Off Topic Messages

Murdering the English language..........

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:46 pm

i work with the public on a daily basis. Recently, i have heard people (both young and old) kill the English language. Even though i am not a scholar, i should think that people would like to exhibit some degree of intelligence by speaking English in a somewhat proper manner. Here are some examples of what i like to refer to as "ghetto English"....

"I'm on my way to the liberry to get some books"
"i don't gots nothing to do right now because my kids's are with their father"
"how are you's doing today?"
"i just tooken my wife to work"
"i have to return something to the store because it doesn't work right. I just boughten it yesterday" :wtf:

This is a prime example of how the new generations are handling themselves. When severely maligning the English language, i believe that they should pay more attention to staying in school and learning something than hanging on the street corner and trying to prove how tough they are. Another fine example is when guys wear pants halfway down their butts so you can see their underwear. The store where i work, automatically disqualifies anyone who shows up with this fashion faux pas. They are not even considered for employment, much less hire them.

You have a generation of people who can program a computer frontwards and backwards but cannot even speak English in a proper way. I like to refer to this not as progress but as regress.

i guess the term "dumb as a rock" probably applies here. :shock:

Re: Murdering the English language..........

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:00 pm

You should see the postings here!
You're is typed as your.
Their as there.
And so on.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:02 pm

We have a few on this board who are from the United States who constantly butcher the English language. How can they possibly get a high school diploma by doing this? How do the school systems allow them to graduate when they have to look at their name tags in order to spell their names? When they type on this board, their sentences run together so badly that it is hard to tell what the hell they are saying. I have a supervisor right now who works for me that types sentences like, "We haft to run these parts bye the time we leave today." It's sad and I wonder where we failed to educate the people. He has a high school diploma.

How does this happen?
Last edited by Rob on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm sorry Rob!

I'm doing the best I can.

I'm just a letter carrier what do you expect from me!! :oops:

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:32 pm

One thing I noticed over the years (I work for an american company) is that not even HALF of the american people who work there can properly spell or write the word "receive", it's always written as "recieve". Somehow this pisses me off every time. Well, nobody's perfect. :wink:

Did anybody watch the movie "Idiocracy"?

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 pm

High School diploma?

This is supposed to be learned in elementary school!!

RKS

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:One thing I noticed over the years (I work for an american company) is that not even HALF of the american people who work there can properly spell or write the word "receive", it's always written as "recieve".

I before E except after C.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Rob wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:One thing I noticed over the years (I work for an american company) is that not even HALF of the american people who work there can properly spell or write the word "receive", it's always written as "recieve".

I before E except after C.

That's correct Rob, but only half of the lesson;
I before E except after C
and when sounding like A as in Neighbor and Weigh.

Class dismissed.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 am

You all must bear in mind that the English language is always evolving.. A person born in 1700 would not understand the written or spoken of today.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 am

phpBB [video]

There even are places where English completely
disappears. In America, they haven't used it for years! LOL!!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:47 am

elvisbot wrote:i work with the public on a daily basis. Recently, i have heard people (both young and old) kill the English language. Even though i am not a scholar, i should think that people would like to exhibit some degree of intelligence by speaking English in a somewhat proper manner. Here are some examples of what i like to refer to as "ghetto English"....

"i have to return something to the store because it doesn't work right. I just boughten it yesterday" :wtf:

This is a prime example of how the new generations are handling themselves. When severely maligning the English language, i believe that they should pay more attention to staying in school and learning something than hanging on the street corner and trying to prove how tough they are. Another fine example is when guys wear pants halfway down their butts so you can see their underwear. The store where i work, automatically disqualifies anyone who shows up with this fashion faux pas. They are not even considered for employment, much less hire them.

You have a generation of people who can program a computer frontwards and backwards but cannot even speak English in a proper way. I like to refer to this not as progress but as regress.

Here's a word from the English language that you should learn yourself:

http://bit.ly/dptpn4

Chris

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 am

Well, I have said a lot of things about the "Twitterization" of language already. Not good at all.

On the other hand . . . a VERY close relative still says "liberry." (Not me!) Not gonna change now. EVERYBODY from New Jersey (well, near the shore, in any case) says "Yous," and as for me, only the spell-checker saves me from "recieve." (Didn't fix it that time! Just spilled out that way.)

Computers are a big problem in this regard, what with "auto-correct" and then spell-checkers everywhere. Once one is deprived of the crutch, one discovers that one has "forgotten" how to spell. Schools, at least, should ban them. Not that it prevents problems in the future: I used to be a good speller. But the biggest problems emanate from this whole "texting/tweeting" business. "U" for you, "2" for either to, or too, or two. And so on. All the BTWs, and OMGs, and . . . The biggest thing is that people do rely now on emoticons to convey nuance in writing, rather than writing with nuance.

rjm

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:02 pm

carolynlm wrote:We have had a name change...it's not 'Australia' any more...it's 'Austraya', and apparently I am an Austrayen.

LOL !

Good to see you posting again, Carolyn !

