Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Joan Adams --> From Dating Disaster to Triumphant Reunion !

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 am

Since they were uploaded here, these 1957 Las Vegas photos of Elvis and Joan Adams have always intrigued the keen fan.

Who was she? What happened after that?

571000_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_02.JPG
571000_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_01.JPG
Joan Adams and Elvis, Sahara Hotel, Las Vegas, NV - October 1957

Well, at the time, Joan Adams was 1957's "Miss Nevada," and ended as second runner-up in that year's Miss USA Pageant. And she'd just made a network TV appearance on "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show" two weeks earlier.

The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show
"Too Much Pot Roast"
CBS-TV, Monday, October 7, 1957

Gracie's plan to improve Ronnie's marks in Greek history includes four beautiful models.

George Burns, Gracie Allen, Bea Benaderet, Larry Keating, Harry Von Zell, Ronnie Burns, Joan Adams (Miss Nevada), Marianne Gabe (Miss Illinois), Inger Jonsson (Miss Sweden), Lisa Simone (Miss France)

Research revealed that the 1957 date ... did not go too well for Presley:

100105_Baby Let's Play House_p 146.JPG
100105_Baby Let's Play House_p 147.JPG
100105_Baby Let's Play House_p 148.JPG
Alanna Nash, Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him (New York: HarperCollins, January 5, 2010 )

The lovely Joan continued to work for Milton Prell at the Sahara for several years, and married the Sahara Hotel's vice president, Alex Shoofey, on Sunday, October 21, 1962. They would have a daughter, Teri Lynn Shoofey, before divorcing in the 1970s. Her memories remain fond.

Joanie Shoofey, Miss Sahara

Mr. Prell was the owner of the Sahara and he loved me like a daughter. There were a lot of vice presidents at Sahara, and he said, if you marry Alex [Shoofey], I’ll pay for your wedding, your honeymoon and I’ll make Alex the president. We got married October 21, 1962. I picked the church that had the most parking, then the party was at the Sahara. We had an eight-tier wedding cake, and Mr. Prell was the best man. We invited 300 people; 500 showed up. When he first asked me to marry him, I said, if I’m not sick of you in six months, I’ll marry you. Everyone asked him, “Are you engaged to Joanie Adams?” And he said, “I’m on trial.”

I went to work as a cocktail waitress at the hotel when I was 18. I didn’t drink; I didn’t know Scotch from bourbon. I lied and said I was 21. I became Miss Sahara in 1956. When I started working there, there were only two stories. They kept building new stories and taking pictures of me on top of them. They took pictures of me on top of everything. I was Miss Sahara for seven years, and I got so much publicity. There wasn’t that at any other hotel. No Miss anything.

They took me on all these trips to bring people to the Sahara. I went all over the country and all over the world to bring conventions to the hotel. There was a luncheon every day and something every night. Everyone would come at night to see Louis Prima and Keely Smith, and I would always go back and see the show. I lived quite a life.

The good old days: Memories from Sahara employees who knew her well - Las Vegas Weekly
http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2011/may/12/good-old-days/

Shoofey, would move on to helm the Flamingo, and then open the International in 1969, getting Elvis signed to appear that year and beyond.

Interestingly, as implied by Alanna Nash, Joan would indeed meet Elvis again, at the press conference held immediately after his opening night performance at the International on July 31, 1969.

[ Images in next post! ]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Joan Adams --> From Dating Disaster to Triumphant Reunio

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:08 am

As husband Alex Shoofey introduces his wife, they seem cordial, but one wonders if Presley recalls their dating disaster of 12 years before. Probably not, given the triumph of his stage return just hours before.

690801_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_03.JPG
690801_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_02.JPG
690801_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_01.JPG
690801_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_04.JPG

Alex passed away in the summer of 2007, at the age of 91:
Alex Shoofey: 1916-2007 - Las Vegas Sun News
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2007/aug/31/alex-shoofey-1916-2007/

Joan is still going strong, a successful businesswoman and active member of Nevada society:
Joanie M. Shoofey Inducted into Cambridge Who's Who
http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/joanie-m-shoofey-inducted-into-cambridge-whos-who-executive-professional-and-entrepreneurial-registry-82171.php

091112_at Rock The Cure Benefit.JPG
Edward and Eleo Doumani with Rep. Shelley Berkley and Joanie Shoofey
The Mirage Event Center - Thursday, November 12, 2009

More than 900 prominent guests enjoyed an evening of entertainment with Larry King, Jay Leno and Terry Fator at the eighth annual Rock for the Cure event, benefitting the Nevada Cancer Institute. Attendees dined on culinary delights from chefs Brian Massie, Julian Serrano, Jeff Braun and Everett Williams. Following dinner, a live auction included items such as Magic Johnson’s seats for a Lakers game, dinner with Eva Longoria Parker, and a brand-new Jaguar, and helped raise $2 million for the institute.

http://vegasmagazine.com/galleries/rock-for-the-cure

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:55 am

Thanks for a great post, Doc.
Nice that you included the update on Joanie Shoofey.
Love how the roles seem to have changed by 1969 ... Elvis seems to have become quite worldly, while Joan seems to have reverted to the adoring fan.
When you see a contemporary of Elvis still enjoying life, it really brings home the tragedy of Elvis dying so young.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:01 am

TCB TED wrote:Thanks for a great post, Doc.
Love how the roles seem to have changed by 1969 ... Elvis seems to have become quite worldly, while Joan seems to have reverted to the adoring fan.
When you see a contemporary of Elvis still enjoying life, it really brings home the tragedy of Elvis dying so young.

