Off Topic Messages

Re: Murdering the English language..........

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvisbot wrote:i work with the public on a daily basis. Recently, i have heard people (both young and old) kill the English language. Even though i am not a scholar, i should think that people would like towould like to think that people want to exhibit some degree of intelligence by speaking English in a somewhat proper manner. Here are some examples of what i like to refer to as "ghetto English"....

"I'm on my way to the liberry to get some books"
"i don't gots nothing to do right now because my kids's are with their father"
"how are you's doing today?"
"i just tooken my wife to work"
"i have to return something to the store because it doesn't work right. I just boughten it yesterday" :wtf:

This is a prime example of how the new generations are handling themselves. When severely maligning the English language, i believe that they should pay more attention to staying in school and learning something than hanging on the street corner and trying to prove how tough they are. Another fine example is when guys wear pants halfway down their butts (how many butts do these people have) so you can see their underwear. The store where i work, (no need for comma) automatically disqualifies anyone who shows up with this fashion faux pas. They are not even considered for employment, much less hire them.

You have a generation of people who can program a computer frontwards and backwards but cannot even speak English in a proper way. I like to refer to this not as progress but as regress.

i guess the term "dumb as a rock" probably applies here. :shock:

Considering your own errors, I'd keep quiet on the issue.

Is that "I'd" or "i'd"?

the proper term would be "I would" rather than "i'd" (which is the lazy mans shortcut when speaking). :smt006

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 pm

elvisbot wrote:
Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
elvisbot wrote:i work with the public on a daily basis. Recently, i have heard people (both young and old) kill the English language. Even though i am not a scholar, i should think that people would like towould like to think that people want to exhibit some degree of intelligence by speaking English in a somewhat proper manner. Here are some examples of what i like to refer to as "ghetto English"....

"I'm on my way to the liberry to get some books"
"i don't gots nothing to do right now because my kids's are with their father"
"how are you's doing today?"
"i just tooken my wife to work"
"i have to return something to the store because it doesn't work right. I just boughten it yesterday" :wtf:

This is a prime example of how the new generations are handling themselves. When severely maligning the English language, i believe that they should pay more attention to staying in school and learning something than hanging on the street corner and trying to prove how tough they are. Another fine example is when guys wear pants halfway down their butts (how many butts do these people have) so you can see their underwear. The store where i work, (no need for comma) automatically disqualifies anyone who shows up with this fashion faux pas. They are not even considered for employment, much less hire them.

You have a generation of people who can program a computer frontwards and backwards but cannot even speak English in a proper way. I like to refer to this not as progress but as regress.

i guess the term "dumb as a rock" probably applies here. :shock:

Considering your own errors, I'd keep quiet on the issue.

Is that "I'd" or "i'd"?

the proper term would be "I would" rather than "i'd" (which is the lazy mans shortcut when speaking). :smt006

Do you mean lazy as in not writing "man's" instead of "mans" in your last line above? Do you mean lazy as in not bothering to use a capital "I"? 'I'd is perfectly correct when it comes to current English usage - and going back as far as Shakespeare, and probably beyond, the use of the apostrophe to shorten phrases was perfectly common in written English. However the use "i" never was and never will be correct.

Considering your own English grammar is severely lacking (if your posts on this thread are anything to go by), and since you are so worried about the way English is used, it seems as if it would be more beneficial to you to stop criticising those around you and instead go to the library and find a book on written English and learn when and where capital letters are used. Perhaps at the same time you could go through your posts and proof-read them to correct all your own errors. In a post damning the use of English around you, a sentence such as "They are not even considered for employment, much less hire them" is unforgivable.

My apologies to POOR MAD PETER

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Dear Mr. Peter,
i commend yu for being so polite in explaneing the Englush languige to me. I neva did have no's proper lerning in skool groing up. i lived in a smoll town where they didn't gots very good skools. i guess i sometimz skipped skool to much. My fadda told me quite ofen, that i should get my butts to skool to get me sum gud lerning. Insted, i hung arond street cornerz and began to speak the street Englush's. Okay, so i lerned my lesson and you mades me see the lite, as i just returned from my lowcal liberry. The liberrian gave me sum good books for the express purpos of mastering the Englush langoage.
i thinks that i am pretty sucksessfol at it so far.
if you have any moor sugestions for me as to speaking propur Englush, i wood sure appresheate it.
Hav a nise day,
elvisbot

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:52 pm

You just stop that right this very minute.

Re: My apologies to POOR MAD PETER

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 pm

elvisbot wrote:Dear Mr. Peter,
i commend yu for being so polite in explaneing the Englush languige to me. I neva did have no's proper lerning in skool groing up. i lived in a smoll town where they didn't gots very good skools. i guess i sometimz skipped skool to much. My fadda told me quite ofen, that i should get my butts to skool to get me sum gud lerning. Insted, i hung arond street cornerz and began to speak the street Englush's. Okay, so i lerned my lesson and you mades me see the lite, as i just returned from my lowcal liberry. The liberrian gave me sum good books for the express purpos of mastering the Englush langoage.
i thinks that i am pretty sucksessfol at it so far.
if you have any moor sugestions for me as to speaking propur Englush, i wood sure appresheate it.
Hav a nise day,
elvisbot

The issue, Bot, is that you are criticising people who don't know better for abusing the English language. Surely your crime is far worse as you tell us that you know the English language and yet don't bother to use it in the correct way. Practice what you preach...or shut up.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:50 pm

My screen name is "elvisbot" and not just "bot" (as you stated in your recent reply).

I will make an exception in your case and allow you to call me Mister Bot (because i am probably older and wiser than you anyway).

Have a nice day ...... :smt006