Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Kansas City, 1977

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 am

Sadly not one of Elvis' great nights. As for the gay act, we have to remember `humour' was different in the 70s, just think of British comedies like `Are You Being Served'.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 pm

elvisjock wrote:Was Sundial at the cleaners that night? God, he must have been so uncomfortable.

Maybe he liked the Spades better than the Sundial and wanted to test it out for the Special. He was too overweight at this point, though.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 pm

rickeap wrote:Sadly not one of Elvis' great nights. As for the gay act, we have to remember `humour' was different in the 70s, just think of British comedies like `Are You Being Served'.

Balderdash. Since when is demeaning a group of people OK?

There is nothing in "Are You Being Served" that parallels the "gay act" which Hodge and Presley presented on stage in 1976-77. We should quit making excuses for it now, and be grateful it did not become a concert staple in this period.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:52 pm

elvisjock wrote:I'll bet they kept that newspaper away from him.

There would actually have been no need to do so, as Star did not publish a review, only this photo with a flattering caption... :)

kansascity77pic.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:Sadly not one of Elvis' great nights. As for the gay act, we have to remember `humour' was different in the 70s, just think of British comedies like `Are You Being Served'.

Balderdash. Since when is demeaning a group of people OK?

There is nothing in "Are You Being Served" that parallels the "gay act" which Hodge and Presley presented on stage in 1976-77. We should quit making excuses for it now, and be grateful it did not become a concert staple in this period.

I was simply pointing out that `gay' comedy was not uncommon in the era. I never said anything about demeaning any group of people and I don't think Elvis meant to demean anybody. Even today, I know gay people who are quite happy to make jokes at their own expense. Not everyone is super sensitive. I'm not gay but recently attended a gay `wedding' ceremony and it was a great event and included some `gay humour'.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:08 am

I’m one of those who find the ‘gay act’ cringeworthy. Elvis usually stayed neutral on social and political issues, and one wonders why he deemed this act appropriate in his show. Very poor judgement call on his part, if you ask me. No doubt he offended the gays that were present at the shows where he performed this act… Completely unnecessary, and just plain stupid.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 am

ian wrote:From Ebay. 8)

Did Elvis leave the stage sometime during this show? When he first walks out, he looks like he is wearing an uncomfortably too tight girdle. But in these pictures he looks like he released his too swollen stomach.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:40 pm

I have never heared, that Elvis left the stage in Kansas. But I'd love to hear what the CBS people thought of the performance, knowing they had to film a television special the next day....

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Erik van den Berg wrote:I'm very sorry doc, i wasn't born yet... :facep:
Maby its just like Sonny said: how can you protect a men from 42 against himself... its hard too see Elvis this way... but we all know Elvis gave his all till the very end... Thats what makes Elvis special... he loved his fans more then he loved himself... sadly enough...

I believe the quote you referenced was spoken by Dave Hebler, not Sonny, but I get what you're saying.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:00 pm

KHoots wrote:
Maby its just like Sonny said: how can you protect a men from 42 against himself... its hard too see Elvis this way... but we all know Elvis gave his all till the very end... Thats what makes Elvis special... he loved his fans more then he loved himself... sadly enough...

I believe the quote you referenced was spoken by Dave Hebler, not Sonny, but I get what you're saying.

It's pretty difficult for 'friends' to protect someone from themselves, maybe impossible, but his management should have taken the appropriate steps.

That's where Elvis was badly let down.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:23 pm

keninlincs wrote:
Rob wrote:Please stoip being so negative, Ken.

It's still Elvis, so it's still good.

Sorry Rob.i had my "Tony"head on for a minute

I didn't know there were two of me around here....

KHoots wrote:

You are correct, KHoots.

Jokerlola wrote:
ian wrote:From Ebay. 8)

Did Elvis leave the stage sometime during this show? When he first walks out, he looks like he is wearing an uncomfortably too tight girdle. But in these pictures he looks like he released his too swollen stomach.

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:I have never heared, that Elvis left the stage in Kansas. But I'd love to hear what the CBS people thought of the performance, knowing they had to film a television special the next day....

He left the stage for an entire thirty-minutes in Baltimore, MD on May 29, 1977.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:48 pm

ColinB wrote:
KHoots wrote:

It's pretty difficult for 'friends' to protect someone from themselves, maybe impossible, but his management should have taken the appropriate steps.

That's where Elvis was badly let down.

Agree it's pretty difficult for 'friends' to protect someone from themselves, but it didn't help matters that most of them were on his payroll. Elvis had more disgruntled employees than friends.

Elvis was badly let down. But his dad should have taken the appropriate steps imo.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I’m one of those who find the ‘gay act’ cringeworthy. Elvis usually stayed neutral on social and political issues, and one wonders why he deemed this act appropriate in his show. Very poor judgement call on his part, if you ask me. No doubt he offended the gays that were present at the shows where he performed this act… Completely unnecessary, and just plain stupid.

