Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What about the FTD linernotes

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 am

The ftd cd’s are my most favorite cd’s in my collection.
I like the them because i see them as an uprgraded album
for my feeling i like the complete package, the music , the memrobilia ,artwork,but most important the linersnotes.

I was not impressed by the liner notes from From Elvis Presley Boulevard, and also Back in Memphis was a little disappointed, I like the linernotes from 3000 South Paradise Road and strangely enough I find the liner notes of "Hits Of The 70's" very interesting.

But what do you think about the linernotes from the ftd cd's, Do you read them, do you think they are informative and which linernotes do you like best.
Do you criticize, Or maybe they ad a new insight.

A friend of mine said to me , nobody read them, but i dont think that is true
I'll hope that you share your opinion about the FTD linernotes
Last edited by thermoking on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: What about the FTD linernotes

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am

I rarely read the liner notes. If a devoted enthusiast doesn't already know the back-story; then certainly the basic, informative notes from the FTD classic album series should suffice.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:03 am

For my eyes, "He Touched Me" was a disaster, the font was too small for my eyes.
I had to scan the text to know what was written, but that's a problem when you get older.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 am

thermoking wrote:Do you criticize

No... we don't do that here...

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 am

the liner notes for 3000 Paradise Road were EXCELLENT! :)

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 am

elvis-fan wrote:
thermoking wrote:Do you criticize

No... we don't do that here...

priceless :lol:

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 am

Liner notes ? What liner notes ?? I don't need no stinkin' liner notes ! ...And I'm not too crazy about them badges either !

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:21 am

Good liner notes are a delight.

"Elvis" and "His Hand In Mine" are, for example, beautiful essays that illuminate the LP's in question.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 am

thermoking wrote:I'll hope that you share your opinion about the FTD linernotes

Liner notes have never been a priority for the Follow That Dream label, as clearly stated by Ernst back in 1999.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Liner notes have never been a priority for the Follow That Dream label, as clearly stated by Ernst back in 1999.

Quite correct, but it's a lost art in my opinion.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 am

I read all the info, but there isn't much there. Since FTD is designed for die-hard fans, they must figure we know all about it anyway.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:17 am

I like the FTD booklets and read every word in them. I probably haven't learned that much from them but it's part of the package and I like them.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 am

stevelecher wrote:I like the FTD booklets and read every word in them.

Me too. "Elvis Sings Memphis, Tennessee" for example is very worthwhile in putting the sessions in to perspective. Elvis' life and work, in proper context is often overlooked by many.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:16 am

The liner notes of 3000 Paradise Road were written by a true expert. It was very interesting to read.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am

The linernotes are not that important, but a nice read when I play the albums for the first time. The memorabilia and facts are almost more important to me. But, as with most people, it's the music that really counts. So, I must admit that I can easily live with whatever linernotes included. For the most part I'm very happy with the classic format and package. The original albums with outtakes have always been a dream, and it came true! :)

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 pm

I always read the liner notes

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:46 am

I'm glad for the booklets for the pictures and stuff, but as for reading the liner notes the print is generally to small for my eyes.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 am

keninlincs wrote:I always read the liner notes

Ditto.

I never learn anything, but I always read 'em.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 am

Rob wrote:
keninlincs wrote:I always read the liner notes

Ditto.

I never learn anything, but I always read 'em.

ADHD ?

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 am

How are the liner notes for "Hits of the 70's"?

If they're good, I might just be tempted.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I think there is progression,
I like the liner notes of "3000 South Paradise Road"and "Fourty Eight Hours To Memphis" from the team Robert Frieser/Hans Slebos.
But also "Live In Las Vegas august 26 1969 dinner show" with the essay from Ann Moses Marino
When you read and at the same time you listen to music , it place you back in time.

But here are you right John, most of the time they are disappointing.
for example my most favorite cd "Elvis Is Back". I have the DCC Gold cd and the FTD with a great tracklisting
The Gold cd has a fantastic insight in the recording session from Bill Porter, The FTD has a day by day aslo very nice
but it could have been better.is mine opinion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:46 pm

thermoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I think there is progression,
I like the liner notes of "3000 South Paradise Road"and "Fourty Eight Hours To Memphis" from the team Robert Frieser/Hans Slebos.
But also "Live In Las Vegas august 26 1969 dinner show" with the essay from Ann Moses Marino
When you read and at the same time you listen to music , it place you back in time.

for example my most favorite cd "Elvis Is Back". I have the DCC Gold cd and the FTD with a great tracklisting
The Gold cd has a fantastic insight in the recording session from Bill Porter, The FTD has a day by day aslo very nice
but it could have been better.is mine opinion

You miss my point.

When Ernst Jorgensen launched the fan-only, Follow That Dream label over 10 years ago, liner notes and other standard retail frills were not part of the equation. It was about the music, and that's about it.

In 2013, this basic business model remains. If you find notes or whatnot on certain FTD releases, those are bonuses.

In other words, complaining about liner notes is silly, because they are not part of the plan.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:18 pm

but it could have been better.is mine opinion[/quote]

You miss my point.

When Ernst Jorgensen launched the fan-only, Follow That Dream label over 10 years ago, liner notes and other standard retail frills were not part of the equation. It was about the music, and that's about it.

In 2013, this basic business model remains. If you find notes or whatnot on certain FTD releases, those are bonuses.

In other words, complaining about liner notes is silly, because they are not part of the plan.[/quote]

I'm not complaining though, but I just love the complete package
I see also the attention they have given to the last cd's and I appreciate that.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:16 am

thermoking wrote:I'm not complaining though, but I just love the complete package ...

Who doesn't? ;-)

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 am

The first releases from FTD came in a 5" digipack and were mostly single discsc - now they come in a 7" digipack with a booklet.

Maybe the FTD policy changed after almost 14 years.