Off Topic Messages

Re: Sorry just venting

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 am

So sorry for you......hope you are lucky to get another work soon. I know how you feel hurt after so many years.....My work during the last 32 years are also cutting down and I`m just waiting for the word to be spoken soon. I don`t know yet what my future will be, but my health has not been the best the last few years, so honestly I do expect the worst....only hoping for the best.

All the best for you
TLC
Elvisa

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 am

Thanks everyone for your understanding and words of hope.I was numb for quite a few days.It will be a week tomorrow since I lost my job.really it was a career more than a job.I've put in more apps and resumes in the past week than I ever have in my life.I went and filed for unemployment, first time I ever had to do that! We've got enough savings to get us thru for at least 6 months and then after that, we'll be in trouble if nothing comes along. We'll get a little behind in some bills, but hoping the unemployment will help without that happening. I did get one call today from a possible job in the medical field, so hopefully they will set me up for an interview.The call was letting me know they recieved my resume and was i interested? I sure was! So maybe keeping the faith will get me through this! I will update you all when I have good news. Thanks again for all your faith and inspiration! ::rocks

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:58 am

I wish you the best.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Good luck!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:11 am

Just read this and want to send along my good thoughts to you. Many on here have said it very well- keep your head up and into the game of getting back out there when the time feels right to you.

I lost my job in 2008 at 54 years of age. I felt much like you do right now. I had been with the company 15 years and my job was one of those that wasn't available elsewhere much in my area. After securing a job I suffered a medical issue that sidelined me for two years additional, causing me to lose that opportunity. In that time I re evaluated my age, experience and the "tools" in my personal toolbox of life skills. I wound up creating a business that afforded me the freedom to do what I love, get paid for it and make a difference in others lives almost daily. I love my work these days and do not miss the old one at all.

Stay positive and remember - it is true that a new door will open for you. when it does go through it and start a new happy chapter for yourself.

Rooting for you my friend.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:29 am

Greybeard wrote:Just read this and want to send along my good thoughts to you. Many on here have said it very well- keep your head up and into the game of getting back out there when the time feels right to you.

I lost my job in 2008 at 54 years of age. I felt much like you do right now. I had been with the company 15 years and my job was one of those that wasn't available elsewhere much in my area. After securing a job I suffered a medical issue that sidelined me for two years additional, causing me to lose that opportunity. In that time I re evaluated my age, experience and the "tools" in my personal toolbox of life skills. I wound up creating a business that afforded me the freedom to do what I love, get paid for it and make a difference in others lives almost daily. I love my work these days and do not miss the old one at all.

Stay positive and remember - it is true that a new door will open for you. when it does go through it and start a new happy chapter for yourself.

Rooting for you my friend.

Thank you Greybeard. Still searching.Nothing yet.Haven't givin up hope yet.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:49 am

Well, still no luck with getting back into the work force. Recieved my first unemployment check yesterday and still hunting and applying for every position I can find.This economy is hurting alot of people and really, I see no hope in sight.My daughter has been searching for quite a while with no luck either.She was hoping to move back out on her own by spring, but don't think that's going to happen either. Quite a few people I know have been layed off or lost jobs out of the blue after working for decades.It's a very scary time. I am keeping positive so hopefully I will have good news to share in the future. We may have to cut a few things off for a while, like cable and internet, so with any luck, they won't be off long.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 pm

So sad to hear. My brother, who turns 52 the week after next, just lost his job (again) last Friday, after giving it all in that company for the past two years. Unfortunately he always worked under a temporary contract so that's why they could "let him go" after that time span. Unfortunately he's showing first signs of depression, too (I've had it before last year and still battling with it) so it's not a very optimistic perspective. I might lose my job too real soon (probably latest by October 2014).

But good luck and I sincerely wish you all the best in finding something new! :)

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:50 am

Thanks for all your kind words my friends.This will be my last post for a while.Tomorrow our internet,cable package is getting turned off for a while as well as a few other things. More important to keep the heat and electric paid and put gas in the car and have some food. We've done some cost cutting after talking it over, my husband and I, and with too much out-go and not enough in-come we've had to make some cuts.I won't be gone forever,maybe a few months. Hopefully in that time we can get caught up and get back on track and a job will will come calling.I wrote in one of my early posts how the Elvis song "Let's be Friends" always got me thru some hard times.You can bet I've been playing that song ALOT lately.Luckly,our house is paid for and property tax is not due until September, just paid the water bill and it's not due again until May, so there are people in alot worse circumstances than we are. My husband has 6 or 7 friends who have been thrown out of work lately, there have been more lay offs at my old job in the time i have been gone from there. What a terrible economy and it just does not look like it will get any better. :( So take care everybody and i want you all to know how much I've enjoyed reading your posts, seeing the pictures you've shared, reading some of the funny comments and posts and enjoyed all your knowledge of all things Elvis! There are too many to shout out my thanks to here, but I Love you all and it's been enjoyable being a part of the Elvis world on here!! The hard times won't last forever.. :smt006

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:32 am

You can connect from the public library or places with free wifi every so often.

