Off Topic Messages

Lisa Marie on BBC Radio 2 - "Tracks of My Years"

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

I put this in "Off Topic" rather than "All Elvis", as it's about LMP. I wasn't sure if I made the right decision though! I think fewer people will get to listen to the shows if they're advertised in "Off Topic".

All this week Lisa Marie was Ken Bruce's guest on his show "Tracks of My Years". Her ten tracks which mean a lot to her in some way were:

Rocky Mountain High - John Denver (Broadcast on the 11th)
Mary in the Morning - Elvis (11th)
Harvest Moon - Neil Young (12th)
The Thrill is Gone - BB King (12th)
If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot (13th)
Jolene - Dolly Parton (13th)
Smoke and Ashes - Tracy Chapman (14th)
The Blower's Daughter - Damien Rice (14th
These Days - Glen Campbell (15th)
Hey You - Pink Floyd (15th)

She spoke about her troubled teenage years, the production on her latest material compared to her what was on her previous songs, how she enjoys life now, the traits that she admires in the people of Sussex and England, her musical interests, and why she chose a particular track.

Speaking of the beautiful Mary in The Morning as her chosen Elvis track, she said she likes the obscure 70s songs, mainly because it's something that she remembers the most, and especially as she saw him perform some of the those favourites live. She added that I'm Leavin' and Just Pretend were of that ilk too. When asked if he sung songs like Mary in The Morning at home or merely in performance, she said he didn't tend to sing them at home, but he did sing Can't Help Falling in Love to her. She laughed affectionately as she recalled being spanked by her father. Once, after she got on the back of someone's motorcyle at night, the bike fell on top of her hurting her leg. Elvis spanked her backside for getting onto that bike. Later on, he woke her up in the middle of the night as he felt terrible about what he did, and sang CHFIL to her.

She said that late at night she puts on Mary in the Morning , a track which she just loves.

And me too - For me, I enjoyed hearing on the radio one of his prettiest songs.

Sadly, you may not be able to listen to the shows on the website if you're outside the UK, but I could be wrong.

11th February show (Slot is at 2:12:15; Elvis track is at 2:18:00):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qjd9h

Here is the Radio 2 site which lists each of her appearances on the show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wr34/episodes/guide

Re: Lisa Marie on BBC Radio 2 - "Tracks of My Years"

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:10 am

Thank's a lot for posting this!!! 8)

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:14 am

Did you tape it ? If so put the Mary in The Morning and Can't help falling in Love annecdotes on You Tube. They deserve to be heard. Hey does Lisa collect any of the FTD series ?

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:18 am

Interesting Topic -Ty For Postn It Suds ::rocks

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:52 am

It's refreshing to hear some of the 70s Elvis tracks being praised.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Read many years ago that "Mary In The Morning" was one of her favorite tracks.
Also when "Close up" box was released 10 years ago LMP said that "How great thou art" was the best track on that box......advance copy.
It looks like she are well informed on whats released from the BMG vault.