesome solo stuff and Ringo)and I've liked Elton John (saw in 1984) and The Rolling Stones (except I don't like Micks stage movements, as well as Rod Stewart's, although I like their singing!) and all sorts of different artists from Linda Ronstadt to Tom Jones (I loved his opening of It's not Unusual from his show, and I remember one time watching with my Mom, I was so excited watching that with her at the time!) and countless entertainers from all ages and decades of music,rock,pop,country,new wave,punk,easy listening,classical,jazz,oh heck there are so many I've appreciated and liked!!!!! How about in the 80's, there was Streetheart, Aldo Nova, Billy Squire, Foreigner ...... And I love Billy Idol!!!!! Oh and Buddy Holly, Fats, Dave Clark 5, Micheal and Jackson 5 and I could write down hundreds more, but I need to sleep!!!!! I wrote this fairly quickly, so I know I'm not saying everything that I'd like. Oh, I really loved the Partridge Family show and the music and David Cassidy is still doing great and the Monkees were good, Neil Diamond and AC DC really rock, oh and there are hundreds more??!!!!!...... 8)

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:16 am

Once you see the Boss you"ll understand. And if not... I tried ;-)