Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: A Star Is Born

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:59 pm

@ Pink&Black, welcome to FECC. I hope you will post often. :)

Just one point of clarification... all of the words quoted in your post (above) are ekenee's. Somehow, the second statement (starting with "Yep") got attributed to me when, in fact, the statement is also ekenee's.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:21 pm

@MaryAnn, I'm sorry bout that, I still have to figure out this quoting thing :?

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Pink&Black wrote:@MaryAnn, I'm sorry bout that, I still have to figure out this quoting thing :?

No problem, Pink&Black. Thanks for responding.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Streisand indeed was the bigger star in 1975.

If Elvis had done the film, the gross would have been higher. Even at Streisand's offer, this film would have been his biggest paycheck for a film ever. He could have gotten a better deal with realistic negotiations but the Colonel purposefully overreached. As someone else said, the boost this would have given his career is incalculable.

It certainly is not a certainty that Elvis was up to the challenge. I wish he had tried though.

Ekenee, you seriously can't see how soul crushing walking away from this legitimate offer could have been? If he does this project, there likely never is a bodyguard book.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 pm

stevelecher wrote:you seriously can't see how soul crushing walking away from this legitimate offer could have been? If he does this project, there likely never is a bodyguard book.

I don't know about that.

Drug addiction is harder to beat than just getting a movie offer.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Pink&Black wrote:
ekenee wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
ekenee wrote:Read the subject in Guralnick's book, The rise and fall of Elvis Presley.

Yep. That's my point. Elvis wasn't dwelling on this like he was about the bodyguard book so I don't think this lost movie
really caused him to spiral.

I don't think this missed opportunity was the sole cause of his decline. But had Elvis made this movie, it would have brought him into contact with people outside his small world, someone might have told him it was not okay for a manager to earn 50% of what his client earns......It would have given him a new perspective on things, not to mention what it could have done for his self-confidence

I don't know about that.

No one knew that Colonel Parker got 50% at the time and Elvis kept to himself and never did discuss it with other people.

He never even asked his friends in showbiz for advice about his career.

You are assuming Elvis and Streisand would have become great friends and he would share with her private business details of his life.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 pm

I think it was pretty well known the Colonel got 50%. I remember reading that while EP was alive. What's even more shocking, if that's possible, are all the side deals that actually had the manager making more than his client. Really shameful.

Brian, of course throughout the discussion we have to account for the fact that drug addiction may have prevented him from being able to do the job at all. I would like to think in March 1975, with a great project to work on, he might have pulled it off.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:22 pm

stevelecher wrote:I think it was pretty well known the Colonel got 50%. I remember reading that while EP was alive. What's even more shocking, if that's possible, are all the side deals that actually had the manager making more than his client. Really shameful. .

It wasn't well known.

All of that and the details about Colonel Parker's side deals with RCA came out in the court case against him in the early 1980s.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 pm

brian wrote:
Pink&Black wrote:
ekenee wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
ekenee wrote:Read the subject in Guralnick's book, The rise and fall of Elvis Presley.

Yep. That's my point. Elvis wasn't dwelling on this like he was about the bodyguard book so I don't think this lost movie

I don't think this missed opportunity was the sole cause of his decline. But had Elvis made this movie, it would have brought him into contact with people outside his small world, someone might have told him it was not okay for a manager to earn 50% of what his client earns......It would have given him a new perspective on things, not to mention what it could have done for his self-confidence

I don't know about that.

No one knew that Colonel Parker got 50% at the time and Elvis kept to himself and never did discuss it with other people.

You are assuming Elvis and Streisand would have become great friends and he would share with her private business details of his life.

Marty Lacker has stated that most likely one of the main reasons the Colonel turned down the project is that he didn't want Elvis to find out better management styles and practices through Peters and Streisand.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:29 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
Pink&Black wrote:
ekenee wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:

I don't know about that.

Marty Lacker has stated that most likely one of the main reasons the Colonel turned down the project is that he didn't want Elvis to find out better management styles and practices through Peters and Streisand.

Again Mr.Lacker is assuming that Streisand and Elvis would have become good enough friends for him to reveal his private matters to her.

