Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.
Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 am
I'd like to include shows from 1969. In fact, nearly every Las Vegas performance
from July 1969 to September 1970 is worthy. Elvis was on top of the world in almost every respect, and his band often had to fight to keep up with his energy and enthusiasm.Elvis Presley, "One Night" - Houston Astrodome, Houston, TX
Friday, February 27, 1970 OSOf known in-line recordings, these are awesome -->
August 21, 1969 MS -- Viva Las Vegas, CD 2
August 22, 1969 DS -- Elvis In Person
August 23, 1969 MS -- At The International
August 24, 1969 DS -- Live In Las Vegas, CD 1
August 26, 1969 DS -- Live In Vegas
August 26, 1969 MS -- All Shook Up
January 26, 1970 OS -- Opening Night: January 1970
February 15, 1970 MS -- Polk Salad Annie
February 23, 1970 CS -- Closing Night: February 1970
August 10, 1970 OS -- One Night In Vegas
August 11, 1970 MS -- Live In Las Vegas, CD 2
August 12, 1970 MS -- That's The Way It Is SE, CD 2
August 13, 1970 DS -- The Wonder Of You
(FTD)Of known off-line recordings, these are wonderful in quality and performance -->
August 19, 1970 DS -- Double Dynamite, CD 1
August 19, 1970 MS -- Double Dynamite, CD 2
August 20, 1970 DS -- A Dinner Bell In Vegas
August 20, 1970 MS -- A Bright Midnight With Elvis
August 21, 1970 DS -- From Vegas To Macon
August 21, 1970 MS -- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
There you are -- 13
top-notch Vegas shows in-line, 6
off-line, by the greatest singer of the 20th century.
Take your pick!
Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:In fact, nearly every Las Vegas performance from July 1969 to September 1970 is worthy.
John, I agree 100% with what your saying ..the show you mentioned are all top notch with no weak spot..
we should exclude some of the shows from September 1970 where Elvis took things a bit easy with many false
starts or songs not sung completely or having the giggles..an example woud be the recently discovered September 6,
1970 3 am show...as released on Vegas Variety Vol. 5www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/import/V ... riety5.htm
Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 pm
August 20, 1970 DS. My first audience recording: A dinner date with Elvis. The intimacy one feels through this recording.
Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:24 am
one of my favourites must be the february 19 1971 show it has a kick ass tracklist
Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:32 am
Johnny2523 wrote:one of my favourites must be the february 19 1971 show it has a kick ass tracklist
One of the most unique set lists ever...yes..and a good show, too..
Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:22 pm
1-Any Show of 1969!
Maybe August 26, Midnight Show
After so many...
September 7, 1970 3am... Closing Show...February 23, 1973
Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:33 pm
September 7, 1970 3am...
Elvis was in a hilarious mood as he was at most shows towards the end of this Vegas gig.
It was a common MS..btw..and no extra added show in the morning of September 8th..as most of us think..
Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:55 am
August 10, 1970 M.S.
August 19, 1974 O.S.
March 22, 1975
Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:02 am
Which show from March 22, 1975..the DS or the MS..?.
You come from Eugene..?
You happen to have a complete audience recording from November 25, 1976 ES..?..
Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 pm
Favourite Vegas Concert per engagement (not based on sound quality of recording) (this is going to be fun...)
1. August 26 1969 DS (perfect balance between professional and fooling around, my favourite songs from 1969 and a rare performance of Inherit The Wind!)
2. January 26 1970 OS (honestly I haven't heard a lot of the concerts from this engagement but this is my favourite because Elvis doesn't fool about too much and doesn't sing too many covers. Superb versions of All Shook Up, Proud Mary and That's All Right)
3. August 13 1970 DS (not too much fooling about and it has my favourite 1970 Elvis songs plus plenty of his 50s hits. Some of the concerts from this engagement had too many new songs but there is a perfect balance here. Cool Red Ladder suit as well!)
4. February 19 1971 MS (one of the few concerts from this engagement where Elvis sounds like he's enjoying it and it's one of the longest. It includes all the best songs from this engagement and rare songs like Snowbird.)
5. August 12 1971 MS (best ever version of Jailhouse Rock and a great set-list with one of the best Lawdy Miss Clawdys)
+ August 30 1971 DS (best ever version of Hound Dog, James Burton's guitar is on fire, love the very rarely used alternate opening theme, great songs)
6. February 6 1972 MS (all the shows are pretty much the same this season and this performance is one of the better ones)
7. August 17 1972 MS (great set-list, love it when he does Johnny b Goode after CC Rider, rare version of Tiger Man, very impressive vocally)
8. January 27 1973 DS (great set-list, Elvis is still very good vocally, in all the concerts in February Elvis' voice was weak, suffering from throat infection.)
9. August 6 1973 OS (Raised on Rock is one of my all time favourite Elvis songs and live, it's even better. Also Elvis is not yet bored!)
10. February 8 1974 MS (great versions of Blueberry Hill and Sweet Caroline, overall a great show from an average season!)
11. August 19 1974 OS (who wouldn't pick this one. The Elvis Concert formula was getting tired and it needed a renewal with some new songs. Unfortunately Elvis went back to the old formula. Great versions of Down In The Alley, My Baby Left Me, It's Midnight and If You Love Me.)
12. March 18 1975 OS (lots of new songs. Cool two-piece suit. Great performance. Elvis is out of hospital and ready to go!)
13. August 19 1975 DS (all the concerts from this short season were poor as Elvis was ill but this one has Crying In The Chapel + Loving You!)
14. December 13 1975 DS (one of the best FTDs. Some rare songs like Wooden Heart and Blue Christmas and an impressive Polk Salad Annie!)
15. December 4 1976 DS (With the greatest singer in the world, Roy Orbison, there to watch and support him, Elvis put in the most impressive show from this engagement.)
Favourite Engagements (Tahoe and Vegas)
1. Tahoe 1971 (the best songs, Elvis having fun and in good voice)
2. Vegas 1969 (Elvis hasn't performed for 9 years and is so energetic and strong vocally.)
3. August/September 1972
4. March/April 1975
5. Vegas August/September 1971
Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 pm
Excellent posting...great summary..great shows..yess....