100% AGREED!! I, honestly, don't think that Elvis found it all that funny, either, because when they attempted it the next night, Elvis tried to get Hodge to stop.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:36 am

Forget the the whole gay act, Charlie holding the microphone in the first place was stupid and looked gay! It looks sycophantic! Same with Charlie holding the microphone for Unchained Melody. They didn't have mic stands and extensions?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:04 am

Scott Hayward wrote:
elvisjock wrote:I'll bet they kept that newspaper away from him.

There would actually have been no need to do so, as Star did not publish a review, only this photo with a flattering caption... :)

kansascity77pic.png

Cool! 8)

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:55 am

He was not making fun of gays.

He was paradoying the song itself.

He always found a way to joke his way thru the song from 1961 to 1968 to 1970 to 1977.

Context.

No one complained then.

But different people do have different sensibilities and so, perhaps it was best to axe the act in 1977 based

on the fact that some people could misunderstand the humor.

But the real reason for not including the act is probably the way it looks to the public that an actual person is holding a mic up to his face,
when a metal mic stand would have sufficed. People would've noticed that more than anything else.
Last edited by ekenee on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:26 pm

I guess Elvis was a little insecure of his abilities to play guitar and piano and just wanted Charlie at his side. My impression is, that Elvis simply was underrehearsed and didn't know the lyrics of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and the chords of "Unchained Melody". Instead of sitting down and learning his part he relied on his talent to joke and entertain.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Over the top reactions guys.
Listen, Elvis was surrounded by a large crew of concert promotors and personal staff.
Major newspapers were present and thousands in attendace leading to countless reviews.

I have never heard anything negative on this act by anyone involved, it's Elvis and his sidekick taking things not too serious.
And here we are thinking it's a badly judged strategical move, with a racist motivation in the back of our heads.

The 'gay' act during AYLT was the least of all worries in 1977.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Robert wrote:I have never heard anything negative on this act by anyone involved ...

I have.

Robert wrote:... it's Elvis and his sidekick taking things not too serious.

If you have even one friend or acquaintance who is gay, please run that Kansas City '77 YouTube performance for them.

Then tell us what their reaction is.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:I have never heard anything negative on this act by anyone involved ...

I have.

Robert wrote:... it's Elvis and his sidekick taking things not too serious.

If you have even one friend or acquaintance who is gay, please run that Kansas City '77 YouTube performance for them.

Then tell us what their reaction is.

Point is Doc, if this is an offensive act, the press would have picked it up at the time.
I also wonder how gay people feel about this.. I don't have gay friends to share this with but I can imagine gay people are not too worried about it.
Keep in mind us Dutch people are quite liberal on things like this, but it may be a different case in other countries..
To elaborate a little bit more on this, the entertainment industry is dominated by gay people in the Netherlands and I can assure you many of them constantly share gay jokes beyond imagination on national television. It's no big deal and people are respected in every aspect.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:There is nothing in "Are You Being Served" that parallels the "gay act" which Hodge and Presley presented on stage in 1976-77. We should quit making excuses for it now, and be grateful it did not become a concert staple in this period.

Elvis also made a gay-joke in '68, how do you feel about that? 8)

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:17 am

Robert wrote:Point is Doc, if this is an offensive act, the press would have picked it up at the time.

It was not performed on the CBS program and Elvis did not sing it a lot in 1976-1977. So that is a poor argument.

Robert wrote:I also wonder how gay people feel about this.. I don't have gay friends to share this with but I can imagine gay people are not too worried about it.

Spoken like a true expert. ;-)

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:19 am

Xaykev wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There is nothing in "Are You Being Served" that parallels the "gay act" which Hodge and Presley presented on stage in 1976-77. We should quit making excuses for it now, and be grateful it did not become a concert staple in this period.

Elvis also made a gay-joke in '68, how do you feel about that? 8)

My comments are very clear and consistent on that unreleased studio jam.

Would you like me to find them for you?

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:Point is Doc, if this is an offensive act, the press would have picked it up at the time.

It was not performed on the CBS program and Elvis did not sing it a lot in 1976-1977. So that is a poor argument.

Robert wrote:I also wonder how gay people feel about this.. I don't have gay friends to share this with but I can imagine gay people are not too worried about it.

Spoken like a true expert. ;-)

I don't really have the ambition to be a true expert in this area, obviously you are and that's fine and you clearly got signs this part of Elvis' act was not appropriate. I believe you on that one Doc.
If this "gay act' was done around 10 times in front of let's say 150000 people with 10 newspaper reporters in attendance and it never generated some sort of debate I still don't think we have a major topic.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Are these skits offensive?

Skit at 3:20:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]