Off Topic Messages

Ali vs. Norton III

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 am

phpBB [video]

People like to say Norton was robbed in this one. Personally, I just watched it again and it was really a close fight. It was a fight that could have easily been Norton's, but I wouldn't call it complete highway robbery. I had it 7 for Ali, 5 for Norton, and 3 Even. One of those even rounds could have gone to Ali, two of them to Norton - which would make it more like the 8-7 vote the judges voted. At the same time, you could have easily scored it 7-5-3 for Norton as well. In other words, I don't think it was a "gift decision" for Ali - but it was a fight Norton could have easily won. I just didn't think Norton pulled out the fifteen round, because Ali danced and jabbed for 2:40 seconds. Most of Norton's final punches are blocked or grabbed. Many will disagree, even today - but I don't call it as controversial as some would.

Re: Ali vs. Norton III

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Norton always gave Ali trouble due to his boxing style (same with Joe Frazier) but the judges had it right in my opinion. 8-7 to Ali.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Is this the same match where Ali wore the robe that Elvis gave him? My computer isn't letting me see the videos....:(

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Is this the same match where Ali wore the robe that Elvis gave him? My computer isn't letting me see the videos....:(

Tony, I think that was the first Norton fight.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:38 pm

The fight was close, without a doubt but judges got it right imo.

Ali as the heavyweight champion. Ken Norton, on the other hand, wasn’t.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Is this the same match where Ali wore the robe that Elvis gave him? My computer isn't letting me see the videos....:(

Nope, that was this one [if you can see it]

phpBB [video]

Now that was a different fight. Ali's corner claimed Norton broke his jaw in the 1st (Dundee, afterwards) or 2nd (Pacheco, afterwards) while Norton always felt it was the shot near the end of the 12th, while others note the 11th. Cosell noted something wrong with Ali's mouth in the 8th Round, and Pacheco during the fight just said it was a loose tooth. The way Pacheco fumbled over his words, though, I still think something happened around that time - but Ali didn't start bleeding visibly until Round 12. Ali looked as lathartic as he did in most of his 1976 Championship fights. Without the dubbed version of the fight where Pacheco keeps harping on Ali's jaw - Ali just looks out of shape. Jaw could have been broken in Round 2, but since I know nothing of jaw fractures - I can't really respond. 8-4 for Norton easily in the first fight in March 1973. Might have been able to draw a few rounds, but this was one where Ali never did anything. If the jaw break in round 2 was legit, then that would explain it. The corner admitted it was the first round right after the fight. Norton still feels to this day it was a story to make Ali look good, and make his victory over him not have as much meaning. Norton would have probably gotten Ali in 1978 if the alleged 4th fight had taken place before the Spinks fight situation happened. Norton was a good fighter. Some of the hardest punchers could knock him out (Foreman, Shavers) - but he always gave Ali trouble. I think Ali cleanly beat him once (the second fight), and did enough to retain in the third one (Maybe I'm biased, but many think Norton won that last round - while half of his offense got blocked or held).

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Pete Dube wrote:

Tony, I think that was the first Norton fight.

Thanks, Pete....I guess I need to brush up on my Ali history. I have read that he's not doing well at all health-wise and it's possible that he's not going to be long for this world...:( What a sad day that will be.....:(