He is making a big assumption that Elvis would have also asked for her advice on the matter.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:33 pm

stevelecher wrote:I think it was pretty well known the Colonel got 50%. I remember reading that while EP was alive. What's even more shocking, if that's possible, are all the side deals that actually had the manager making more than his client. Really shameful.

Brian, of course throughout the discussion we have to account for the fact that drug addiction may have prevented him from being able to do the job at all. I would like to think in March 1975, with a great project to work on, he might have pulled it off.

I don't know about it being known about the 50% while he was alive. I was very tuned into everything Elvis from 72 on and I remember only hearing about this after he died in the Colonel's court case.

1975 was probably the last time he could have pulled it off. This offer came at a crucial time in his life and career. He was bad off enough that he desperately needed it and just well enough to probably pull it off. After 75, no way.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:43 pm

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
Pink&Black wrote:
ekenee wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:

I don't know about that.

Again Mr.Lacker is assuming that Streisand and Elvis would have become good enough friends for him to reveal his private matters to her.

He is making a big assumption that Elvis would have also asked for her advice on the matter.

I don't think he was worried about Streisand, he was worried about Peters! And without any outright talk about business and management, Elvis would have seen how Streisand was taken care of. I'm sure Peters would have loved to have signed Elvis and may have made a play for him. When was the Colonel supposedly shopping around Elvis's contract? Was it around this time?

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Hell, he got 50% in some areas as early as 1967 and I sure heard that through those years. Also, I think people in the entertainment business probably had some knowledge of Elvis' unusual arrangement with Parker. I wonder if his attorney, Mr. Hookstratton, ever talked to him about business. Even with Elvis, contracts weren't made in a vacuum.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm

No. I think it was in April 1977.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:Read the subject in Guralnick's book, The rise and fall of Elvis Presley.

I don't think he was worried about Streisand, he was worried about Peters! And without any outright talk about business and management, Elvis would have seen how Streisand was taken care of. I'm sure Peters would have loved to have signed Elvis and may have made a play for him. When was the Colonel supposedly shopping around Elvis's contract? Was it around this time?
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Jon Peters wasn't Streisand's manager she was managed by someone else.

Jon Peters knew nothing about the business he was being taught how to be a film producer by Streisand during this period.

Jon Peters got his start as a film producer by working with Streisand on a Star is Born and then later The Main Event.

Colonel Parker denied ever shopping Elvis' contract.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 pm

So, if Peters knew nothing about producing a movie, he really did an amazing job with "A Star is Born" judging only of his commercial box office and Oscar rewards.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:01 pm

stevelecher wrote:Hell, he got 50% in some areas as early as 1967 and I sure heard that through those years. Also, I think people in the entertainment business probably had some knowledge of Elvis' unusual arrangement with Parker. I wonder if his attorney, Mr. Hookstratton, ever talked to him about business. Even with Elvis, contracts weren't made in a vacuum.

The thing is no one around Elvis that would have known didn't even try to wise Elvis up about it.

If there were others outside his inner circle that found out about it the reason they wouldn't talk to Elvis about it was because it wasn't their business.

It was not widely known that Parker got what he got and when it came out a lot of people were shocked.

Elvis shouldn't have allowed Parker 50% in the first place.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:03 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:So, if Peters knew nothing about producing a movie, he really did an amazing job with "A Star is Born" judging only of his commercial box office and Oscar rewards.

As i said that was his first time being involved with that.

Streisand actually took care of most of it.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Well of course the Colonel denied shopping his contract but it was reported at the time.

Peters was called her manager at the time. He was often referred to as her Hairdresser/Manager/Lover. I have a Photoplay magazine from 1976 (because Elvis was in it) that has articles about the making of "A Star I Born" and it calls Peters Streisand's Svengali and a hippie Colonel Parker. I remember the article said he was trying to remake Streisand into a more modern rock star.

Either way, even if Peters was just her flunky at the time, the Colonel did not want Elvis exposed to possible greener pastures and he probably would have never let Elvis work with anyone of her stature even if the money and the billing was right.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 pm

brian wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Hell, he got 50% in some areas as early as 1967 and I sure heard that through those years. Also, I think people in the entertainment business probably had some knowledge of Elvis' unusual arrangement with Parker. I wonder if his attorney, Mr. Hookstratton, ever talked to him about business. Even with Elvis, contracts weren't made in a vacuum.

