Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Whats so interesting about Elvis uneleased MONO masters?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Matthew wrote:
promiseland wrote:
George Smith wrote:Sometimes mono sounds better than stereo (the movie soundtracks are a good example of this).

Also, perhaps most importantly, Elvis often personally approved the mono mixes of his music but not necessarily the stereo mixes.

Some fans like to hear the music as EP intended, I guess.

It's all a matter of personal choice.

You're just joking right? :?

Sometimes an original mono mix is superior to its original stereo mix counterpart. In the case of many of Elvis' 60s soundtrack mixes, with their wonky band to the left, backing vocals to the right mixes, the original mono mixes offer a more balanced listening experience and are often more punchy.

How's the Roustabout listening going?

It's Stereo thank God!

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Mono mixes were made for nearly every Elvis single through 1971 (even songs like Frankie and Johnny which were fold downs on LP were dedicated mixes on 45) and as promos for radio stations through 1975. They are often quite different with the later promos such as "Always On My Mind" sounding particularly interesting. Mono is no less legit than stereo and as the recent FTD books issuing mono masters make clear, Elvis like, Brian Wilson, Phill Spector, John Lennon, and many others who did dual mixes in the sixties and into the seventies prefered it. If you want to hear Elvis' sixties hits properly mono is the way to go. The best option is to track down the Worldwide Gold Award Hits sets on vinyl as they were both mono. Honestly if you only hear sixties music in stereo you are missing out big time. Elvis' early sixties stereo mixes were unusually good for their period, but that in no way negates the importance of the mono format.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:24 pm

promiseland wrote:
George Smith wrote:Sometimes mono sounds better than stereo (the movie soundtracks are a good example of this).

You're just joking right? :?

Nope.

The early 60's soundtracks were not always recorded in "true" stereo and the listening experience can be odd and unbalanced. Listening in mono can remove this potential problem.

(This scenario also applies to the early Beatles' LPs, incidentally.)

The "strict" stereo sound can occasionally be good: for example, "I Need Somebody To Lean On' sounds lovely with the solo guitar off to the right on its own. On the same soundtrack, the introduction to 'Viva Las Vegas' lacks any punch or sense of power when really it should come soaring out of the speakers.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:31 pm

George Smith wrote:On the same soundtrack, the introduction to 'Viva Las Vegas' lacks any punch or sense of power when really it should come soaring out of the speakers.

Which is especially worrying since this song never had an original stereo mix. The modern mix to stereo is indeed lacking, one because of the too high vocal and too quiet backing, but also because quite obviously all three tracks aren't switch on for the intro. You can hear the backing vocal track being turned just before Elvis start to sing, noticeable by the faint band bleed-through into that channel fading up. Poor work. This is a soundtrack I'd appreciate a mono CD edition of.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Mono mixes were made for nearly every Elvis single through 1971 (even songs like Frankie and Johnny which were fold downs on LP were dedicated mixes on 45) and as promos for radio stations through 1975. They are often quite different with the later promos such as "Always On My Mind" sounding particularly interesting. Mono is no less legit than stereo and as the recent FTD books issuing mono masters make clear, Elvis like, Brian Wilson, Phill Spector, John Lennon, and many others who did dual mixes in the sixties and into the seventies prefered it. If you want to hear Elvis' sixties hits properly mono is the way to go. The best option is to track down the Worldwide Gold Award Hits sets on vinyl as they were both mono. Honestly if you only hear sixties music in stereo you are missing out big time. Elvis' early sixties stereo mixes were unusually good for their period, but that in no way negates the importance of the mono format.

Wasn't aware of the dedicated mono mixes of songs like Frankie and Johnny appearing on 45. Interesting information.
Does anyone have any samples?

What would be really cool is a verified list of every single dedicated mono mix known to exist.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Mike Eder wrote:The best option is to track down the Worldwide Gold Award Hits sets on vinyl as they were both mono.

Are you saying that the CD releases of these were stereo?

Brian

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Mono mixes were made for nearly every Elvis single through 1971 (even songs like Frankie and Johnny which were fold downs on LP were dedicated mixes on 45) and as promos for radio stations through 1975. They are often quite different with the later promos such as "Always On My Mind" sounding particularly interesting. Mono is no less legit than stereo and as the recent FTD books issuing mono masters make clear, Elvis like, Brian Wilson, Phill Spector, John Lennon, and many others who did dual mixes in the sixties and into the seventies prefered it. If you want to hear Elvis' sixties hits properly mono is the way to go. The best option is to track down the Worldwide Gold Award Hits sets on vinyl as they were both mono. Honestly if you only hear sixties music in stereo you are missing out big time. Elvis' early sixties stereo mixes were unusually good for their period, but that in no way negates the importance of the mono format.

Thanks for this info, Mike.

I do have both WWGA Hits sets (purchased on release) so maybe I should give them a listen again ! At the time I was really annoyed that the post-1959 tracks were not in stereo.

Steve Morse

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Matthew wrote:
George Smith wrote:On the same soundtrack, the introduction to 'Viva Las Vegas' lacks any punch or sense of power when really it should come soaring out of the speakers.

Which is especially worrying since this song never had an original stereo mix. The modern mix to stereo is indeed lacking, one because of the too high vocal and too quiet backing, but also because quite obviously all three tracks aren't switch on for the intro. You can hear the backing vocal track being turned just before Elvis start to sing, noticeable by the faint band bleed-through into that channel fading up. Poor work. This is a soundtrack I'd appreciate a mono CD edition of.

