Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Tape speed

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi there, I would like to hear your opinion on a statement that Colonel Parker speeded up EVERY tape with Elvis. To me it sounds heartbreaking, have I spent all my years listening to speeded tapes? What I do know of course is that Guitar Man is speeded on the 60's Box from 1993, but I believe it sounds ok on The Complete Masters box from 2010. Some of the Girl Happy tracks were indeed speeded as well, but as for ALL recordings (!), what do you think. Could this be fixed, could someone with a musical ear confirm by the tunes of the songs, by comparing with a piano it should easily be confirmed whether or not the statement is true. I hope not! I can´t afford to buy everything all over again!

Re: Tape speed

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:29 pm

I've never heard this and I don't believe it.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Colonel Parker has been accused of a lot of things through the years but this is new to me.
Some Girl happy tracks were speeded up but that was because otherwise the LP sides would be over 10 minutes. :smt003

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:01 pm

drghanem wrote:Hi there, I would like to hear your opinion on a statement that Colonel Parker speeded up EVERY tape with Elvis. To me it sounds heartbreaking, have I spent all my years listening to speeded tapes? What I do know of course is that Guitar Man is speeded on the 60's Box from 1993, but I believe it sounds ok on The Complete Masters box from 2010. Some of the Girl Happy tracks were indeed speeded as well, but as for ALL recordings (!), what do you think. Could this be fixed, could someone with a musical ear confirm by the tunes of the songs, by comparing with a piano it should easily be confirmed whether or not the statement is true. I hope not! I can´t afford to buy everything all over again!

I think that's Bul-lshit.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Don't forget that he sped up the June 10th evening show at MSG!!! :shock:

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Some movie tracks were speeded up; they can be found on 80 rpm and some 78 rpm acetates.

colonel snow

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Don't forget that he sped up the June 10th evening show at MSG!!! :shock:

he sure did to excess in album sales - this is a known fact amongst us fans - You are right elvis fan - Ty for pointing this out buddy -

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 pm

This is not too unusual a practice- the much revered Robert Johnson blues masterpieces may have been sped up (possibly due to a faulty recording machine) making him sound a bit nasally. When slowed down to proper guitar pitch they reveal a more relaxed and powerful performance; there's some examples on the web. Carl Perkins' "Your True Love"(Sun 261) was sped up by Sam Phillips to make him sound younger. On the other hand, when I recorded ex Sun artist Malcolm Yelvington back in '95, I sped the tape up a bit; it tightened up the sound.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am

colonel snow wrote:Some movie tracks were speeded up; they can be found on 80 rpm and some 78 rpm acetates.

colonel snow

Are you implying that it was done by CTP ? It would have to have been the recording engineer's decision. Not Parker's forte.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 am

karlos wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Don't forget that he sped up the June 10th evening show at MSG!!! :shock:

he sure did to excess in album sales - this is a known fact amongst us fans - You are right elvis fan - Ty for pointing this out buddy -

????? What is that supposed to mean ?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 am

drghanem wrote:Hi there, I would like to hear your opinion on a statement that Colonel Parker speeded up EVERY tape with Elvis.

Who made this erroneous statement, please?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 am

drghanem wrote:Hi there, I would like to hear your opinion on a statement that Colonel Parker speeded up EVERY tape with Elvis. To me it sounds heartbreaking, have I spent all my years listening to speeded tapes? What I do know of course is that Guitar Man is speeded on the 60's Box from 1993, but I believe it sounds ok on The Complete Masters box from 2010. Some of the Girl Happy tracks were indeed speeded as well, but as for ALL recordings (!), what do you think. Could this be fixed, could someone with a musical ear confirm by the tunes of the songs, by comparing with a piano it should easily be confirmed whether or not the statement is true. I hope not! I can´t afford to buy everything all over again!

Hi, I like to highlight things in red :D

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 am

karlos wrote:

No, it's not a known fact amongst us fans

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:44 am

drghanem wrote:Hi there, I would like to hear your opinion on a statement that Colonel Parker speeded up EVERY tape with Elvis.

Who made the statement?

It is false.

karlos wrote:

karlos, elvis-fan was being facetious.

And you have got to stop posting false information on this forum. "a known fact amongst us fans"? No. The album was never speeded up, and that is a fact.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 am

drghanem wrote:I can´t afford to buy everything all over again!

No need...... you can always slow down the speed using the pitch control on your turntable.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 am

or by downloading audacity software.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:21 am

It's a bizarre and false statement.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:05 am

Bizarre. And so I suppose the How Great Thou Art album is "speeded up"?! LOL!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:47 am

rjm wrote:Bizarre. And so I suppose the How Great Thou Art album is "speeded up"?! LOL!

rjm

And the original "Slower" version of "Love Letters"..

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 am

joshferrell wrote:
rjm wrote:Bizarre. And so I suppose the How Great Thou Art album is "speeded up"?! LOL!

rjm

And the original "Slower" version of "Love Letters"..

No that was sped down. :lol:

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:23 am

The only people who insist that MSG was not speeded up are those who have never experimented to determine the truth. It WAS speeded up as any experimentation will show you. Much of EOT was speeded up also. Such a shame they speeded up the MSG footage to match the sound rather than slowing the audio to match the film.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:38 am

dannyboy1 wrote:The only people who insist that MSG was not speeded up are those who have never experimented to determine the truth. It WAS speeded up as any experimentation will show you. Much of EOT was speeded up also. Such a shame they speeded up the MSG footage to match the sound rather than slowing the audio to match the film.

Quit it.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 pm

I dare not name names please have mercy on me, but this fellow seems well informed on the subject, I actually felt quite ill when I heard about it. Someone with a musical ear could and should know how to determine if most of the Elvis Presley-catalogue was released in correct tuning, ie not speeded up. Can someone with piano-skill come forward. I of course hope it's all wrong, but even Priscilla's book mentions Elvis' animosity towards Parker and his decisions to speed up certain soundtracks. Guitar Man sounds speeded on the 60's Masters but normal on The Complete Elvis Presley Masters. Hopefully it's all a major exaggeration.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:13 pm

I do have a musical ear. Relax. The bulk of Elvis' fine musical output was released as recorded. If you play along with the songs, they are in the keys that you would expect.

To further settle your concerns, consider that very many songs have outtakes released and these outtakes are in the same key as the masters. That wouldn't be the case if the masters had been subject to speed changes.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 pm

dannyboy1 wrote:The only people who insist that MSG was not speeded up are those who have never experimented to determine the truth. It WAS speeded up as any experimentation will show you. Much of EOT was speeded up also. Such a shame they speeded up the MSG footage to match the sound rather than slowing the audio to match the film.