Off Topic Messages

"Another" Inspirational Human Interest Story!!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:44 am

CBS Sunday Morning (January 13, 2013)
Against all odds >> http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50138905n

Nick Vujicic
phpBB [video]

Nick becoming a dad soon!
phpBB [video]

Last edited by Blue River on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Heartwarming, Inspirational Human Interest Story!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:28 am

Now this is a life example and makes me realize how spoiled we are. Some of us more than others. Most of us around here are perfectly fine in terms of having all limbs, being able to cope with our daily responsibilities... And still we're always finding a reason to argue, to complain, etc. Some of us are always finding a way to put others down in the process to live with themselves, because that's what make them feel better, sadly.

And then there's this guy. In the eyes of our society he probably would be labeled "useless" and a "poor soul". But there he is, leading his life and smiling! And he is thankful for it. He is thankful to the God he believes in. It makes him happy! See, we're perfectly fine, even then we're always finding something to handicap us - but we're the first to throw stones at someone for their belief, as if we were perfect, the ones who hold the truth. Sometimes we just don't realize our place in this huge universe and existence...

God bless this guy, seriously, he's truly an inspiration!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks. I suppose it means you've got to try to make the most of the hand you've been dealt. And he has.

rjm

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 am

I've seen him on "The Hour of Power" with Robert Schuler - what a wonderful testimony.

He is someone who has overcome adversity but has the most positive attitude and gives all the glory to God!

Thanks for posting Blue River.

RKS

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:He is someone who has overcome adversity but has the most positive attitude and gives all the glory to God!

Very well stated, RKS. Thanks for that!
I'm so glad that I saw this story on CBS Sunday Morning last week.

rjm wrote:Thanks. I suppose it means you've got to try to make the most of the hand you've been dealt. And he has.

Yes indeed. There's no doubt that Nick draws his "most" from God.
As the Bible says - Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

billyblues wrote:Now this is a life example...
there he is, leading his life and smiling! And he is thankful for it. He is thankful to the God he believes in.

Thanks for your input, billyblues.
This young man's story is a sobering reminder to me not to take things for granted in life. It's something I have to work on every day.

phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 pm

smt131 Nick Vujicic on "Oprah's Lifeclass" show!

phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 pm

billyblues wrote:Now this is a life example and makes me realize how spoiled we are. Some of us more than others. Most of us around here are perfectly fine in terms of having all limbs, being able to cope with our daily responsibilities... And still we're always finding a reason to argue, to complain, etc. Some of us are always finding a way to put others down in the process to live with themselves, because that's what make them feel better, sadly.

And then there's this guy. In the eyes of our society he probably would be labeled "useless" and a "poor soul". But there he is, leading his life and smiling! And he is thankful for it. He is thankful to the God he believes in. It makes him happy! See, we're perfectly fine, even then we're always finding something to handicap us - but we're the first to throw stones at someone for their belief, as if we were perfect, the ones who hold the truth. Sometimes we just don't realize our place in this huge universe and existence...

God bless this guy, seriously, he's truly an inspiration!

You summed it up quite nicely. Well put. Amazing how one can look at things differently when one puts things in proper perspective. Now I feel like a spoiled crybaby, lol

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:14 am

This guy seriously makes me feel good about my life, no kidding. And more: I just can't understand how our society is moved more and more everyday by things like looking good to other people.

Now, maybe I'm not choosing the best words to back up my argument but hopefully you'll understand. Every single day I turn the TV on, I see the same things: people talking about getting slim, body shape, weight, clothes, beauty, etc, etc. OK, there's nothing wrong about taking care of yourself and of course you have to care about your health. BUT I see perfectly fine people everyday complaining about their face, about their body, about themselves and they just don't realize that there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Everyday I see people way too worried about looking like a broomstick otherwise they'll be seen as fat monsters to our society or something. I mean, this must be a serious issue with their heads - and still everyone thinks it's OK to get so obsessed with those things. I just don't understand, seriously! Look at Nick's example, for God's sake. You can look at it as God's blessing (what I think) and you can look at it as a man who made the most of the hand he has been dealt, as Robin said - I don't care, as I respect all points of view. But the fact is that this guy had everything to just, you know, be there wishing he was dead. Heck, he did wish he was dead indeed when he was 10, as we saw! And what has he done with his life? He turned everything in his favor and showed that you can do what you wish and that you can change your life and others' if you work for the greater good.

