burning, ripping, decoding ,codec'', etc..
Moderators: promiseland/JimmyCool

Forum rules

Forum rules
Note: Before any posting relating to Software is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL SOFTWARE must be Legal in accordance to Copyrights and Licensing per Vender . If we become aware, the material you are linking or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

PC or MAC?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 pm

My old Dell PC has served me well for many years but is starting to show it's age.
I am considering buying a new computer and have started looking around. It seems that all new PC's come with Windows 8 pre-installed and, having read some reviews, I'm not sure I'd like it!
The new iMac looks like a nice piece of equipment but of course has an entirely different operating system. Seeing as I would have to learn how to use a new operating system whether I purchase a PC or an iMac I'm undecided which way to go.
Some comments from Windows 8 and Mac users about the pros and cons of both would be most helpful.
Steve

Re: PC or MAC?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Mac is the most elegant operating system, and has been for years. Go Mac OS and you'll never regret it!

Re: PC or MAC?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:24 am

Well, this computer is very new: September, and it started with Windows 7, which was absolutely perfect.

I updated. And after a few bumps, I'm pretty happy with it. The only kick about it is that it really is intended for a computer with a touch screen. There are, however, special mice and even a smooth surfaced tablet (JUST a tablet - not a computer, in lieu of a mouse) that are designed for Win8. (I would like to be able to use a digital pen, if possible, since I have a Note II and the S-Pen, and I love it.)

I would assume a brand new system with Win8 would be just fine, with the right computer. I do think the OS will probably mature, and get a lot smoother as time goes on, since that's always the case.

I can't tell you about a Mac, since I've never owned one. (Have used them.) The only Apple I have is an IPod Classic. But Win8 is not bad, but it would be ideal on a touchscreen computer.

rjm

Re: PC or MAC?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:28 pm

It's all about preference.

Windows is more compatible, and has the largest software library.
Most banks, big business', producers, and government agencies use Microsoft for a reason... Security, Excell, Compatability, Intel ...how many can you think of?

Re: PC or MAC?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 pm

Thank you for the replies DJC, Robin and Promiseland.
Robin, in retrospect, do you wish you had stuck with Win7?
Doc, one of my concerns about switching to a Mac is the fact that my documents are saved in the WordPerfect format. So I assume I would have to convert them to some other format that a Mac can deal with?

Re: PC or MAC?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:25 am

Elfan wrote:Thank you for the replies DJC, Robin and Promiseland.
Robin, in retrospect, do you wish you had stuck with Win7?
Doc, one of my concerns about switching to a Mac is the fact that my documents are saved in the WordPerfect format. So I assume I would have to convert them to some other format that a Mac can deal with?


Re: Win7. Well, it worked perfectly. But I think as time goes on more applications will b e designed for Win8. So, eventually, it was going to happen. And I think MS will respond to user demands, too.

If you're getting a new machine, consider a touch screen.

rjm
P.S. -- "WordPerfect"? Wow. That goes back, and I do admire anyone who truly mastered it! It was HARD. I used WordStar 2000: "Easy Word Processing You'll Never Outgrow." Well, I outgrew it. Kinda miss it, though. Thanks for the memories. I hope you find a great new computer. (You can get Word for Mac, and it should have the format. Or you can look for a conversion utility. IF you decide to go over to "the other side." ;) )

Re: PC or MAC?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:36 pm

promiseland wrote:It's all about preference.

Windows is more compatible, and has the largest software library.
Most banks, big business', producers, and government agencies use Microsoft for a reason... Security, Excell, Compatability, Intel ...how many can you think of?


I have had zero issues since switching to a Mac more than a year ago. No viruses, no problems with security, etc.

I installed Windows on my Mac using Parallels to take advantage of Windows games and to use the Windows version of CuteFTP, and I miss out on nothing. Your point is moot. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Re: PC or MAC?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Mac is the most elegant operating system, and has been for years. Go Mac OS and you'll never regret it!


Totally agree on this Doc!

Re: PC or MAC?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Elfan wrote:Thank you for the replies DJC, Robin and Promiseland.
Robin, in retrospect, do you wish you had stuck with Win7?
Doc, one of my concerns about switching to a Mac is the fact that my documents are saved in the WordPerfect format. So I assume I would have to convert them to some other format that a Mac can deal with?


You can install Windows on your Mac using Parallels if there are Windows programs you just can't give up. This means that from your Mac desktop, you will be able to bring up Windows in another window side by side. If you don't wish to buy Parallels, you can still install it but you will have to boot up and switch between operating systems if you want to use Windows.

I absolutely love it.

Re: PC or MAC?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 pm

One problem has just popped up: no more support for Google calendar sync. A problem for Android users.

I hope this gets resolved! That calendar has been lame, and now what? They'd better get on it!

Otherwise, I'm enjoying Win8 more and more. I use Yahoo mail, so that works dandy, including contacts. It's the calander.

rjm

Re: PC or MAC?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:59 pm

For the price of a Mac you can buy 2 regular PC's

Re: PC or MAC?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Your Mac will still have some value five years from now.
Sold my 3 year old Imac for 500,- bucks (within 5 minutes)

PC have no value after 3 years, so PC's are more exspecsive in the long run.

Re: PC or MAC?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:42 am

zolderopruiming1 wrote:For the price of a Mac you can buy 2 regular PC's

Agreed, two base model, gutless PC's that have useless graphic cards, i3 processor at best and windows home edition OS... any PC I've ever purchased for doing anything more than simply checking email cost anywhere from $1500-$2200... and I've purchased many...
I recently changed to an iMAC for my home computer and I'm quite happy with it so far... like anything new there's an adjustment period... nothing beats that 27" monitor... it's phenomenal with the right 2G graphics card.
:smt023

Re: PC or MAC?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:58 am

Linux here. Got sick of windows 8. I actually still have windows installed on a "dual boot" setup, but haven't had a need to boot into it for a couple months now. Best part of Linux (Ubuntu 13.04)?? It's 100% free and runs smooth as silk.

Re: PC or MAC?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:17 am

Windows 8.1 is coming out, and will have better desktop integration, the START button back, wallpaper wherever you want it, and generally more polished. They say, though, to disable "smart search" as it is intrusive. I would avoid downloading the preview, because it can't be uninstalled, so it's best to wait for the real release. Also, Facebook photos will have a completely separate metro app, and not be blended with your other photos. (They are the same, anyway.)

The consensus is that people who liked Win7 will like this a lot better.

It's up to the individual. I still intend to dance with the one that brung me. But I am also following Woody Leonard on Twitter, who is the supreme Windows "underground" specialist, and he'll tell you how to make it real smooth, and unintrusive.

rjm

Re: PC or MAC?

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Well, after weighing it all up I went for a new Dell XPS8500. It's a very high spec PC and the nice guys at Dell gave me a good deal plus agreed to sell me it with Win7 installed.
I've had it a few weeks now and so far I am very impressed with it.
I thought long and hard about going for a Mac but in the end it came down to cost and the PC was much cheaper.

Re: PC or MAC?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:11 pm

PC or MAC? If you are a professionell user and shall use your comp for photo- and especially videoediting and music producing I should go on the MAC comp. But for the normally user the PC is the best comp. I have five PC comp. One only for photo editing, one only for video editing, one only for musicproducing, one only for surfing the net and so on.

The Dell XPS8500 is a good PC for the money. A better choice had been if you had asked a comp shop to special designed your own comp and you probably had got a No. 1 top comp for the same buck/quid. :wink:

Re: PC or MAC?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 am

What kind of photo or video editing cannot be done on a high-end PC?

Simple, direct question.

rjm