Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTDs Frankie And Johnny Soundtack CD will be re-released

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:14 pm

FTD should re-do the "Elvis Today" classic album (and leave Lene Reidel out of the project). That I would buy again.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:57 am

Mike DK wrote:FTD should re-do the "Elvis Today" classic album (and leave Lene Reidel out of the project). That I would buy again.

I would also re-invest in "Today" if the material is treated in the manner the likes of "Raised on Rock" and "Good Times" have been - ie. dedicated personnel mixing and mastering the product and putting some thought into the sequencing. The "6363 Sunset Material" category on disc 2 always came across as lazy.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:08 am

Matthew wrote:
Mike DK wrote:FTD should re-do the "Elvis Today" classic album (and leave Lene Reidel out of the project). That I would buy again.

I would also re-invest in "Today" if the material is treated in the manner the likes of "Raised on Rock" and "Good Times" have been - ie. dedicated personnel mixing and mastering the product and putting some thought into the sequencing. The "6363 Sunset Material" category on disc 2 always came across as lazy.

True. One thing to consider is that Today was one of the first '70s Classic Album Series reissues. Perhaps the issues that arguably plagued that release were taken into account and revised when additional '70s reissues were presented via the Classic Album Series.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:26 am

midnightx wrote:True. One thing to consider is that Today was one of the first '70s Classic Album Series reissues. Perhaps the issues that arguably plagued that release were taken into account and revised when additional '70s reissues were presented via the Classic Album Series.

Had "Elvis is Back!" not come out 3 months prior to "Today" I might chalk it up to the early days but that the "Elvis is Back!" release was so well executed one can tell which received a good deal of effort and which was largely thrown together with little zeal.

Both ends of the spectrum are represented a short 3 months apart - one provides audiophile quality audio, expertly prepared and compiled, and the other provides inconsistent quality audio, haphazardly prepared with some material simply pulled from other CD sources, seeminly thrown together quickly. The saving grace of that title were the vintage rough mixes.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:54 am

Matthew wrote:
midnightx wrote:True. One thing to consider is that Today was one of the first '70s Classic Album Series reissues. Perhaps the issues that arguably plagued that release were taken into account and revised when additional '70s reissues were presented via the Classic Album Series.

Had "Elvis is Back!" not come out 3 months prior to "Today" I might chalk it up to the early days but that the "Elvis is Back!" release was so well executed one can tell which received a good deal of effort and which was largely thrown together with little zeal.

Both ends of the spectrum are represented a short 3 months apart - one provides audiophile quality audio, expertly prepared and compiled, and the other provides inconsistent quality audio, haphazardly prepared with some material simply pulled from other CD sources, seeminly thrown together quickly. The saving grace of that title were the vintage rough mixes.

I was referring to the early days of "70s" reissues. Ernst clearly has a passion for the '60s, more so than the '70s. He had other enthusiasts like Sebastian Jeansson working on Elvis Is Back!. The Today reissue was clearly not done with the same kind of care and passion. However, there were plenty of complaints and clearly a new level attention was given to future '70s reissues. Today stands solely as the weakest '70s reissue.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:21 am

The same can also be said with the Memphis concert.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:06 am

TCB-FAN wrote:

"Today" I would buy again if redone. I'm fine with "Recorded Live In Memphis" as released.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:42 am

JerryNodak wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

"Today" I would buy again if redone. I'm fine with "Recorded Live In Memphis" as released.

You mean you don't want the false-start for Help Me?

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:19 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:The mix on the DF series is superb, the mastering is obsolete.

Agree - both for Harum Scarum and Frankie & Johnny.

However I'm not sure where Elvis Australia got this info from - as noted on EIN - When contacted, Ernst Jorgensen at FTD said that, NO announcement about this release had been made. He had no idea where this rumour came from.

We will have to wait and see.