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:26 pm

i recently visited London and people were Arxing me "weh yo from?"it was like i had gone to another country

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:33 pm

keninlincs wrote:i recently visited London and people were Arxing me "weh yo from?"it was like i had gone to another country

It sound's like you were in rapper land. I've never heard of the word "Arxing" before, and so I just looked up the meaning.

arxing - Word in Context
wordincontext.com/en/arxing<a href="http://wordincontext.com/en/arxing">arxing</a>. BBCode. arxing. close [X]. Example usage of word. Word of ...

"Yes, sir." "And he gave you a letter to deliver to Mr Morris?" "No, sir," cried Wrench sharply. "I'd forgotten all about it till you began arxing me questions like this.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:56 pm

God help anyone who gets it wrong in this thread..

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 pm

ChrisM wrote:
elvisbot wrote:i work with the public on a daily basis. Recently, i have heard people (both young and old) kill the English language. Even though i am not a scholar, i should think that people would like to exhibit some degree of intelligence by speaking English in a somewhat proper manner. Here are some examples of what i like to refer to as "ghetto English"....

Here's a word from the English language that you should learn yourself:

http://bit.ly/dptpn4

Chris

i guess you are upset because you think that i was referring to you. Well....you are right...i was talking about you!

have a nice day......... :smt006

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 pm

keninlincs wrote:i recently visited London and people were Arxing me "weh yo from?"it was like i had gone to another country

When I was in the Merchant Navy, I met people of many different nationalities, & they would often say "We don't have to ask where you're from because it's obvious you're from London !"

I was actually brought up in Brighton & Hove !

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:47 pm

It would seem that Mrs Bucket is alive and well.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 am

elvisbot wrote:i work with the public on a daily basis. Recently, i have heard people (both young and old) kill the English language.

elvisbot wrote:i guess you are upset because you think that i was referring to you. Well....you are right...i was talking about you!

So we've met? I'm confused. Perhaps it is due to your poor grasp of the English language.

Chris

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 am

There's nothing you can do about it. I used to be a grammar nazi, but I gave up.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:50 pm

ECC83 wrote:There's nothing you can do about it. I used to be a grammar nazi, but I gave up.

Gestapo [Cropped].JPG

"Poor grammar vill not be tolerated !"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 pm

elvisbot wrote:i work with the public on a daily basis. Recently, i have heard people (both young and old) kill the English language. Even though i am not a scholar, i should think that people would like towould like to think that people want to exhibit some degree of intelligence by speaking English in a somewhat proper manner. Here are some examples of what i like to refer to as "ghetto English"....

This is a prime example of how the new generations are handling themselves. When severely maligning the English language, i believe that they should pay more attention to staying in school and learning something than hanging on the street corner and trying to prove how tough they are. Another fine example is when guys wear pants halfway down their butts (how many butts do these people have) so you can see their underwear. The store where i work, (no need for comma) automatically disqualifies anyone who shows up with this fashion faux pas. They are not even considered for employment, much less hire them.

Considering your own errors, I'd keep quiet on the issue.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
elvisbot wrote:i work with the public on a daily basis. Recently, i have heard people (both young and old) kill the English language. Even though i am not a scholar, i should think that people would like towould like to think that people want to exhibit some degree of intelligence by speaking English in a somewhat proper manner. Here are some examples of what i like to refer to as "ghetto English"....

This is a prime example of how the new generations are handling themselves. When severely maligning the English language, i believe that they should pay more attention to staying in school and learning something than hanging on the street corner and trying to prove how tough they are. Another fine example is when guys wear pants halfway down their butts (how many butts do these people have) so you can see their underwear. The store where i work, (no need for comma) automatically disqualifies anyone who shows up with this fashion faux pas. They are not even considered for employment, much less hire them.

Considering your own errors, I'd keep quiet on the issue.

Is that "I'd" or "i'd"?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Unless it's required, ie where people need to speak the 'lingo' well (eg when serving the public), "Ghetto English" is no big deal to me. The attitude of those individuals matters more. Perhaps it's the attitude (you mentioned pants slung down) that irritates some people and not so much the use of language?

People with extremely limited education might find it difficult to express themselves on many topics. But, once they've talked about themselves, or their interests, they may have all the vocabulary necessary. Then, you'd hear the most wonderful metaphors when they were describing an experience. I think a good listener can make a difference to what people will say in a given moment.

I do think, however, that even educated people can be lazy or thoughtless these days with English. The Internet, Texting, Twitter and the seemingly more relaxed use of English these days means that we see missing punctuation (leading to re-reading and ambiguity), and confusion over similar-sounding words (eg There/their) in many places. The language sounds fine when only spoken, but you can tell that even the educated people, when it's the easiest option, come close to, or do, neglect this same language

English is fabulous, partly because it is constantly changing, taking in foreign words, jargon, slang etc to show its flexibility. It's the language of Shakespeare as well as Hip Hop(two great lyrical forces, even if perhaps not someone's cup of tea). How people use the language to be communicate does not really mean they are necessarily "dumb as a rock", as it was suggested above.
Last edited by Suds on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.