Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Where Did They Go Lord

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Where Did They Go Lord ? do u think this deserved to be an A side release ? we know it was flip on the Rags To Riches / Where Did They Go Lord single, but the more i hear it i prefer it over Rags .......

Re: Where Did They Go Lord

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:52 pm

I like the song...same with me ..the more often I heard it ..the more I liked it..

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:57 pm

I like both songs! But, not single material imo! Surpisingly Rags To Riches managed to climb within top 10 in the UK. Looking back I wonder how on earth Elvis would pick songs like these for single releases. :?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Agree entirely bajo, imagine with better selections [esp later on] how many singles could have charted ?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:30 pm

I always loved this song and thought that it was a good example of an atypical Elvis song. Same thing with We Can Make The Morning. I first heard Where Did They Go Lord on the 1978 album Elvis Sings Songs of Faith and Inspiration. Even as a teenager I quickly figured out that the song was about desolation and loss and not something that really fit with the rest of the album. It makes you wonder if RCA actually listened to the song...

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:31 pm

I especially like the ending of the song..what a voice..!

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm

About twenty years ago it was the last master that was missing in my collection. When I found it on a bootleg CD ("Rough Cut Diamonds") and listened to it for the first time, I was close to tears.
Can't listen to the song right now, it only makes me miserable. Love it though.
Last edited by luckyjackson1 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm

bajo wrote:Looking back I wonder how on earth Elvis would pick songs like these for single releases. :?

I don't think that Elvis did choose the singles.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:23 pm

TJ wrote:
bajo wrote:Looking back I wonder how on earth Elvis would pick songs like these for single releases. :?

I don't think that Elvis did choose the singles.

Certainly - in his homeland - the vast majority of [regular] single releases were chosen by Elvis.

For the most part, he did okay.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:11 pm

I've always preferred "Where Did they Go, Lord?" Never liked "Rags To Riches." Gets the skip button a lot.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:46 pm

I like both songs, but single sides? No way. Not commercial at all.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:44 pm

The first version I've ever heard was the alternate take on "Essential Elvis, Vol.4" and I like it better than the master.
I enjoy the song, but it's not single material nor worthy of a greatest hits compilaion.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:46 pm

A nice version on FTDs NASHVILLE MARATHON cd too, are they diff takes ?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:06 pm

dennyelvis wrote:A nice version on FTDs NASHVILLE MARATHON cd too, are they diff takes ?

Same take (3), probably different mix.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:05 am

dennyelvis wrote:Where Did They Go Lord ? do u think this deserved to be an A side release ? we know it was flip on the Rags To Riches / Where Did They Go Lord single, but the more i hear it i prefer it over Rags .......

It appears to have been the original choice for the A-side, but pop radio liked "Rags to Riches" better. That a second-tier Frazier and Owens tune, with laborious melody and overwrought lyric, was slotted for A-side consideration amply displays how much the bar had dropped in just a year's time. It is a forgettable recording. At the beginning of 1970, the new Presley single was the magnificent "Kentucky Rain."

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:52 am

Both sides lacked any delicacy. Weren't these recorded at the same same session as whole lotta Shaking and snowbird. Seems like the amphetamines kicked in big time after snowbird. The 3 others that night were manic and crazed- a star losing his grip.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:01 am

A favorite of mine: it seems to speak to a feeling of lost ideals and end of an era. He commissioned it.

True, the session went badly, but I'm grateful for this. It feels like a swan song.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 am

I prefer it over Rags To Riches.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 am

I like it, but poor choice for a single. Elvis needed stronger single material in 71. Poor singles killed the momentum of 1969-70.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 am

I enjoy it, and like its gospel inspired arrangement, but it was not single material.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:Where Did They Go Lord ? do u think this deserved to be an A side release ? we know it was flip on the Rags To Riches / Where Did They Go Lord single, but the more i hear it i prefer it over Rags .......

It appears to have been the original choice for the A-side, but pop radio liked "Rags to Riches" better. That a second-tier Frazier and Owens tune, with laborious melody and overwrought lyric, was slotted for A-side consideration amply displays how much the bar had dropped in just a year's time. It is a forgettable recording. At the beginning of 1970, the new Presley single was the magnificent "Kentucky Rain."

I agree Doc, i mean 71, Elvis was still super hot in the public eye, and sang great too, but to release RAGS ? , i guess it did point the way to the steady decline in singles success , Burning Love just around the corner, but after that ? thank god for MY BOY !!!!!!!!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Rags to riches should have been the A-side, like the radio stations proved when they played this song instead of the regular A-side.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 pm

RCA should have really issued another single from Elvis Country, like I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water - something catchy and upbeat for the radio. The glaring omission from Elvis' single release schedule in 1970 through to Burning Love in 1972 is any kind of a real upbeat, vibey A-side. Every A-side was a slow or mid-tempo ballad of some sort. It's little wonder Burning Love saw the success it did, outside of being a great track. Ballad singles are fine - but release after release, with varying quality? Hmm.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Its Your Baby, You Rock It would have been my choice. A new song, catchy lyrics, good melody and in step with the times. The singles that were chosen after Wonder Of You boggles the mind. Patch It Up should have been kept for an A side as well. All new, hip material instead of remakes and heavy ballads they chose.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Elvis was really "into it" on that session :wink: