Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rita Moreno mentions Elvis in new book

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 pm

After clicking this link:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/w ... 9agPkWkJ/1

Scroll down till you see:

"During their relationship, he married twice and fathered children with his wives.

But “I couldn’t stay away. In fact, I was becoming addicted to the challenge of winning him over and over again,” Moreno says.

Often the way to win him over was to date other men. Moreno took up with a disappointing Dennis Hopper, then with “a human missile . . . Elvis.”

“I knew no one could possibly make Marlon Brando more jealous,” she writes.

During a particularly bad rough patch with Brando — she had discovered a woman’s nightgown in Brando’s closet — Moreno read a gossip item about Presley wanting to meet her. To spite Brando, she agreed. (Ironically, Presley was “obsessed” with Brando and even styled himself after Brando’s “The Wild One” character.)

But the King was no match for Brando.

“My dates . . . nearly always concluded in a tender tussle on my living-room floor, with Elvis’ pelvis in that famous gyration straining against his taut trousers. I could feel him thrust against my clothed body, and expecting the next move . . . but it never came,” she writes.

“Grinding” was all Elvis wanted to do. According to other girls, it seemed to be his modus operandi. He liked to cuddle with his teenage fans or watch girl-on-girl action. But no sex.

“Maybe Elvis was inhibited by inbred religious prohibitions or an Oedipal complex, or maybe he simply preferred the thrill of a denied release. Whatever put the brakes on the famous pelvis, it ground to a halt at a certain point and that was it,” she writes.

One day, while watching him devour a peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich, she realized he might have been more attracted to the snack than her. She never saw him again and went straight back into Brando’s arms."

Re: Rita Moreno mentions Elvis in new book

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:38 pm

I bet she never saw him eat a peanut butter, banana sandwich. That rings false to me and plays into the stereotypical view of Elvis. A little embellishment and I love the psychoanalysis.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Rita Moreno is crazy.

I've seen her on television several times and she's always running down someone.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 pm

elvis4life wrote:After clicking this link:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/when_rita_met_marlon_bcVUsd8kZrJiar9agPkWkJ/1

Let's first note this clip comes from the garbage can daily known as the New York Post.

And also note that Rita's autobiography has not yet been published.

130305_Rita Moreno A Memoir.JPG
Rita Moreno: A Memoir (New York: Celebra, March 5, 2013)

---

Rita Moreno is a great actress, one of the only to win an Emmy, Grammy, Tony and Oscar.

Rita Moreno
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Moreno

When Rita was younger, she shared a very obsessive, dysfunctional relationship with actor Marlon Brando. As others have noted, her memories of dating Elvis seem clouded by cliché and disinterest. She was 4 years older than him, already an industry veteran, and their brief dating was never meant to be much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:56 am

B.S.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 am

stevelecher wrote:I bet she never saw him eat a peanut butter, banana sandwich. That rings false to me and plays into the stereotypical view of Elvis. A little embellishment and I love the psychoanalysis.

My thoughts exactly. Total and utter shite,I suspect.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:52 am

Yes! Maybe elvis had no interest for her simply! :)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Maybe they never dated at all!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm starting to think that whenever anyone says that they have a story to impart about E.P. to the media,whether it be tabloids,books, or t.v. and radio interviews, that there is a clause in the contract that says they HAVE to mention either peanut butter sandwiches, cheeseburgers, prescription drugs, obesity, jumpsuits or Elvis singing to them in the shower,with a few "ah huh huh's" and "thankyaverramutch's" thrown in for good measure. This kind of tiresome rhetoric got stale a long time ago. Stupid, plain and simple.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Let's assume for a moment that what she says is but the God honest truth. It dovetails nicely with what other Hollywood stars have said about his relationship with them, the key variable, always present in the cases of Debra Paget, Natalie Wood, Rita Moreno, Juliet Prowse, Connie Stevens, Peggy Lipton and lastly, Cybill Shepard being the non surprising fact that they all were known to Elvis, via his watching their films, or TV series, BEFORE he actually met them.

This brings the matter of Presley's advanced expectations of them, not just theirs' of him. A not very usual happening, and tricky, isn't it? Ok, so in addition Presley knew, as he did in the cases of Natalie Wood, Debra Paget, Juliet Prowse and Rita Moreno, that they were or had been recently involved (when he met or dated them), with mega known celebrities as James Dean, Howard Hughes, Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando, respectively. Moreover, maybe the idea he had of them, from seeing them, as I said, on film, or on TV, was not the one they delivered, in person, either. Furthermore, Presley knew that, in some of these cases, his career could be jeopardized, had he made the foolish move of involving himself deeply in a triangle, with no particular gain to him ( as the then still young Presley had, and consurrently, a myriad of other woman at his disposal), with such known and, as we all have learnt, vindictive characters as Hughes, Sinatra and Brando at the other end of the triangle.

