Off Topic Messages

Re: If elvis is your #1 singer, who is your #2 ?

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Jerry Lee Lewis for a solo artist.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
FVH wrote:My #1 singer will always be John Farnham. Unless an extraordinarily good singer comes along. But It's highly unlikely to me that someone could ever top him.
I'm not sure if I'd be able to squeeze Elvis near my top 5.
And I agree with the doc - if he's not "ironic" again; Celine is totally incredible.

Celine is incredible but Elvis isn't in your top five?

Do mine ears deceive me?

I'm a big fan, or else I wouldn't be here. Elvis and his career fascinates me on a level that exseeds most of my other interests, and I have all his records plus hundreds of bootlegs. But yet he's not my #1 singer. I've come to realize that there are other singers who give me more, and touch me in other and better ways. Elvis was too uneven for me; there are too many times where you as a listener realize that he doesn't care. To me, he was at his ultimate peak vocally in the period 1960-62. A more pleasant voice than that has never been heard by me.
I do however like very different things. For example, the raw and seemingly endlessly powerful voice of the tiny Ronnie James Dio impresses me immensely - but that's just about as far from Elvis as you get. And so on :)

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:57 pm

FVH wrote:
FVH wrote:My #1 singer will always be John Farnham. Unless an extraordinarily good singer comes along. But It's highly unlikely to me that someone could ever top him.
And I agree with the doc - if he's not "ironic" again; Celine is totally incredible.

Do mine ears deceive me?

I'm a big fan, or else I wouldn't be here. Elvis and his career fascinates me on a level that exseeds most of my other interests, and I have all his records plus hundreds of bootlegs. But yet he's not my #1 singer. I've come to realize that there are other singers who give me more, and touch me in other and better ways. Elvis was too uneven for me; there are too many times where you as a listener realize that he doesn't care. To me, he was at his ultimate peak vocally in the period 1960-62. A more pleasant voice than that has never been heard by me.
I do however like very different things. For example, the raw and seemingly endlessly powerful voice of the tiny Ronnie James Dio impresses me immensely - but that's just about as far from Elvis as you get. And so on :)

I understand what you say but from all the singers/artists I've listened to NOT EVEN ONE touched my soul deep within than Elvis Presley's voice did.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
FVH wrote:

Do mine ears deceive me?

I understand what you say but from all the singers/artists I've listened to NOT EVEN ONE touched my soul deep within than Elvis Presley's voice did.

I understand that very well, and I'm happy for you. But we're all different, and we get touched by different things. That's why there's room for so many singers. :)

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 pm

[quote="TCB-FAN"]Jimmy "The Masked F**king Orion Clown" Ellis.....and it's only because of one song he recorded.

Image[/quote

....and the name of that song is?

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm

elvisbot wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:Jimmy "The Masked F**king Orion Clown" Ellis.....and it's only because of one song he recorded.

Image[/quote

....and the name of that song is?

The above LP title should give you a hint. :wink:

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:56 pm

well, i'm kind of an Orion fan and then again.....a lot of his songs are not that good...and "Feelings"happens to be one of them.
Some of the songs left off of his original "Reborn" album seems to be the best of the lot.
These outtakes are featured on the Orion Bear Family boxset "Who was that masked man?"
Why they were dropped from the "Reborn" album is anyone's guess.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

:smt083

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Well... it's impossible to say. Sometimes it's Jackson Browne, then it's Scott Walker, Willy DeVille, Jimmy Reed or Sam Cooke. But if I nail it down to one guy, I'll have to say Merle Haggard. Even today, in his 70s, a dedicated, lifelong weed smoker and (hopefully former) lungcancer patient, he's the greatest.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Tom Jones

Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:18 am

Sometimes it is Alan Jackson, sometimes Johnny Cash, but most times it is Paul McCartney (solo and Wings)

Patrick

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:08 am

That's almost "not fair." Sam Cooke would be the one, but the star/singer closest to my heart outside of Elvis is Michael Jackson. He was a marvelous singer, by the way. But I have to give props to Sam Cooke.

rjm

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Celine Dion. She is just ... so good.

HA! Good stuff, Doc! That is FUNNY!!

I get it! You're a hip guy who likes Elvis AND The Sex Pistols AND Johnny Cash. You have eclectic taste in music and you're hip and Celine Dion SUCKS! You were being sarcastic! That's funny stuff!

Of course it took me awhile to get it because the joke is so 1999!

So I guess I need to help you out AGAIN! (Your sloppiness is starting to worry me! Remember when I had to help you out with that Robertson/Scorcese "roomies" thing? :wink: )

Anyway, since it's 2013 you were supposed to say Justin Bieber, silly!

Get it? Because Justin Bieber SUCKS! (Insert you favorite Charlie Hodge laugh here.)

If it were 1979 you would say, "Barry Manilow. He is just ... So good."
If it were 1989 you would say, "Michael Bolton. He is just ... So good." (Kenny G works pretty well here, too!)
If it were 1999 you would say, "Celine Dion. She is just ... So good."
Now it's 2013 so you were supposed to say, "Justin Bieber. He is just ... So good."

And with this kind of HILARIOUS sarcastic humor you totally enhance your street cred!

So you were pretty darn close. A good effort!

You da MAN, Doc! :wink:

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:37 am

Matthew Bellamy.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:57 pm

I dont think I could name a "second", there is certainly a number one, after that a huge number of artists from many different musical arenas I like and admire.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Bobby Darin

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:44 am

Sir Cliff Richard.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 am

At the moment, it's a tie between Shakin' Stevens, Ronnie McDowell, Demis Roussos and Jimmy "Orion" Ellis... and I'm not kidding.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Jerry Samuel aka Napoleon XIV

phpBB [video]

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Hmmmm.....John Lennon,Michael Jackson or Bruce Springsteen.....today it`s JL :)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:41 pm

After elvis there is too many singers i love to say who is number 2! what i write today will change tomorrow !!!

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:15 am

Depends on my mood really. If I want some cool rock sounds, I'm likely to put on some Bruce (just as likely to watch a live show of his actually). If I want to relax, Eva Cassidy is never a bad choice.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:56 pm

Bruce Springsteen!