I agree well said.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:02 am

Thanks for posting this doc

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:07 am

Again, a very nice post, DOC. A piece of Elvis history that I previously did not know. I appreciate the work and information. Thank you.

rlj

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:39 am

Cool photos of her and Elvis in 1957. What a beauty. Two great looking people together in 1957 and in 1969. Thanks.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for such a great post, Doc. Wonderful pictures of Elvis and this lovely woman. I think she even looks better in 1969 with Elvis.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Great work Doc. Much appreciated!!

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Cool post Doc. It's great to read details about the people who crossed paths with Elvis. I wonder what she thought of Elvis seeing him in 69. I bet she thought he turned out rather well.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks a lot for that informative article, Doc!

Is it just me or does Elvis look a little uncomfortable with her company on these '69 pics? :wink:

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 am

TCB TED wrote:Thanks for a great post, Doc.

Thanks, TCB TED.

Joanie's perspective has indeed changed in the dozen years since they dated.

Of course, she had just seen Elvis blow the roof off of the International Hotel showroom -- the 7-31-1969 OS -- and was probably still shocked. And stunned.

Very stunned.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:34 am

Great post John!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Another kickass topic thanks Doc!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Very enjoyable topic. Great rechearch here. Thanks for posting!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks, Doc !

It´s great ! :smt023

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Great ...superb, thanks for taking the time to post.

David

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 am

Great informative post doc,much appreciated.BTW she was an absolute stunner with a lovely smile.

norrie

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:31 pm

sooner wrote:Thanks for posting this doc

My pleasure.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:57 am

rlj4ep wrote:Again, a very nice post, DOC. A piece of Elvis history that I previously did not know. I appreciate the work and information. Thank you.

rlj

Making the connection was a surprise to me as well!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:As husband Alex Shoofey introduces his wife, they seem cordial, but one wonders if Presley recalls their dating disaster of 12 years before. Probably not, given the triumph of his stage return just hours before.

690801_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_03.JPG
690801_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_02.JPG
690801_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_01.JPG
690801_w Joan Adams_Las Vegas_04.JPG

Alex passed away in the summer of 2007, at the age of 91:
Alex Shoofey: 1916-2007 - Las Vegas Sun News
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2007/aug/31/alex-shoofey-1916-2007/

Joan is still going strong, a successful businesswoman and active member of Nevada society:
Joanie M. Shoofey Inducted into Cambridge Who's Who
http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/joanie-m-shoofey-inducted-into-cambridge-whos-who-executive-professional-and-entrepreneurial-registry-82171.php

091112_at Rock The Cure Benefit.JPG
Edward and Eleo Doumani with Rep. Shelley Berkley and Joanie Shoofey
The Mirage Event Center - Thursday, November 12, 2009

More than 900 prominent guests enjoyed an evening of entertainment with Larry King, Jay Leno and Terry Fator at the eighth annual Rock for the Cure event, benefitting the Nevada Cancer Institute. Attendees dined on culinary delights from chefs Brian Massie, Julian Serrano, Jeff Braun and Everett Williams. Following dinner, a live auction included items such as Magic Johnson’s seats for a Lakers game, dinner with Eva Longoria Parker, and a brand-new Jaguar, and helped raise $2 million for the institute.

http://vegasmagazine.com/galleries/rock-for-the-cure

Great read and new to me. Thanks. This kind of stuff is better than all the expensive book that are out there!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 pm

very informative, thanks, i bet in 69 she was wishing she could!! EP looks a bit sheepish alright, bet there weren't too many who turned him down, so I am sure he remembered!

:facep:

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:42 am

stevelecher wrote:Cool photos of her and Elvis in 1957. What a beauty. Two great looking people together in 1957 and in 1969. Thanks.

Yes, they were both striking -- very nice smiles, each!

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:43 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Thanks for such a great post, Doc. Wonderful pictures of Elvis and this lovely woman. I think she even looks better in 1969 with Elvis.

I agree! And she is still beautiful today.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks a lot for that informative article, Doc!

Is it just me or does Elvis look a little uncomfortable with her company on these '69 pics? :wink:

I wonder as well, but after the press conference Elvis meeted and greeted probably a hundred people, so that might explain his distraction. But I'll be he remembered the date, on some level.