Now, let's assume she's not telling the whole truth. He only saw her, say, in a film studio, had a coffee, went to her dressing room, or his, and something developed along these lines, but not with the frequency she mentions. I prefer this version.

Her having told Brando that Elvis dated her must be, however, the reason ( which had escaped me, for three decades) for Brando's furious badmouthing of Presley in the weeks following his death. "A racist, stealer of black music who never did anything for anyone else in his life, and who indulged himself to death", or something to that effect, was Brando's reply to a newspaper man who asked his opinion on Elvis Presley.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:Now, let's assume she's not telling the whole truth. He only saw her, say, in a film studio, had a coffee, went to her dressing room, or his, and something developed along these lines, but not with the frequency she mentions. I prefer this version.

The facts speak to Rita's recounting of a few dates. They were reported in the press at the time (February-March 1957). It is always best to stick to facts, not baseless assumptions.

Jaime1234 wrote:Her having told Brando that Elvis dated her must be, however, the reason ( which had escaped me, for three decades) for Brando's furious badmouthing of Presley in the weeks following his death. "A racist, stealer of black music who never did anything for anyone else in his life, and who indulged himself to death", or something to that effect, was Brando's reply to a newspaper man who asked his opinion on Elvis Presley.

It is very tiresome to read unattributed, direct quotes that are likely false in nature. Case-in-point: your Brando comment. Please direct us to where this was printed, or please refrain from posting fiction. Thank you.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 pm

She was quite a looker in her day, wasn't she?

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Rob wrote:Image

She was quite a looker in her day, wasn't she?

Beautiful and talented then, beautiful and talented now.

110000_Rita Moreno.JPG
Rita Moreno Life Without Makeup | The Broadway Critic Blog
http://thebroadwaycriticblog.com/tag/rita-moreno-life-without-makeup/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 am

Jaime1234 wrote:Let's assume for a moment that what she says is but the God honest truth. It dovetails nicely with what other Hollywood stars have said about his relationship with them, the key variable, always present in the cases of Debra Paget, Natalie Wood, Rita Moreno, Juliet Prowse, Connie Stevens, Peggy Lipton and lastly, Cybill Shepard being the non surprising fact that they all were known to Elvis, via his watching their films, or TV series, BEFORE he actually met them. .

Except not all of them have said similar things that Rita Moreno has said.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:24 am

brian wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:Let's assume for a moment that what she says is but the God honest truth. It dovetails nicely with what other Hollywood stars have said about his relationship with them, the key variable, always present in the cases of Debra Paget, Natalie Wood, Rita Moreno, Juliet Prowse, Connie Stevens, Peggy Lipton and lastly, Cybill Shepard being the non surprising fact that they all were known to Elvis, via his watching their films, or TV series, BEFORE he actually met them. .

Not all of them, but Wood, Stevens, Lipton and Shepaard have

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:Now, let's assume she's not telling the whole truth. He only saw her, say, in a film studio, had a coffee, went to her dressing room, or his, and something developed along these lines, but not with the frequency she mentions. I prefer this version.

The facts speak to Rita's recounting of a few dates. They were reported in the press at the time (February-March 1957). It is always best to stick to facts, not baseless assumptions.

Jaime1234 wrote:Her having told Brando that Elvis dated her must be, however, the reason ( which had escaped me, for three decades) for Brando's furious badmouthing of Presley in the weeks following his death. "A racist, stealer of black music who never did anything for anyone else in his life, and who indulged himself to death", or something to that effect, was Brando's reply to a newspaper man who asked his opinion on Elvis Presley.

It is very tiresome to read unattributed, direct quotes that are likely false in nature. Case-in-point: your Brando comment. Please direct us to where this was printed, or please refrain from posting fiction. Thank you.

I don't provide quotes in reply to requests (LOL), made by pompous individuals like you. Even if you used the word please two times in your last message, that is not enough. Try it again, or please do your own research and you'll find it. It's a filmed interview...

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:53 am

Jaime1234 wrote:
brian wrote:

Not all of them, but Wood, Stevens, Lipton and Shepaard have

I've only heard Natalie say similar things but she's quoted as saying nice things about Elvis as well.

The only thing i've heard Connie say about Elvis is that she didn't like the Memphis mafia hanging out with them during dates.

She wasn't negative about dating Elvis like Rita Moreno has been.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Jaime1234 wrote: I don't provide quotes in reply to requests ...

Another thing you don't provide: insight.

Thanks for underscoring that the Brando comment is just a load of tosh, as I suspected.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:41 pm

In his autobiography Words my Mother taught me Brando does indeed bash Elvis and and say he stole black music and calls him a drug addict. It did make me feel a little sad that he felt this way because I have always read how much Elvis admired him.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:47 pm

I recall Rita on some talk show about 10 or 15 years ago and she does mention meeting Elvis.