Cheers
Piers

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Piers!
Thanks for that info!
I came to think of the rumoured rerelease of the Girl Happy FTD some time ago! I never found that one either!
Regarding F&J and HS I'll stick with my DF releases!
:)

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:19 pm

:| yes i keep wondering if Lene Reidel is the 'only girl in town' like is their no-one else to use for FTD projects? :|

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm

bajo wrote:Hi Piers!
Thanks for that info!
I came to think of the rumoured rerelease of the Girl Happy FTD some time ago! I never found that one either!
Regarding F&J and HS I'll stick with my DF releases!
:)

Girl Happy was not a rumour. The new version is the one they sell now. It has the new masters, but I did not purchase. The new masters can be had on the budget version of Girl Happy also.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Mike DK wrote:FTD should re-do the "Elvis Today" classic album (and leave Lene Reidel out of the project).

And without the white border on the front cover.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:23 pm

trouble_jw wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:The mix on the DF series is superb, the mastering is obsolete.

Agreed

All the Double Feature issues still sound good so it doesn't matter if the mastering is so-called "obsolete".

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:30 pm

chevyford wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:

Agreed

All the Double Feature issues still sound good so it doesn't matter if the mastering is so-called "obsolete".

Very peculiarly KF rubbished the Double Features remixes in a fairly recently issue of EMM.
Strange that, when some of these still remain the definitive editions to own. :?

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:36 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
chevyford wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:

Agreed

Very peculiarly KF rubbished the Double Features remixes in a fairly recently issue of EMM.
Strange that, when some of these still remain the definitive editions to own. :?

An example is the song "Speedway". It is superior in sound quality on the Double Features issue compared to any other issue that has been released since.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:I assume the corrections relate to the LP masters, since they have always sounded muddy and poorer than the other soundtracks cut at Radio Recorders.

TONY. wrote:Will they replace the expensive 'incorrect' first version or do they expect us all to purchase this again? And what was wrong with it anyway???!!

chevyford wrote:Good ol' Ernst is just trying to get us to double dip into our wallets again.

londonflash wrote:I'd like to know exactly why this title is being reissued before commenting further.

Ernst has stated on more than one occasion that if and when they find better sources, they will get them out to the fans as quickly as possible.

If this is a legit report, FTD will be reissuing Frankie and Johnny using an upgraded source.

This is exactly the case in the example of 2009's Girl Happy. In the six years since FTD released the soundtrack in 2003 a new tape source was found, so they reissued the set. They also corrected "You'll Be Gone," which had accidentally included an alternate take (4) instead of the master take (3).

It's not about ripping anyone off.

And where, pray, do they suddenly keep 'finding' these 'new sources' after over 40 years???!! :smt002 Have they checked behind the cushions or under the bed at Graceland?? And why do they make a 'mistake' like issuing an out-take of a song instead of the master that's been available for years??? :smt002 I WONDER! :smt003

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:49 pm

midnightx wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

You mean you don't want the false-start for Help Me?

Or the removal of tons of added, overdone reverb which was never there in the first place as Elvis did not record this concert in a swimming baths.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:52 pm

So would I if only to finally get the full, unfaded version of the master of "Fairytale" with the proper ending, lasting about 40 seconds longer. This was left off the FTD "Today" and supplied to us by the bootleggers (again).

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:33 pm

The extra echo was the only flaw in the songs mastered from 3 track on those soundtracks. I suspect the original tapes were "dry" and the producer went a bit overboard in adding the reverb. They should have done a comparison with the original echo that was added to the 2 track.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:51 am

....wish we could have those mixes and ditch the reverb........

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:14 am

Sorry for bringing this topic up again, but I would like to know if an updated version of F&J FTD was released and how do you know the difference?

Thank you for your help ...

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 am

there hasnt been a reissue as yet

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Nothing happened since. And it's about time for a re-issue of the "Today" album.

chevyford wrote:An example is the song "Speedway". It is superior in sound quality on the Double Features issue compared to any other issue that has been released since.
The best sounding source my ears ever heard was included on the Famous Groove "The Complete Spinout Sessions" bootleg.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Same here.