The 'net can help you find a new position. Someone mentioned LinkedIn. And there are job sites. It's important to have your resume online and also important to check your email regularly. That's how they hire nowadays, mostly.

Keep your options open and keep positive! I look forward to good news soon. It's not been that long.

All my best wishes and prayers,
Robin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Maybe I missed something in this post but if someone is on permanent lay-off and has worked at the company for 12 years, aren't they entitled to severance? Also, weren't you part of a union if you worked in a hospital?
I'm assuming you're from the U.S. but I don't know for sure... here in Canada there are labor laws that speak to "firing" vs. "permanent lay-off"... I have to believe a company can't permanently lay you off without some sort of compensation...

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 am

elvis-fan wrote:Maybe I missed something in this post but if someone is on permanent lay-off and has worked at the company for 12 years, aren't they entitled to severance? Also, weren't you part of a union if you worked in a hospital?
I'm assuming you're from the U.S. but I don't know for sure... here in Canada there are labor laws that speak to "firing" vs. "permanent lay-off"... I have to believe a company can't permanently lay you off without some sort of compensation...

Some people in USA don't have contracts.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:26 am

I have been laid off three times in the past 18 months alone, so I know how you feel.

Keep your chin up, don't let it get you down and be determined to find another job. Sometimes a cloud has a silver lining, you may find something a lot better.

I wish you all the best for the future and best of luck Image

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 am

Francesc wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Maybe I missed something in this post but if someone is on permanent lay-off and has worked at the company for 12 years, aren't they entitled to severance? Also, weren't you part of a union if you worked in a hospital?

Even WITH a contract, they can often do almost anything with impunity. Depends what type of entity you work for, what kind of union, if there's a union . . .

With some contract workers, it's as though you're not "really" employed at all. It's complicated.

rjm

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Francesc wrote:

In most cases, they're migrant workers from Mexico who will basically work for 2 cents an hour picking corn.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:38 am

Well it appears our internet is still on! Maybe they'll be out tomorrow to shut it off.In any case, I had a call today for a job interview next Tuesday!!! Not getting too excited but hope i get it!! Was approved and am recieving unemployment for the time being.I've uploaded resume's to linkedin and tons of others so this is the first response i've had today! Unemployment sent me a letter saying i was "fired" without just cause after 12 years of employment and the hospital is not going to contest my unemployment benefits. We had no union there. Delaware is an "at will" work state and you can be let go at any time, for any reason regardless of how long you have worked wherever. I was informed of this by contacting a lawyer that my husband suggested.I was a little high up in my department as far as pay rate went, so they are cutting from the middle and top instead of the lower paid people, so i am told.Even the lawyer said it "was cold" the way they did it, but that's what alot of places including hospitals are doing in "these times". More cuts have been made since i left. A couple of my co-workers keep in touch and let me know what's been going on.They're redoing the entrance to the building and adding on an additional parking lot, so they must be cutting jobs to pay for that! Anyway, I'm still hurt and feel angry, but I'm trying to put it behind me and move on. If I get this job after the interview I will let you all know.Thanks again for all your words of inspiration and kind words everybody! :D

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:06 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:Well it appears our internet is still on! Maybe they'll be out tomorrow to shut it off.In any case, I had a call today for a job interview next Tuesday!!! Not getting too excited but hope i get it!! Was approved and am recieving unemployment for the time being.I've uploaded resume's to linkedin and tons of others so this is the first response i've had today! Unemployment sent me a letter saying i was "fired" without just cause after 12 years of employment and the hospital is not going to contest my unemployment benefits. We had no union there. Delaware is an "at will" work state and you can be let go at any time, for any reason regardless of how long you have worked wherever. I was informed of this by contacting a lawyer that my husband suggested.I was a little high up in my department as far as pay rate went, so they are cutting from the middle and top instead of the lower paid people, so i am told.Even the lawyer said it "was cold" the way they did it, but that's what alot of places including hospitals are doing in "these times". More cuts have been made since i left. A couple of my co-workers keep in touch and let me know what's been going on.They're redoing the entrance to the building and adding on an additional parking lot, so they must be cutting jobs to pay for that! Anyway, I'm still hurt and feel angry, but I'm trying to put it behind me and move on. If I get this job after the interview I will let you all know.Thanks again for all your words of inspiration and kind words everybody! :D

Remember that we're all with you! And try to relax.

