burning, ripping, decoding ,codec'', etc..
Moderators: promiseland/JimmyCool

Forum rules

Forum rules
Note: Before any posting relating to Software is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL SOFTWARE must be Legal in accordance to Copyrights and Licensing per Vender . If we become aware, the material you are linking or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Mp3 Tagging - ID3

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:39 pm

ID3 is a metadata container most often used in conjunction with the MP3 audio file format. It allows information such as the title, artist, album, track number, and other information about the file to be stored in the file itself.

Tagging MP3's and other audio files is very important when it come to reading them in devices such as IPod's, and Android based systems, and other media players. Although most all players will still play your MP3's untagged they will not have access to display the artist, album info, or track listings, as most will show an untagged audio file as "Unknown Artist"

Most CD Rippers such as Windows Media Player will automatically tag the MP3's as they are ripped, as long as they are able to access this info online, which most do automatically by simply reading to CD, and matching the content from their music data bases.
However, those who rip to MP3 either by LP, radio, or any other non CD (digital) source, will wind up with a compilation of untagged MP3's, that will have no certain playback order, or artist information to read in these media players.

These media files will then have to be manually tagged, which is simple to do.
Below is the details information on an MP3 that can be viewed, and edited by clicking on it's "Properties". (right click on the MP3)
These 4 boxes must be filled out correctly and spelling must be exact for Artist and Album name for each MP3 that is part of the same Album, or they will not store in the same folder on the playing device to be played consecutively.

Here is a full version that is free of a program called ID3-TagIT that will make your job much easier if you have several batches to tag.
It can be downloaded here: http://download.cnet.com/ID3-TagIT/3000 ... 44467.html
(Be sure to decline all the free software that will be offered at the beginning of this install, it's the way they keep it free)

It's very simple to use and will save a lot of time if you have several albums that need tagged.

ID3-TagIT

To read and understand more on ID3 Tags and it's history and purpose look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

Re: Mp3 Tagging - ID3

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Nice! I use MP3Tag, it works with FLAC files also:
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It works fine, but I'll give a try to ID3-TagIT to see if it's better.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:43 am

A little info: the new, "improved" version of the free ITunes program not only looks very different from earlier versions, it has made a few messes concerning certain CDs. Just a few, but I guess it messed up the tagging info, most likely, because most of one album is now missing, in at least one case, and in a few others, the info would disappear and have to be replaced (particularly cover art). Just something that maybe people noticed. It seems like a completely new interface for ITunes, and they are getting the bugs out. I think it's stable now, but I have to reimport something, which is a drag when you're still importing newer stuff.

Also, I think there is software for LP ripping, that when the tracks are properly separated, IDs them from a database. Don't have the name or names. Perhaps someone knows.

rjm

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 am

JimmyCool wrote:Nice! I use MP3Tag, it works with FLAC files also:

Thanks to Jimmy, I use MP3Tag all the time and it's great! Esp to those who make their own compiliations, you can bunch songs together and include the album name to say anthing you want. You can do them all in one shot.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 am

JimmyCool wrote:Nice! I use MP3Tag, it works with FLAC files also:

MP3Tag is best, although it might be a little more complicated to use for some, I Iove the Flac support very cool!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:35 am

Along the same lines, it's tagging that properly identifies a CD audiobook from a music file. Once I'm back on the big machine, I'll describe the process: which is surprisingly simple! It's important to use this aspect of tagging, if you want to hear books properly on your IPod. The music pauses for the book, and vice-versa. So you keep your place.

Tagging is really awesome. :D

rjm

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:11 pm

JimmyCool wrote:I use MP3Tag

I use this a lot......its great and I dont need any other software.
It support adding cover art to each file as well.