Off Topic Messages

James Herbert

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:16 am

Very sad news today about horror author James Herbert passing away at the relatively young age of 69. While I didn't always like the books of his that I read, I found him to be one of the most literate of the popular writers out there today, and his imagination knew no boundaries. Oddly, it's often the earlier novels that I never really took to - perhaps because as a teenager I was more interested in recent ones, perhaps I just have an aversion to rats! The Secret of Crickley Hall has to be be one of the best traditional ghost stories to have been written in years, and was perfect reading over Christmas a few years back when it came out - shame the TV adaptation was so stupidly dull and un-spooky. And books like "Once" showed that he wasn't afraid to take risks either. One of the saddest things about his passing is that it may mean he is remembered in the short term as the author of "Ash", his book from last year and certainly the worst I have read - and going by reviews, most of his other fans too.

Re: James Herbert

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm

poormadpeter

Clearly no one gives a 'rats'
about this. I do though. The loss of any great writer is indeed a great loss. R.I.P.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:29 pm

I enjoyed his earlier works,RIP

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:17 pm

Never heard of this writer.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Google is your friend. :D

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 am

Delboy wrote:Google is your friend. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21870413

54 million copies of his books, sold!

He was huge! I guess, kind of like our Stephen King. (Correct me, if that's off the mark.)

Google is a good friend! (If I read horror, I'd get one of his books now. I can't read horror, though.)

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 pm

The Survivor and Fluke were 2 of my favorite books of his

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:59 pm

If someone is supposed to be famous I'd not need google to find out who he/she is.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm reading The Secret Of Crickley Hall. Dang, what a page-turner! I've never read any of Mr. Herbert's other books, but what a good writer he was.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:26 pm

I've read most of his books, most of them are very good,I think he was only big in the UK?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I'm reading The Secret Of Crickley Hall. Dang, what a page-turner! I've never read any of Mr. Herbert's other books, but what a good writer he was.

Crickley Hall was given to me as a present a few Christmas's ago - perfect winter reading! In a similar vein are Haunted and Ghosts of Sleath - but just avoid the sequel to both those books, Ash. It's an awful piece of trash (and in rather bad taste too).