Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Elvis (Costello) in Nashville

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:28 am

I rediscovered this wonderful "Southbank Show" documentary tonight which focuses on the making of Elvis Costello's C&W LP, "Almost Blue".

This was where I first discovered the beauty of country music way back in 1981.

Costello's closing comments about the romance and self-destructive nature of C&W are compelling.

phpBB [video]

Re: Elvis (Costello) in Nashville

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 am

Nice clip. You must have purchased Costello album #6 back in 1981.

Almost Blue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Blue

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 am

Indeed, and it was several years later that I made this connection ...

Midnight_blue.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:15 am

Yes, a nice homage!

KennyBurrell-MidnightBlue.jpg

Almost_Blue_-_Elvis_Costello.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:17 am

Ah, the classics ...

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:16 pm

When that album was announced I drove my local record shop owner mad, by going in every day to ask if it had come in. One day I asked the usual question, not really expecting that I'd get a positive reply, and he reached under the counter and handed me not just the regular LP, but also a promo copy with spoken introductions between tracks and a numbered and signed front cover. I'll never forget that.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 pm

The Pirate wrote:When that album was announced I drove my local record shop owner mad, by going in every day to ask if it had come in. One day I asked the usual question, not really expecting that I'd get a positive reply, and he reached under the counter and handed me not just the regular LP, but also a promo copy with spoken introductions between tracks and a numbered and signed front cover. I'll never forget that.

Now THAT'S a cool record shop owner.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:30 am

I need to get this album.

Saw Costello at Hyde Park in 2010. It was a scorcher and he played a country tinged set.

They had the Germany v England World Cup game playing on some of the big screens....Lampard's goal that wasn't given happened during his performance. Great gig, terrible referee.

Crosby, Stills and Nash also played a tremendous set that day and Paul McCartney was legendary.

Despite the footie, not a bad day really! What an accumulation of talent.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The Pirate wrote:When that album was announced I drove my local record shop owner mad, by going in every day to ask if it had come in. One day I asked the usual question, not really expecting that I'd get a positive reply, and he reached under the counter and handed me not just the regular LP, but also a promo copy with spoken introductions between tracks and a numbered and signed front cover. I'll never forget that.

Now THAT'S a cool record shop owner.

He was. Very. When Costello did the same thing with his Imperial Bedroom album (this time the promo was a double) the shop had closed. The guy who owned the shop up the road got one free copy for every ten regular LPs he ordered in, and sold them for a fiver each. I've got two.