The thing is no one around Elvis that would have known didn't even try to wise Elvis up about it.

If there were others outside his inner circle that found out about it the reason they wouldn't talk to Elvis about it was because it wasn't their business.

It was not widely known that Parker got what he got and when it came out a lot of people were shocked.

Elvis shouldn't have allowed Parker 50% in the first place.

Marty has said he was constantly trying to wise Elvis up about it. Maybe not about the 50% deal since he might not have known about it but he says he was constantly telling Elvis he needed to get rid of Parker and get new, young, fresh management. He also tried to get Elvis to hire a real financial adviser instead of relying on his father to handle his money.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 pm

eligain wrote:Well of course the Colonel denied shopping his contract but it was reported at the time.

Peters was called her manager at the time. He was often referred to as her Hairdresser/Manager/Lover. I have a Photoplay magazine from 1976 (because Elvis was in it) that has articles about the making of "A Star I Born" and it calls Peters Streisand's Svengali and a hippie Colonel Parker. I remember the article said he was trying to remake Streisand into a more modern rock star..

He was her boyfriend and he might of been trying to be her Svengali but Streisand was managed by someone else.

Martin Erlichman was Streisand's manager and i believe still is.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I was listening to BIG BOSS MAN FTD last night, where he introduces Barbra at his show. It says on the package that this show is from March 30. Is this the evening we believe Babs made her pitch to Elvis, after that show? Someone wrote about it being March 28. Did she come on a couple different nights to see him?

The introduction is very warm and sincere and how about that intro of Trish Stewart, the soap actress? He claimed a friendship with her. Elvis knew, and was friendly with, more entertainment people than we know about.
Last edited by stevelecher on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:16 pm

stevelecher wrote:I was listening to BIG BOSS MAN FTD last night, where he introduces Barbra at his show. It says on the package that this show is from March 30. Is this the evening we believe Babs made her pitch to Elvis, after that show? Someone wrote abutt being March 28. Did she come on a couple different nights to see him?

The introduction is very warm and sincere and how about that intro of Trish Stewart, the soap actress? He claimed a friendship with her. Elvis knew, and was friendly with, more entertainment people than we know about.

Both Guralnick (Careless Love, pg. 563) and Guralnick/Jorgensen (Day by Day, pg. 346) cite Friday, March 28 as the date Streisand and Peters attended the midnight show, after which they met with Elvis.

No idea if she attended the show on multiple nights.

EDIT to add: Jerry Schilling (Me and a Guy, pg. 289) says it took place "On the next-to-last night of the March '75 Hilton run..." "Day by Day" has the final night as Tuesday, April 1. hmmmm

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Well, we have a show, March 30, according to FTD, where he introduces her and even says to the audience that he'll be visiting with her after the show. I've always thought it was a pretty good chance this show is the one she attended before meeting with him about the project.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41 pm

stevelecher wrote:Well, we have a show, March 30, according to FTD, where he introduces her and even says to the audience that he'll be visiting with her after the show. I've always thought it was a pretty good chance this show is the one she attended before meeting with him about the project.

Sounds right. Between FTD and Jerry Shilling's detailed account, it seems very likely that the meeting took place after the March 30th show.

I did a little checking to get some perspective on what Barbra was up to during this time period. She was one very busy lady in March 1975!

Interview with Dick Cavett, March 9, 1975:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_A3usucTeM

Accepting the award for “Favorite Motion Picture Actress,” at the First Annual People’s Choice Awards, March 10, 1975:
http://search.peopleschoice.com/v/26949336/and-the-1st-annual-favorite-motion-picture-actress-people-s-choice-is-barbra-streisand.htm?

On the cover of People magazine with James Caan, March 10, 1975 issue:
http://www.people.com/people/archive/issue/0,,7566750310,00.html

“Funny Lady,” starring Barbra, James Caan, and Omar Sharif, is released on March 15, 1975:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073026/