It also reminds me of a case around here in Brazil a few years ago when a girl who wanted to be a model ended up ambushed by her ex and was almost killed. She actually survived, against all odds, but ended up with scars on her face. Instead of being thankful and rising above what happened to her, she actually was complaining about her face and that she couldn't be a model anymore. Seriously... Is this what we, humankind, became? Can't we work for the good of all and do the best with our lives the way we are? I hope that someday people will look at examples like Nick and change the way they look at the world, accept themselves for what they are and do the best with it.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 am

billyblues wrote:This guy seriously makes me feel good about my life, no kidding. And more: I just can't understand how our society is moved more and more everyday by things like looking good to other people.

Now, maybe I'm not choosing the best words to back up my argument but hopefully you'll understand. Every single day I turn the TV on, I see the same things: people talking about getting slim, body shape, weight, clothes, beauty, etc, etc. OK, there's nothing wrong about taking care of yourself and of course you have to care about your health. BUT I see perfectly fine people everyday complaining about their face, about their body, about themselves and they just don't realize that there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Everyday I see people way too worried about looking like a broomstick otherwise they'll be seen as fat monsters to our society or something. I mean, this must be a serious issue with their heads - and still everyone thinks it's OK to get so obsessed with those things. I just don't understand, seriously! Look at Nick's example, for God's sake. You can look at it as God's blessing (what I think) and you can look at it as a man who made the most of the hand he has been dealt, as Robin said - I don't care, as I respect all points of view. But the fact is that this guy had everything to just, you know, be there wishing he was dead. Heck, he did wish he was dead indeed when he was 10, as we saw! And what has he done with his life? He turned everything in his favor and showed that you can do what you wish and that you can change your life and others' if you work for the greater good.

It also reminds me of a case around here in Brazil a few years ago when a girl who wanted to be a model ended up ambushed by her ex and was almost killed. She actually survived, against all odds, but ended up with scars on her face. Instead of being thankful and rising above what happened to her, she actually was complaining about her face and that she couldn't be a model anymore. Seriously... Is this what we, humankind, became? Can't we work for the good of all and do the best with our lives the way we are? I hope that someday people will look at examples like Nick and change the way they look at the world, accept themselves for what they are and do the best with it.

All true, but that horse left the barn a while back. They now make camera settings where you take whole "burst" of photos of the same thing (usually your face, they assume), and then search for the "least objectionable." Well, they don't say that, but everybody knows that. And other options that allow you to pick different people's faces from a series of photos, so that every person in the final photo is pictured "at their best." And along with that, the new settings come with instant editing programs, so that the subject of the photo can be immediately modified. And then, there's the apps. "Pic Art Goo" (I think that's what it's called) allows you to literally twist and manipulate whatever's in the image however you want. You can be taller! (Well, I can be taller. But I didn't post that one, okay? It was fun, though, having longer, leggier legs, I thought - just to see it. Wouldn't it be great to have long legs? I think my legs are too short; I'm sure they're just as "normal" as can be - but not to me.) Or whatever. And professional portrait takers, who have shops? They use special software! The kind movie stars use to deceive.

I once posted a photo of a close friend (and his beautiful wife) from a few years back, and he freaked out, and told me to immediately erase it from everywhere: "I was fat!" he bellowed. I didn't really see the difference, but he did. I thought it was a lovely photo. He said "People on Facebook are VAIN! You have to learn that, first thing." People put forward an image of themselves to the world that's not real, and I had to "learn" that!