And the movie mags of that era mention Elvis and Rita dating.

I think Elvis liked female company, but he was able to seperate woman that he considered a romantic interest as opposed
to woman that he just considered spending some time with.

I don't think Elvis considered her a serious date.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:40 am

Bill B wrote:In his autobiography Words my Mother taught me Brando does indeed bash Elvis and and say he stole black music and calls him a drug addict. It did make me feel a little sad that he felt this way because I have always read how much Elvis admired him.

Although there is no Brando autobiography with that title, and paraphrasing from it does not enlighten anyone, you point us in the right direction. So thank you. This is the book:

Brando Songs My Mother Taught Me - Robert Lindsey.jpg
Songs My Mother Taught Me (book)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_My_Mother_Taught_Me_(book)

The citation on Elvis is brief -- just a paragraph -- and mischaracterized.

Brando's comments are NOT about his belief that Elvis is a thief or racist, but rather about the myopic fans who put Presley on a pedestal, in lieu of the reality of his influences and impact:

940903_Brando Songs My Mother Taught Me_p218.jpg

Thus, there appears to be no examples of Brando's "badmouthing of Presley in the weeks following his death" at all. Rather, we find an observation about certain Presley fans, in an autobiography published 17 years later.

As always, the truth is worth pursuing, if one cares enough.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:47 am

Absolute B.S.
Rita never evr dated Elvis - total Crap from a co star who is selling her biography just ta make megabucks -

Perhaps she will get Less than 50,000 Copies Sold - Lol
I certainly aint interested in this tripe - Ty very much - Lmao :smt003 :smt003

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 am

karlos wrote:Absolute B.S.
Rita never evr dated Elvis - total Crap from a co star who is selling her biography just ta make megabucks -

Perhaps she will get Less than 50,000 Copies Sold - Lol
I certainly aint interested in this tripe - Ty very much - Lmao :smt003 :smt003

Can you try a little harder, karlos?

It is a FACT that they dated. They are mentioned being together in the press back in early 1957.

It is also a FACT that Rita Moreno is one of the most acclaimed actresses of the past fifty years.

I posted all this information above. Your post tells me you don't care what others write on this forum. I hope I am wrong.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Bill B wrote:In his autobiography Words my Mother taught me Brando does indeed bash Elvis and and say he stole black music and calls him a drug addict. It did make me feel a little sad that he felt this way because I have always read how much Elvis admired him.

Although there is no Brando autobiography with that title, and paraphrasing from it does not enlighten anyone, you point us in the right direction. So thank you. This is the book:

Brando Songs My Mother Taught Me - Robert Lindsey.jpg
Songs My Mother Taught Me (book)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_My_Mother_Taught_Me_(book)

The citation on Elvis is brief -- just a paragraph -- and mischaracterized.

Brando's comments are NOT about his belief that Elvis is a thief or racist, but rather about the myopic fans who put Presley on a pedestal, in lieu of the reality of his influences and impact:

940903_Brando Songs My Mother Taught Me_p218.jpg

Thus, there appears to be no examples of Brando's "badmouthing of Presley in the weeks following his death" at all. Rather, we find an observation about certain Presley fans, in an autobiography published 17 years later.

As always, the truth is worth pursuing, if one cares enough.

While it's true Brando isn't saying anything about his music that Elvis didn't say himself, it is harsh in its intent. Elvis as a mere myth, not an historically significant figure.

The main point being is that Elvis did nothing deserving of honor in his own country. That he created nothing of special value, and that his personal failings, which his blinded fans do not acknowledge, should also disqualify him as historically worthy.

He should have known better than that, in my view.

I do not begrudge Brando his honor as the most iconic (and likely most talented) American actor because of

1. His personal failings, which are well-known, nor because

2. He learned his craft, at least in part, by studying the work of the great actors who came before him.

If a militant black activist such as Eldridge Cleaver could celebrate and understand the nature of Elvis's achievement, Brando ought to have been similarly capable.

Perhaps she succeeded in making him jealous. (That was a cheap shot. I'm, uh, sorry. ;) ) Look, I don't hold it against him. I admire the man. But his statements on this are wrong. And if he'd gotten to know Elvis, he never would have said or written any such thing.

rjm
P.S. -- As far as the lady, I don't see what she said that was so bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:25 pm

rjm wrote:While it's true Brando isn't saying anything about his music that Elvis didn't say himself, it is harsh in its intent.

Brando came of age during the mid-forties, the Big Band era. His opinions mirror those of his generation. When I look for insightful writing on popular music, post-1955, his thoughts do not come to mind.