Definitely should have been considered for the FTD edition. Perhaps the producers didn't consider it because it was released during a period of time when "mono mixes" were not making a storming comeback for audio enthusiasts. These days, labels are releasing mono reissues in larger numbers. There have been rumors that FTD may revisit the Viva Las Vegas soundtrack - perhaps we'll see a two disc edition that includes the mono release?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:57 pm

While it's interesting to have the mono masters on the Legacy FEIM, I still prefer those tracks in stereo... after all I have 2 ears, not one.
Now, if I could only find those Memphis session masters in decent stereo sound quality...

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Here are the seven 70s mono tracks from Worldwide Gold Hits Vol. 2.

I Really Don't Want To Know
I've Lost You
Patch It Up
The Next Step Is Love
The Wonder Of You
There Goes My Everything
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:42 am

bpmod wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:The best option is to track down the Worldwide Gold Award Hits sets on vinyl as they were both mono.

Brian

From what I understand they were. I never picked them up but I remember for Volume 2 they put it in song date order and I was told they remixed them to stereo. I like the vinyl's so much on these I never thought to get them on CD.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:13 am

Mike Eder wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian

From what I understand they were. I never picked them up but I remember for Volume 2 they put it in song date order and I was told they remixed them to stereo. I like the vinyl's so much on these I never thought to get them on CD.

I have them on both vinyl and CD. Time to dig them out and do some comparisons. Should I get to that, I will update you with my findings. (It won't be within the next month, as I'm going to be on the road.)

Brian

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 am

The CD releases of "50 Worldwide Gold Hits, Vol.1" (1995) and "The Other Sides - Worldwide Gold Award Hits, Vol.2" (1996) are in Stereo.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 am

What is wrong with the links?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:24 am

I'll probably get jumped on for this, but the fact that Elvis approved of MONO mixes for release means absolutely nothing to me. To me, everything from the '50s sounds best in MONO and everything from "Elvis Is Back" on sounds best in stereo. I long for the day when the missing stereo masters from the movie "Follow That Dream" are found and released in stereo. And, who wouldn't like the stand-up and sit-down shows from the "Comeback Special" in stereo, sadly, IMO, recorded only in MONO?

MT

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 pm

A lot of the early seventies single mixes are very interesting. I know I like having both mono and stereo because I like to hear the different sound picture. All of them are a different experience. Incidently some of the fold downs for albums are not found on singles. Frankie And Johnny is different on the mono 45 than the LP for instance.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Claus wrote:Here are the seven 70s mono tracks from Worldwide Gold Hits Vol. 2.

I Really Don't Want To Know
I've Lost You
Patch It Up
The Next Step Is Love
The Wonder Of You
There Goes My Everything
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me

Hi Claus, is it possible to re-upload these files for I missed them in the first place. Thanks a lot!

Here's "Viva Las Vegas" in monaural - unfortunately the sound quality isn't too brilliant for I don't have the most expensive equipment to rip.
And it's been taken from the "Elvis In Demand" album (where it's the final track on Side 1, hence the so-called "Last Track Distortion).

08 - Viva Las Vegas (Mono).wav (File size: 12 MB)
http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/21317646/file.html

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Fail to see their appeal.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

In a 2007 interview Bobby Emmons said that horn sections were recorded separately for mono and stereo versions of "Suspicious Minds". You can find more about it here http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/690807ods.html.

IMHO mono is the way many of those 60's soundtracks (and studio sessions) were meant to be heard. I prefer mono over stereo anytime (50's/60's Elvis).

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Hi Claus, is it possible to re-upload these files for I missed them in the first place. Thanks a lot!

I only have The Next Step Is Love. I must have deleted the others.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/74re3p

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Wonder why they didn't do special mono mixes on E's recordings like George Martin did with the Beatles or Brian Wilson?instead of just fold downs?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:08 am

ritchie valens wrote:Wonder why they didn't do special mono mixes on E's recordings like George Martin did with the Beatles or Brian Wilson?instead of just fold downs?

IIRC, the fold-downs were only done in Nashville. At Radio Recorders they created special mono mixes.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 am

Interesting question and one, being a big vinyl collector I too have asked myself. I read somewhere recently, I can't remember where as I do a lot of reading, but I read of a conversation between Elvis and another entertainer ( TJ or EH perhaps ) where Elvis told them he preferred mono to stereo cos Mono just "hits you hard right in the chest" or something similar. I didn't get it as one of my first LPs was E I B in stereo, on vinyl and it's clarity and the drums going from speaker to speaker astounded me and I have been a stereo nut since ( aside from 50s stuff in Mono ) UNTIL just the other day I decided to give FEIM Legacy a spin for it's mono masters.

I played all of disc 2 at a reasonably loud level whilst reading, enjoying it thoroughly though as always wishing those sessions had a bit more fullness of sound ( for want of a better term when compared to E I B ) and then on came In The Ghetto Mono and BANG ............. it hit me "in the chest" !!!! The fullness of sound was so striking in those opening bars. I sat up, put the book down and took notice of mono for the first time in a long time. Some of the mixes sound quite different, one seemed to last longer ( I made no notes ) but all seemed to have more punch if you like ................... although I have to confess I still miss hearing different instruments from different speaker, I finally got what I think Elvis liked about Mono.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 am

It's more of a live sound to me, more kick in the drums and bass usually. That's why mono hits home especally on songs with a crunchy feel to them.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Here's "Viva Las Vegas" in monaural - unfortunately the sound quality isn't too brilliant for I don't have the most expensive equipment to rip.
And it's been taken from the "Elvis In Demand" album (where it's the final track on Side 1, hence the so-called "Last Track Distortion).

08 - Viva Las Vegas (Mono).wav (File size: 12 MB)
http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/21317646/file.html

This mono mix posting remixed to stereo here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65940#p979953
Last edited by MSpock on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.