Sorry to hear about this injustice. I am in higher education, so this sounds quite familiar. "Building Programs." No protection. This has been going on for a long time: now it's spreading.

Just keep calm, and know you did a good job, and will again.

All my best wishes,
Robin

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:32 am

rjm wrote:

Going postal won't solve much. It will just get you on the 6 o'clock news.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:41 am

TCB-FAN wrote:<"going postal">

rjm wrote:

Pardon? I think that's understood. {shocked eyeballs smiley}

I meant to relax about the interview. It's easy to tense up.

rjm (oh, wait: you're talking to me. LOL! If was going to freak out, it would have been back in the '90s . . . if you only knew what they put us through - constantly . . . so eventually I moved on)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Good luck in your quest for employment - it can't be easy, but there are lots of good people rooting for you right here.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 am

well at Library using computer since we had to cut down on some things like cable and internet. Had Interview 2 weeks ago and got letter the other day saying i didn't get the job.So here at Library looking for jobs online.Haven't givin up hope yet, but times sure are mighty trying for not only me, but alot of people that I know.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:01 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:well at Library using computer since we had to cut down on some things like cable and internet. Had Interview 2 weeks ago and got letter the other day saying i didn't get the job.So here at Library looking for jobs online.Haven't givin up hope yet, but times sure are mighty trying for not only me, but alot of people that I know.

I know you won't give up, so it'll come through. Could take around six months or so.

Meanwhile, I wish you and your family a nice Easter. Just be together as a family, and know that not everyone has that. It's a holiday about hope and faith, right? So, there you are. Keep the faith.

Best,
Robin

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:09 am

rjm wrote:
sgoodyear62 wrote:well at Library using computer since we had to cut down on some things like cable and internet. Had Interview 2 weeks ago and got letter the other day saying i didn't get the job.So here at Library looking for jobs online.Haven't givin up hope yet, but times sure are mighty trying for not only me, but alot of people that I know.

I know you won't give up, so it'll come through. Could take around six months or so.

Meanwhile, I wish you and your family a nice Easter. Just be together as a family, and know that not everyone has that. It's a holiday about hope and faith, right? So, there you are. Keep the faith.

Best,
Robin

Amen, Robin.

Still rooting for you, sgoodyear62.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:13 am

just an update...had 5 job interviews and still nothing. still looking everyday. typing this on my laptop using Wi-Fi, haven't givin up or gone under yet. Husband and I were talking about possibly moving to another state if things don't change by this time next year. He has lived in the same house going on 51 years but he is thinking of moving if I can get a job somewhere else if need be.He has history here so I don't know if I would want him to sell the house and move to another place and we both start all over at our age.In any case, things could change within a year for the better i'm keeping positive, but it isn't easy.Haven't posted much on here lately but wanted to let you all know what's been going on. and to thank you all for the words of faith. It means a lot. ::rocks

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:36 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:just an update...had 5 job interviews and still nothing. still looking everyday. typing this on my laptop using Wi-Fi, haven't givin up or gone under yet. Husband and I were talking about possibly moving to another state if things don't change by this time next year. He has lived in the same house going on 51 years but he is thinking of moving if I can get a job somewhere else if need be.He has history here so I don't know if I would want him to sell the house and move to another place and we both start all over at our age.In any case, things could change within a year for the better i'm keeping positive, but it isn't easy.Haven't posted much on here lately but wanted to let you all know what's been going on. and to thank you all for the words of faith. It means a lot. ::rocks

Thanks for the update. I hope you're on http://www.linkedin.com/ That's the place to go, and push hard! Also, did you try CareerBuilder.com? Can't do it without the 'net nowadays. There's also a way to post your on-line resume through Twitter, a service just for that. I don't know the name, but do look it up. Employers really don't do paper resumes anymore. Not very much. So, you do have to stay connected, because any day you could be missing the one! The one you want. The thing is that jobs are all over the country, and that's not convenient, but I think linkedin has options for that. You just build up all the connections you can, in your field, and there should be a lot more than five interviews, I'd think. It's worth pursuing. A premium account costs money, and you don't have a lot of that, but that could be the way. (I got offered something, and I wasn't even looking! It was in San Diego, and "requires extensive travel." But that's not the point: Linkedin is powerful!)

All my hopes!

Best,
Robin