Post here your Elvis' pictures

"The Absent King" --> December 1958 !

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:49 am

Found a cool Army photo today, part of an article about compère Dick Clark's 29th birthday:

LIFE - Dec 22 1958 p39.JPG
Life Magazine - December 22, 1958
Photo: Loomis Dean
THE ABSENT KING of rock 'n' roll, Elvis Presley, sings to a sergeant in Germany where Elvis is a jeep driver. He just learned he had become private first class, and though he has made 19 records that sold a million copies or more each, he was pleased by the $13.57 raise. It means he is making good as a soldier.

You gotta admit -- it's a fantastic photo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: "The Absent King" --> December 1958 !

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:30 am

I've never seen that picture before. Thanks DOC! I appreciate your posting that.

rlj

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 am

I think I've seen that one before and may have it somewhere. There were a few taken at the time. That guitar shows up a lot over there. I believe it may have been one of the two he had over there and gave to one of the kids that visited before he came home. Here's another from the series.
army%20(2).jpg

and another from possibly the same time frame that shows the same guitar
Annex - Presley, Elvis_01.jpg

OK, one more with a clearer shot of the guitar, which on closer inspection shows more detailing than the one in the the pic in the dress uniform. They're different guitars
c10.jpg

OK, found the copy I had of the original one
c11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 am

Added Loomis Dean photo credit to my post. He was a very well-regarded photographer.

Loomis Dean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loomis_Dean

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Added Loomis Dean photo credit to my post. He was a very well-regarded photographer.

Loomis Dean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loomis_Dean

Life was a great magazine in its day.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Yup, definitely different guitar

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:46 pm

A new one for me maby not for everyone but always nice to share...

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00 am

Erik van den Berg wrote:A new one for me maybe not for everyone but always nice to share...

-Elvis-elvis-presley-32865450-500-448.jpg

Nice one -- anyone know the date?

Could it be another from December 1958 by Loomis Dean of Life magazine?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 am

Found another I had saved

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Take a look at this link to see many more photos from this session

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pic ... woehr.html

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Erik van den Berg wrote:Take a look at this link to see many more photos from this session

I avoid that site because of their reputation for stealing material from other places on the internet.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 am

Thanks for posting this, Doc. I have seen it before, but I'm sure it was a cropped version. Thanks for sharing.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:11 am

Polk Salad Andy wrote:Thanks for posting this, Doc. I have seen it before, but I'm sure it was a cropped version. Thanks for sharing.

Who on EARTH is that in your avatar?!? :facep:

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:42 am

Tony.. wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:Thanks for posting this, Doc. I have seen it before, but I'm sure it was a cropped version. Thanks for sharing.

Who on EARTH is that in your avatar?!? :facep:

It is Bruce Campbell.