It's not just Facebook, of course; it's everywhere. I don't think there's any "going back." It's unfortunate, but it's been in process for a long time. I mean, think of our attitudes toward Elvis: we don't ONLY dislike Paradise, Hawaiian Style because we don't care for the music or the plot. We don't like it that he's rather plump, and not as drop-dead gorgeous as he could be. "Change of Habit" isn't the greatest film in the world, but who watches it for that? I mean, we SHOULD, but it's his looks. And that's not right or fair, and not a good way to look at the world. Maybe we'll rise above it in time. You never know.

Thanks, Billy.

rjm

Re: "Another" Inspirational Human Interest Story!!

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 am

billyblues wrote:I hope that someday people will look at examples like Nick and change the way they look at the world, accept themselves for what they are and do the best with it.

You are so right, billyblues. You are so right!

Wow!! Take a look at this brave young man named Brendan Marrocco! If Nick Vujicic hears about him, who knows, he might pay him a friendly visit!
phpBB [video]

He's making phenomenal progress!! ~
PBS >> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/j ... 01-29.html

What a great inspiration this man is (and will be in the future) for others!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm

WOW! How did I miss THIS????? Thank you, BR, for posting this (and thank you, "billyblues" for the link in the PM you sent). Nick Vujicic is a man I would love to meet someday. I get his newsletter in my email every so often.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 am

Tony Trout wrote:WOW! How did I miss THIS????? Thank you, BR, for posting this (and thank you, "billyblues" for the link in the PM you sent). Nick Vujicic is a man I would love to meet someday. I get his newsletter in my email every so often.

I recommended it to you in another thread. Where you said you needed a little . . . inspiration.

Glad you enjoyed it; I know I did. :D

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:46 pm

God can be cruel

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:48 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:God can be cruel

KiwiA,

I don't agree with that statement in this case/situation. It's not God being cruel, IMO, it's God showing the world that He can take someone with a disability such as Nick's and use Nick to change other's lives who may also have a disability (such as myself - I have Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus). Both Nick and a lady named Joni Eareckson-Tada (she was paralyzed in a swimming accident as a young age) are huge inspirations to me.

(Robin: I apologize for not seeing this sooner and not realizing that this was the thread you had given me a link to via PM a while back. My apologies, my dearest friend.)

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm

He did alright on days 1 to 5, it's day 6 where he went wrong.
Luckily we have taken notice and now work for 5 days instead of 6.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:07 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:

That's not funny. :x :roll:

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

That's what I said when he drowned us all except Noah and his family because He relaised He failed miserably creating humans in his image.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:58 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

That's what I said when he drowned us all except Noah and his family because He relaised He failed miserably creating humans in his image.

I actually had forgotten about that verse in the Bible in Genesis. He truly was angry because of what the human race that He had made had turned themselves into so...He destroyed the Earth and everyone else BUT Noah, Noah's wife and their children and their children's children, I believe. So...that makes me wonder if alot of ministers don't realize that God destroyed Earth once and then made it over again? (I know I'm not making a lot of sense here...sorry..it's still early here...)

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 am

Tony Trout wrote:

KiwiA,

I don't agree with that statement in this case/situation. It's not God being cruel, IMO, it's God showing the world that He can take someone with a disability such as Nick's and use Nick to change other's lives who may also have a disability (such as myself - I have Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus). Both Nick and a lady named Joni Eareckson-Tada (she was paralyzed in a swimming accident as a young age) are huge inspirations to me.

(Robin: I apologize for not seeing this sooner and not realizing that this was the thread you had given me a link to via PM a while back. My apologies, my dearest friend.)

No worries, Tony! I'm glad you saw it! :D

Best,
Robin

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:37 am

I get it now. When something good happens it is down to God....when something bad happens, like baby being born without arms and legs, well.....

I bet he's sweating bullets over the Pope